Sign in to follow this  
kpinnc

Be careful who you let drive your car!

kpinnc

My mom took my sister's car to have new tires put on it Monday, just because she wasn't working, and my sister was. She thought she'd be helping her save some time. ONE AND ONE HALF MILES AFTER THE TIRES WERE MOUNTED, mom lost control of the car and hit a tree. All because she was trying to get her cell phone charger out of the back seat while riding down the road.... :thumbs:

Mom broke her foot in four places, which will require surgery to heal correctly. She also broke 4 ribs. In addition to the burns from the airbag, she is black and blue head to toe, and had left her hand badly brusied because she shattered the windshield with it. :thumbs:

The tree is fine, but we fear it may sue due to whiplash. Of course, it didn't even try to get out of the way... :D

Guys, I'm not making fun of my mother. We're so happy she wasn't killed that we are trying to laugh about it now, as it will be a krappy 10-12 weeks of recovery. Mom is confined to her recliner, as she must sit upright to allow her to breathe, and must sleep in a chair on top of all her pain. It takes 3 people and 30 minutes to get her to the bathroom... :P

2005 Chevy Monte Carlo Supercharged SS= $22,000

Four Michelin 235/55/r17 tires= $800

Earnhardt Jr license plate= $20

Getting to keep your mom after she totals a car= Priceless

And so begins the fight with Allstate. Sis already had the new tires pulled back off of the car. The front right is obviously in question, but we'll have it checked out.

Here are the pics:

untitled.jpg

2.jpg

8.jpg

Kevin

TT

I guess we're not supposed to swear on here, so you can just fill in the blank:

HOLY _____ ! ! ! ! ! :thumbs:

I guess she's a lucky woman (?), Kevin -- and I wish her a speedy recovery! :thumbs:

chevelletown

Glad your mom is safe at home. Do you think the supercharged engine can be salvaged and fit in a wheel horse? :thumbs:

kpinnc

I guess she's a lucky woman (?), Kevin -- and I wish her a speedy recovery!

Thanks Terry- She's OK, all things considered. She just says "it hurts to think"... :thumbs:

Chevelletown- It's mounted sideways, so I guess we'd just need to find drive belts that would handle the HP!

Kevin

T-Mo

Man, I hope your mom recovers quickly. My son-in-law flipped his Neon SRT-4 3 times a few weeks ago, totally the car. He escaped with just a nasty cut on his head. Those SRT-4s are some :thumbs: cars.

kj4kicks

OUCH !!! Glad to hear that she'll be ok !

pond195520032003

:D :P Kevin, like the rest of the guys said we hope for a speedy recovery! its always scary when anyone you know has been in an accident let alone a family member! :D i guess its a good reality check :thumbs: now you could use the engine in a tractor the modified tractor section :thumbs:

Nick

:thumbs: Glad to hear your Mom is doing ok. I'm sure you will all have something to joke about when she has recovered. For years we joked with Mom about burning our snowmobile to the ground, funny part was that while it burnt she swept the carpet just in case the firemen came inside when they got there. :D.

20 years ago I rolled my 1982 Capri 2.3l end over end then 3 or 4 more barrel rolls for good measure. Only takes less than 120 hp to do it right. :P The engine was possessed though. :thumbs: I sold the engine to a guy for his daughters car, she rolled that car to. :D

Nick in Ohio

kpinnc

Thanks everyone!

She's gonna be fine! That little woman is too stubborn not to be OK! :thumbs:

She'll be grumpy for a while- but you know how moms are. She thinks it's funny that the tables have now turned. She says it's payback time for years of waiting hand-and-foot on my sister and I! :thumbs:

In typical mom fashion, she was much more upset about my sister's car than her own injuries. Go figure...

Kevin

Stigian

:thumbs: ouch!

Wishing your mum a fast recovery Kevin :thumbs:

Greg B.

Kevin,

Glad to hear your mom's gonna be okay. There'll be more cars.

Greg B.

nylyon

That's it, no cell phone for a month! Glad to hear that she'll be okay, and it sounds like it was a nice car. The Dale Jr. license plate frame was probably the old #8, so it needed updating anyway. :thumbs:

CasualObserver

Glad you got to keep your mom... darn tree... should've known better than to be standing there! :thumbs:

A lesson for everyone I suppose... I know I'm guilty of reaching for things in the back seat all the time.

kpinnc

Funny thing was, she missed a turn and had stopped to turn around when her "low battery" chimed in. She pulled back out onto the road before reaching for the charger.

She was only going 35-40 when she lost it. Obviously a good thing....

Thanks again folks!

Kevin

driver006

:thumbs: Hope no elves were making cookies in the tree at the time. Glad you mom is ok

kpinnc

Hope no elves were making cookies in the tree at the time. Glad you mom is ok

There will be a surplus of fudge if there was... :thumbs:

Kevin

combatmp29r

Wow kevin!!!! Like everyone else I'm glad your Mom survived and wish her a speedy recovery. Or wish for you she has a speedy recovery you decide which. Now I've heard those NC tress were rude but not moving out of the way is just downright awful :thumbs:

Kelly

Kevin, Hope your Mom has a speedy recovery.

Bummer about the car, it was nice.