Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Any wood workers out there

T-Mo

Saw this:

Chinese Plywood

This is of interest to me because I have been buying a lot of OSB, plywood, etc. lately for some home projects. Now I have to be on the look out for, not only warped wood, but poor quality wood products also. :thumbs:

Rollerman

Wow..thats something else.

Kinda make me thing of that big store chain that at one time advertised it's products as being american.

Now I don't know if you can find an american product in the place?

I didn't think it come down to the very wood we use. :thumbs:

I used to work at a place a long time back that made "batten strips" for the mobile home industry.

The luan board we used came from Malaysia & I can't say anything of the qaulity...I can say there were some bizarre critters smashed in those bundles!

kj4kicks

Thanks for the link, Terry. That's a good read, and it rings very true. I have owned a Shopsmith for over 15 years.

This is just another reason why I do not support anything that is imported !

combatmp29r

My sisters in-laws own a large sawmill here in Oh and in PA. They export 80% of their hardwoods to China and Japan. Get a better price there then they do here. You can't tell me its cheaper to ship our wood out and ship their junk wood in :thumbs:

Stephen thats the reason that even though Lowes and Home depot has better prices most contractors still buy from the local lumber yards that still sell GP and other trusted names like that. I'm out of the contracting buisness since Iraq made it hard to run a company from over there :thumbs: I still talk to alot of old buddies that tell me horror stories about stuff like that on job sites where the general contractor buys cheap lumber to help pad their pockets. :D

CasualObserver

I'm a hobby woodworker myself, and never would have dreamed that you'd run into a box blade in the middle of a sheet! It's a real shame that just about every industry is beginning to have problems with china made stuff... makes me want to reconsider my upcoming repower purchase from Harbor Freight I want the Honda anyway... but man... the Honda's more than double that price! :thumbs:

TR_DIGGER

"Wood" not suprise me a bit. Make you wonder how many have not been found.

Ty

wesley

Hi all, well its the same here, the wood that gets imported here now is rubbish, and its real hard to make a good job , and on top of that steel has gone through the roof in price as china is buying all the steel it can get, at one time if l wanted to make a project etc then would just ring up and order the steel then pay when it came , but not now its so dam dear you have to get a price beforehand to se if you can afford it, l tend to recycle old steel made things now if l can to make what l want , its all gone silly , well theres my two bits worth .

wes

combatmp29r

Wes steel is the same here. some thing that would have cost under $50 to build a few years back is well up in the $300 range now :thumbs: I have a buddy that buys and hauls scrap for a living. I've started raiding his yard for usable bits and pieces and paying him scrap price rather than buy new. Every now and then though I gotta break down and cough up the cash for a piece, then beg forgiveness from the Mrs :thumbs:

wesley

HMMMMMMMMMMMM sounds like home to me, every time l say hi to the mrs its nope no more machines and then donr even go there and say the poor man needs the room so his lathe needs a home, dam it gets harder to grovel lol .

wes