Sign in to follow this  
perry

windshield replacement

perry

out of the many cars & trucks i have own, this is the first one that i am going to have ta replace the darn windshield :thumbs: . this is on a 1982 chevy S-10 pickup. i would like to tackle this myself. anybody here done one? are they a pain in the arse ?.

Rollerman

I never have Perry....but the neighbor across tha alley is pretty handy with cars & has changed a few windsheilds on that style of Blazer.

If there is anything you need to know I could ask him?

T-Mo

Perry,

My brother-in-law and myself have replaced a few windshields. It's not too hard, but there are some tricks.

First off, removing one on a hot day is easier than removing one on a cold day. It is easier to cut through the existing adhesive when on a hot day.

You can use old throttle cables to cut through or even old guitar strings. It's also easier if you have someone to help you. Be patient and be sure you don't cut into the glass.

Remove all trim first that you can get to. You can use a lighter to heat up a wire (coat hanger works good) to penetrate the seal first before putting in your cable. With one guy on the inside and one on the outside use a see-saw approach and keep the line taunt and go slow.

There are tools that you can rent to do this, but we have never been successful using them like we have when using some sort of cable.

After the glass is out, be sure you clean the old adhesive out.

The adhesive we use comes in a tube that you use a caulk gun with. It's black and we only found it at a couple of auto parts store (not Autozone). We had the best results with this adhesive and we hadn't had a leak yet.

perry

somebody had mention to me that this was a pressed in seal type. there is no trim around the window. looks like the wiper arms and cowl plate is going to have come off.

s10002.jpg

s10001.jpg

combatmp29r

Yep thats a press in seal alright. I did one like that about 8 years bask Perry but my CRS is keeping me from giving you too much advice on it right now. I'll try to get a hold of a buddy of mine that does it alot and get some info :thumbs:

T-Mo

Removing the wiper arms will make it easier to do the job. Also removing the cowl would be nice also. Remove anything that will be in the way or that you think will be in the way. You don't want to cut into the old glass as that will impede your progress and weaken your cable or wire you're using. And if you had a donor vehicle, then the reason for not cutting into it is obvious, as well as what I mentioned above.

It is easier to remove the old windshield if it stays intact. So be sure you have cut all around the windshield before trying to remove it. You don't want shards of glass still imbedded in the seal, nor do you want to have jagged edges to deal with. Like I said, be patient.

perry

i just found out that this one might be epoxyed / glued in and that the outer seal is just decoration. something with the black around the window gives it away :thumbs: . joel i sure hope your right. i here the press in type arent too bad to replace.

T-Mo

i just found out that this one might be epoxyed / glued in and that the outer seal is just decoration. something with the black around the window gives it away :thumbs: . joel i sure hope your right. i here the press in type arent too bad to replace.

Perry,

I think you will find this one is glued in and that the seal you see if on the outside. That seal will have to be pried off first.

Nick

You might want to call around to see what it costs to have it done. Last one I had done was a few years back and an F-250 but it was only around $200 plus they came to the house to do it.

perry

You might want to call around to see what it costs to have it done. Last one I had done was a few years back and an F-250 but it was only around $200 plus they came to the house to do it.

i believe nick has the answer :thumbs: ill have to call around. to darn cold anyway to be messin with a windshield.

chevelletown

Well, well finially something on Red Square I have some knowledge about :thumbs: Perry I have owned a glass shop for over 20 years and installed auto glass since I was a kid. I can mail you all of the installation materials, and instructions you need to installl the windshield. I'll even loan you some tools that will help. Your S-10 windsheld is simple to replace, about the only tricky thing is removing the cowl. The trim from the factory is a push-in style but I can send you a updated style that will make things simpler and less messy. You can get a windshiled at a place like Keystone Auto Parts (if you have one in your area) or I can arrange for you to pick one up at a local PPG or LOF (now Pilkington) branch.

My price on a windshield is about $45.00 and the NAGS part numper is DW943GBN. Let me know if you need my help.

T-Mo

Ken,

That is a good price on that windshield. The tools you have is probably the ones I hadn't figured out how to use. :imstupid: I always use a wire or cable to cut out windshields. :thumbs:

chevelletown

Terry, I still keep plenty of wire in my tool box, some times the old basic ways are still the best (like Wheel Horse tractors) :thumbs:

Rollerman

I don't have anything to add about the windsheild itself.... :thumbs:

Just wanted to say it's good to see members of Red Square steping up to help other ones! :thumbs:

nylyon

Just a tid bit. Check with your insurance company to see if by chance you have glass replacement in your policy. If you do, most glass places will come to your house, replace the windscreen and leave you a receipt billing the insurance company directly.