Sign in to follow this  
combatmp29r

JD Wheel weights

combatmp29r

OK no flack here guys :thumbs::D:P I know JD used to mount their rear wheels opposite of wheel horse. Basicly with 100% back space and no real front recess. I know for sure alot of 110s were like that. Anyone (JD TERRY) know what side the valve stem was on? I have the rears on the V18 reversed like that so as not to widden it too much, but of course that means my wheel weights block the valve stems :thumbs: I think JD wheel weight s had recesses for the stems, but been so long since we've owned JD L&G stuff I can't remember for sure.

TT

A JD rear wheel is not full offset -- it has the center welded closer to the middle of the wheel. Because of the wider rear axle housing, they are inside-out compared to Wheel Horses. The valve stem is still on the "inside" of the wheel, so when installed on a JD, they are on the outside.

If you want your valve stem on the other side, just drill the wheel out where you want it, and weld the original hole shut. :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Hmmmm :thumbs: Why you gotta make it so simple??? I supose it would have helped if I found this issue before I painted and reloaded the wheels huh? I knew the JDs were inside out, just didn't realize they were nuetral (center) offset. Did JD wheel weights have notches for the valve stems?

TT

Yes they did..... some have one notch, some have two, and others actually have four -- depending on which weights they are.

combatmp29r

Hmmmm at this point I may be better off finding some JD wheel weights and doing a color change. I can make another set of rims and paint them up later. I guess I could dual them and put the weights on the normal set too. Then I would have to find more Titan (goodyear ) tires :thumbs: Decisions decisions :thumbs:

T-Mo

I have been away from the confuser for awhile, so I'm jumping in here a little late.

JD does mount the rims with the valve stems out, usually. But that's not always the case. JD rims were designed so you can mount them backwards or inside out, if you will. This allow for a wide stance so the tractor could be more stable on slopes.

The weights did had a notch for the valve stem. JD also made weights that could be mounted on the inside of the rim (facing into the tractor). For the 400 series, JD had "starter weights" - weights that were mounted under the outside wheel weight, sort of stacking the weights.

JD also used slab weights that could be bolted on the front bumpers of the round fendered 110s and 112s. These could also be mounted on the 200 series, but it required a bracket to be bolted on the front. There's a guy in Minnesota who makes these brackets now. Also JD made slab weights for the 108, 111, 112L and 116 lawn tractors that bolted to the rear hitch plate. These weights also could be use as a replacement for the slab weights mentioned above as the bolt hole pattern was the same. I had a set of those for my JD 112L and man it sure kept that rear end down when I mowed on slopes. I traded that 112L for my current C-141 and then sold the weights to a guy from North Dakota. Sorry for going :thumbs:

Under edit:

Then there were the suitcase weights that hooked on front bumpers or front or rear brackets. I have 2 of those (42 lbs each) for my JD X320 that mounts perfectly on the rear hitch plate. I like these because I can remove them or mount them in seconds. I only use these when I mow slopes as it keeps the rear end down on the X320.

There are also weight boxes that JD uses to mount whatever you have for weight, i.e. dirt, gravel, rocks, bricks, etc. These boxes mount on the 3 point hitches of their garden tractors, or you can buy brackets that are used in conjunction with these weight boxes.

combatmp29r

No problem Terry. I knew about the front weights but not the hitch weights.

T-Mo

Sorry, Joel, but while you was typing your last response, I've edited my post to include a paragraph on suitcase weights and weight boxes.

TR_DIGGER

:thumbs:

How about some pics of weights and what you all have come up with as far as weight. I remember seeing a pic of someone with a box of stuff(even a cast iron skillet):thumbs:

Later Ty

combatmp29r

Dolt :thumbs: Now I have to back up and read again. Don't worry Terry while we were all discussing the whole wheel weight deal and the V18 valve stem issue I remembered I bought a set in IN that I have to pick up yet. They should fix the valve stem issue. Anyone know what the are originally off? I'm gonna say the chunk to clear the stems was cut out and not factory :thumbs:

wheelweights.jpg

TR_DIGGER

Here is a pic of 2, left one I have on my 953 being from a David-Bradley walk behind, and the one on the right :thumbs: I'm not sure.

Later Ty

Attached Image

post-12-1203357729.jpg

TR_DIGGER

Ooops, versa visa

pond195520032003

Ty, the one on the left is a sears weight! i have 2 pair of them :thumbs:

TR_DIGGER

Thanks Greg, I was wondering if anyone could tell me. :thumbs: