Sign in to follow this  
Greg Parnell

702 for my little girl

Greg Parnell

I'm looking for your opinions....so let'er rip. :scratchead:

I'm restoring a 702 for my little girl and am torn between painting it back Wheel Horse red to match her brothers 753 or making it extra special just for her and painting it pink and lavender.

What would you do?

wheel horse 1045

if its for her paint it whatever she wants and make her day

stevasaurus

Pink and Lavender...sounds like you are walking down a doll isle at Toys are Us.

It is nice that you are doing a tractor for your little girl. :scratchead:

My suggestion would be to paint it red and pinstripe or accent in a pinkish

tone that would look good with the red. :hide: my 2 cents.

KB9LOR

I like both ideas!! But hey, you want it nice yet functional, I would like to see that Red with pink or lavender accents, my granddaughter would love it! Maybe the next one, who knows :scratchead:

Brian

nylyon

If her favorite colors are pink and lavender and it's her machine, I would go with that, it's just paint but the sense of pride she'll have is worth much more than that, maybe even get some special decals to match.

Better yet, draw an outline of the tractor, give her a box of crayons and have her color it how she wants. Then try to match it, how cool would that be for her?

Indy w h

Make ur daughter happy with pink w/ red pin stripes

there's one thing u can't change is that it's still a

WHEELHORSE!!!!!!!!!! :scratchead: :hide:

DMESS

Somewhere I've seen a Horse (Lawn Ranger I think) where the owner exchanged the red for pink and left the Linen Beige in all the usual places. I thought it looked very tasteful this way since the pink and "white" go together quite well. (think 50's two tone automobiles) I'd go as far as to replace the red in the hood and dash decals with matching pink and also maybe get a pink and beige seat cover stitched up for the finishing touch. This would make an attractive "girls" machine IMO. :scratchead:

dkopp

Why not paint it like the old farmall demonstrator tractors, white with red wheels or pink wheels.

Kelly

I say paint it whatever makes her happy, paint can be changed later, never know she might become a collector someday because you did this for her, and kept he interested by painting it how she wanted.

dr74go

I agree with Kelly and Wheel Horse 1045, paint it what ever she wants. My father and I just built a miniature dune buggy for my brother's daughter. We asked her what her favorite colors were and they were pink and purple. The dune buggy is pink and purple. She loves it. Every time she goes to my fathers, she wants to ride her pink thing.

As others have said, it can always be repainted.

DL

stevebo

This was the topic at the dinner table last night... I am restoring a RJ35 for my 6 year old and she likes the pink as well. Dad had to put his foot down on this one and tell her that red is a nice "pretty" color and if she wanted pink then we could have a seat cover make in pink and white. Good compromise ..... the seat cover can come off easy and be made for not a lot of $$. My issue is that she will lose interest in the machine after not too long then I am left with a pink wheelhorse that will need to be re painted for me to use ot or sell it... My 2 cents but it is your machine and your little girl. Maybe dad can convince her red is a great color ?? Good luck- :scratchead:

Gene_S

Hi Greg

I agree with most everyone here and especially Kelly, keep her interested and paint can be changed. Not only little girls want a pink tractor. I talked my wife out of pink on her lawn ranger and then we run into Pat (jusjeepn) :scratchead: and he is doing a pink tractor for his wife. Now I have to do another one but in pink! So I understand where your coming from... Pink it is!!! :hide:

Thanks,

Gene :ychain:

Greg Parnell

My girl is 1 so her Mom and I are helping her choose the colors. We definately will go with a non red Wheel Horse color for the 702 but the colors and paint scheme are still up in the air.

I like the idea of using an outline of the tractor and working on the color scheme. I'll use that one.

:scratchead: Ummm I wonder if she'll need a matching wagon too? I see another future project. :hide:

Thanks guys!!!

HorseFixer

I agree, make a PINKY out of it if that is what she wants. :scratchead: Now if it were a SENIOR we would hafta talk about that! :hide:

kpinnc

I saw a RH at the show that was a lavender color, and was a very nice resto with a matching kids tricycle next to it. I wish I had taken some pics!

My daughters went nuts over it, and I'm still debating this one myself. Knowing how my girls are, they like something for about 15 minutes- then they never have anything to do with it again.

If it is her tractor, I say go for it. I think it's a great idea!

Kevin

Kelly

I think this is the one Kevin was talking about, my Daughter took this pic because she thought it was cute, the sun was kinda bright and washed the picture but it was a very nice tractor

100_1446.jpg

Michcruiser60

I like the pink and white for her. I'd go with that before she changes her mind to green and yellow. :hide:

Well... girls can change their minds too, just like women do. :scratchead:

Mich60

kpinnc

I think this is the one Kevin was talking about

Yep, that's it Kelly. :scratchead:

Suburban 550

Kelly and Kevin, that's the same one I saw at the WH show and it looks great. Go for it Greg. :scratchead:

Greg Parnell

Well I'm not having any luck finding the purple and lavender colors we wanted to use for the 702 in rattle cans. I never realized that these colors were so scarse.

There are colors of purple and lavender out there in rattle cans, but they don't match what I want.

I've not given up but the project has hit an unexpected road block. My kids may end up with matching red Wheelhorses, which is cool too.

Kelly

Go to a automotive paint store, most of them can mix any color paint you want and put it in a rattle can, little pricey but it will be very good paint.

stevasaurus

Greg...this turned out to be a great thread. I was tickeled many times re-reading it. I like the Kelly idea of coloring a drawing, and after seeing the photo of the lavender horse...I like it :scratchead:

So, what does this mean? Well, we all have a female side :ychain: and there is the part of us that says red rules. Botom line...it is just paint...I would love to do my 502 in a gold based - candy apple. Always loved that color.

If your daughter ever decides she doesn't like that color, let me know...may not have to be repainted. :hide: cool

W9JAB

Go with the "BARBIE" theme, But don't get caught driving it yourself! :scratchead:

Greg Parnell

Thanks guys, I've not set this dream out to pasture yet, it's just gonna take more searching for the paint colors than I expected.

I thought I was going to be able to walk into Walmart and pick up the perfect colors of gloss rustoleum paint. nope that didn't happen

Where's the paint colors I want? :hide:

Oh man this doesn't match :ychain:

dog-gone-it :scratchead:

We'll I'll keep looking :ychain:

For now I'm still cleaning and priming all the parts so no big rush.

bustedglass

Hey stevasaurus,

I just noticed your signature that you are from Elgin, IL. . I grew up in Carpentersville, IL., and my Grandparents lived in Elgin. I still have many relatives in the Elgin, South Elgin area. I moved here to KY. from Joliet, IL. about 5 years ago.

Small world indeed :scratchead: .