Sign in to follow this  
dunk50

418-A decision!!!!???????

dunk50

Well, I have a nice 416-H and was looking for a rear discharge deck. Found one in decent shape not far away but it was attached to a 418-A. Ended up buying both. Tractor fired right up. Now you knew most of this but the other day I started taking the 418 apart, degreased it and started taking inventory. Decided to change oil, plugs, filters, fuel line etc. Did all that, crossed my fingers and fired it up. Instant start. Hydro works fine and everything is looking good. Now the only question is what to do with that big hole in the BLOCK. Oh well, win some loose some. Now I will have to take pause and rethink this situation. Tractor seems solid as a whole. Tires are good, hydro is good, trans is good. Does need a lot of TLC and a motor of course. Any thoughts!! I would not put a new motor on it but possibly a used one at the right price.

JimD

i guess if the deck works on the 416, i'd swap it over to have a mower, then either put the 418 on a back burner, while looking for an engine, or sell it, or part it out to save other horses. there might be some interest here on the square for either the tractor as a whole, or in the parts. tough decisions. but wait and get more opinions before you do anything. there are some very wise members here that may have what you need, or a better idea. best of luck, no matter what! :scratchead:

dunk50

Here is the best photo I can muster. It does apear that a rod let go as there is an area of approx. 4 or 5 square inches that bulges out with the piece missing from the hole. like I said, it does run and actually sounds pretty good. No idea! Back burner!

3985075260_2a42b309fc.jpg

oldandred

looks like some had ben into that engine before I see the red or orange gasket stuff

baerpath

If your close to me I'd be interested in the motor with or without the tractor tractor. I'm in Upstate NY area

Duane

DMESS

See my comments in your other post.

stevebo

I can tell you from past experience that a twin can ron on 1 cylinder. I bought a 416 with an onan that ran but was rough. After taking it apart I found that it was rebuilt with just one piston. :scratchead:

I agree, you NEVER know when you will come across another motor for it. I say use the deck and put the tractor to the side. You will kick yourself when you find a motor about 1 week after you sell or part the tractor out.

Good luck-

WHC-125

JB weld a piece of aluminium on there :hide: :scratchead:

dunk50

JB weld a piece of aluminium on there :hide::scratchead:

Several guys have suggested JB weld. I am no stranger to it BUT, my question is WHY it shattered from the inside out. HAS to be something wrong inside. At least I am going to try and check real good. If i can?? Oil sloshing around in the pan or crank case didn't knock the wall out a 1/4 inch and cause the hole.

Kelly

I had a onan that ran good on one cyl. stumbled a little, I thought was the carb, but one side the exh. after running was cold, so I pulled the head, and it had a broken rod.

baerpath

the Kohler twins sometimes drop the govener gear. I would split the case and see if thats what made the hole. Fairly easy fix if you have the tools

Duane

dunk50

BP, thanks for the advice but unfortunately that is beyond me. I am going to be relegated to taking it apart for curiosity sake to see what happened and then buy a used motor. Or still might part it out.

wfopete

Well, a feller has to put those extra parts somwwhere but whatever it was, it's out now.