Sign in to follow this  
usmc041127

drive belt on my 520-H

usmc041127

I finaly got the motor done and put on and bought new drive belts for the mower and transmision. The drive belt keeps popping off so I ended up taking it to the toro dealer 2 wks ago and finaly hear from them. They are telling my that theres something in the transmission is locking up causing the belt to come off. I ran it around probly 10 minutes a few times and comes off while driving and just setting and iddling. It does seem to come off quicker when I iddle it up. I really don't think I have a transmision problem. The guy I bought it from never mentioned it and is an honest person. The belt seemed alittle looser then I like and was rubbing on one of the pullies in the side torwards the motor slicint it abit. Is there anything else this could be. They told me iti will cost 100.00 for them to pull the rearend out and 60.00 more to see what the problem is and said a replacement rearend is 2400.00 plus the labor so far and to put it back in. Any one got any ideas. I know that the dealership can be wrong they have been wrong many times on my families stuff. The are the only wheelhorse/toro dealer around her so I am stuck. Thanks Mike

nylyon

I'm no expert on this, but I would think that if something was locking up in the trans, the belt would either stall the engine or it would make a nice smoke show. When you replaced the belt, did you use the Toro part number or an aftermarket one? Also you mentioned you had the motor done, are you sure that it is in alignment with the rear? Finally, check where the rear mounts to the frame to be sure that it's not coming apart.

That's all I can think of now, but the rear locking up is a tough one to buy.

usmc041127

It all looks fine it only has 4 bolts that mount to the frame so that cant be wrong. It don't smoke what so ever or lose any power. The belt is an acual toro belt i had to order from them. I wonder if all the 520h use the same belt or if they changed them on the newer ones because mine it the older wheelhorse 520h.

mnWHfan

Have you checked the belt tensioner assembly? I have seen the brackets for these get very worn to the point that the new belt was almost touching itself. It's just something to check.

Dennis :scratchead:

usmc041127

That is what my initial thought was when I took it in. I know there is barly anytension on the belt. I am getting ready to go pick it up. I wonder if I can justput a heavy spring on it or If I am going to have to get the whole assembly.

hummod

The belt on my 520 was real loose and came off a few times. What I found was the shaft that the idle pulley pivots on was one inch lower than it sholud have been

because the hood stand was very worn. It had almost sawed the shaft in half too.

I took a hole saw to the hood stand and inserted large bushings to get it back in place. The idle pully was worn and needed replaced. It woud bounce as if it

was off center. I have had no problems since. Hours on the tractor are over

Larry (hummod)

can whlvr

Same thing happened to my 308,where the clutch idler shaft went through the body it wore an ovel hope,had to repair with thicker metal but i like the bushing idea wheelhorse should have done this here like on the implement lift.

Duff

I know that the dealership can be wrong they have been wrong many times on my families stuff. The are the only wheelhorse/toro dealer around her so I am stuck.

Mike, as you see here, you're not stuck - lots of guys here willing to help you work through this problem. :scratchead:

And although I try to support local businesses when I can, it sounds like that dealership is a place to avoid if at all possible! :ychain:

Duff :hide:

usmc041127

You guys a great a big help. I am hopping to look at it this wk end more and hopefully fix it. I did tare up the deck unloading it. They had the deck all the way down and broke my new belt. I got the tractor hung on the ramps right in the middle. It wasn't a pleasant site by myself and having to get to work. The deck or a spindle caught the ramp. So I gues in might have bent a spendel but it cant be too bad. Just another chore.