Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

518-H Hydro problems

Stigian

Good afternoon Guy's.

When I went to move my 518-H the other day I noticed that the Hydro lift on the cutting deck did not want to raise the deck.

After a bit of reving the engine it did decide to lift off the ground very fast!!

Ive just checked the trans oil which is at the right level, the problem is the oil looks a bit on the white side, not clear and it has a nasty burnt smell :hide:

Will changing the oil get things running as they should or is there more of a nasty problem about to show it's head?

This hydro lark is new to me so any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks guy's :scratchead:

Sparky

White :scratchead: ? I wonder if its got some water in it. I would do a tranny service with new fluid and filter right away.

Mike.........

hodge

My 520 would do that sometimes, but not all the time. Otherwise, it was very strong and dependable. I figured that sometimes it took a minute for fluid pressure to build.

Stigian

Thanks for the reply's Guy's :hide:

Mike.

The oil more cloudy than white, so fingers crossed only a little bit of water has found it's way into the trans.

Is the filter unique to WH's or would a car filter of the same size fit?

Are they like "standard" filters or do they have something strange going on inside :scratchead:

Hodge.

Kinda nice to know im not alone with this problem.

Like your 520 my 518 still moves well, the drive is as strong as ever, strange it's just the lift thingy that's playing up :ychain:

Me thinks a trip down the local motor spares shop is needed tomorrow..

Sparky

There is some sort of differance between a WH filter and one for an automotive application but I cant remember what it is. Might be something to do with a bypass valve or something.

Be safe and get the right one Ian.

Mike......

htopjimmy26

I concur with Sparky, I believe that the filter has no bypass in it and there are some will fit auto oil filters that fit but bypass. Better to save a few bucks/Quid elsewhere. Good Luck :scratchead:

hodge

There has to be a difference in filters- when I got my 520, it had some extra napa filters with it, and they had "hydraulic filter" printed on them.

stevebo

In speaking with a friend who knows hydro systems he said that if it has a leak somewhere in the line the fluid would turn white. Any leaks??

linen beige

Ordinary auto oil filters have pressure bypass valves in them so that if the filter clogs oil, albeit filthy, will still flow to the bearings. Hydro filters have no bypass valves. Using an oil filter in a hydro tranny opens up the possibility that the filter could clog and open up the bypass, introducing sludge into the pump. That's something you DO NOT want to happen.

bmuone

Good discussion. I've read other post on this subject and was very confused on the trans filter conflict. Jims simple post above finally made it clear for my brain filter to see the difference and know what filter to look for. Thanks Jim. Have a goodun......Dayton

Stigian

Thanks for all the good advise Guy's :scratchead:

In speaking with a friend who knows hydro systems he said that if it has a leak somewhere in the line the fluid would turn white. Any leaks??

I had a good look yesterday, no sign of any leaks, which made me happy :ychain:

Had a look for a parts number on the filter as well, but couldn't find one.

My guess is the writing on the filter must be facing the WH which means I can't read it with taking half the 'orse apart or taking the filter off which I don't want to do without having a new filter to put straight on.

You can guess what's coming next....

Yep, that's right.. Anyone got a parts number for the filter?

Thanks Guy's :hide:

Sparky

I used the model # off a 1988 520-H to get these #s as your tractor is a European model only I think and I couldnt find a model # for it. I'm sure the tranny is an Eaton 1100 in yours just like the 520.

So the TORO Filter part# is 79-5270 or a Stens Filter is # 120265. About $12-$14 American.

Mike.........

Stigian

Many thanks Mike :scratchead:

I have found a place in the UK selling the Stens filter, at