Sign in to follow this  
pond195520032003

Pulling Engines, What Do You Use?

pond195520032003

Just wondering what you all use to pull the engines frome your tractors :D:thumbs: well here is what i use :P its a mini cherrie picker, actually a hospital patient lift :thumbs:Picture2090.jpg

• Excellent 1

Rollerman

Hi blood pressure & a strong back so far. :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Yep same as Stephen so far. I've used my full size cherry picker for a twin onan, but thtas the only one not hand lifted to date.

T-Mo

I got a cherry picker but it really won't work too well for lawn tractors, the legs won't fit between or around the front tires. So I used the manual way, plain old muscle. Stephen, Joel, could I borrow you guys to put my K321 back in the C141? :thumbs:

Mith

Engine hoist,, but as Terry said, the legs are a pain, so I'd reckon I'll use the backhoe now.

20-05-07_1157.jpg

Kelly

Good old back muscles and a break right after. So I can stand up straight. I have 2 cherry pickers but never had to use them yet. I do have a onan twin to pull I'll use the cherry picker for that.

pond195520032003

Well thats the way i used to lift them out :D the 16hp single kohlers sure are heavy :D when you go to pick up the cast iron kohler 20hp twin, the only thing that comes off the ground is your feet :D:D so my brother bought the lift at an auction for me :P its great as you can move the arm that raises it to either side, and you dont have to walk around it :thumbs: also when you want to let it down you just pull the handle in towards the cylinder and it goes down :P the legs are adjustable also! will be getting a nice coat of red paint when the weather breaks :D:thumbs: :P

CasualObserver

I've lifted before, but I've been toying with putting some kind of hoist mounted from the ceiling using a small 500 lbs chain hoist. Just don't know how much stress I can put on the rafters of the garage. :thumbs:

TR_DIGGER

I've lifted before, but I've been toying with putting some kind of hoist mounted from the ceiling using a small 500 lbs chain hoist. Just don't know how much stress I can put on the rafters of the garage. :thumbs:

I have put a 4X4 in the rafters to catch 4 rafters and lifted a V-8 with a cable comealong :thumbs:

• Like 1

pond195520032003

Yes, the more rafters you use for support the more you can lift :thumbs::thumbs: here is another picture of the lift! :DPicture2086.jpg

combatmp29r

Engine hoist,, but as Terry said, the legs are a pain, so I'd reckon I'll use the backhoe now.

Use the backhoe now :thumbs: Must be nice to have those toys :D:P

Ahhh more future projects. I'm sure I will have a few left for my kids to fininsh :thumbs:

Rollerman

I may do the rafter trick to later this year too?

Somekind of an eye bolt setup that I can pull off of with a come along or elec tric winch.

Need to do a shingle job though 1st...there's already enough strain on my rafters.

A yes Greg I did pull a 20HP Kohler out of a D once.....it's still sitting in the dent in the floor it made. :thumbs:

CasualObserver

Hrmm... I was have been thinking about it since seeing this picture on the ih board.

hoist.jpg

Only instead of taking up floor space, I'd just suspend that top rail from the ceiling using some heavy eyebolts and chain, or lag screws. Thoughts anyone?

wesley

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH like that sickle mower in ponds first post, boy would l like one of them .

wes dreaming of sickle mowers now

T-Mo

Jason,

That is a nice set up and could be fabricated easily. As long one had the materials, torch and a welder. :thumbs:

CasualObserver

Ha... :thumbs: Terry you forgot Time, space and Money too! :thumbs:

T-Mo

Well, Jason, for time we could spend less time on the Red Square, and for money, less tractors and for space, move the wife's car. :thumbs: :thumbs:

TT

For anything lighter than a big block Kohler or a cast iron Briggs, I use two of these: OK2USE.jpg:thumbs::thumbs:

If no one is around to help, the heavier ones get hooked to a cable winch or a 1 1/4 ton chain jack that I hang on a bolt through one of the upstairs floor joists in the shop.

pond195520032003
Stop.gif i cant take it anymore :thumbs: is that real or just painted on :thumbs:

TT

Believe it or not, It's real! :thumbs: :thumbs:

kpinnc

That is dedication Terry...

Still waiting on the first one around here to name thier son RJ though.... :thumbs:

Kevin

pond195520032003

Terry, that is cool :thumbs: and :thumbs: what did it cost to have put on :D

TT

Terry, that is cool :thumbs: and :thumbs: what did it cost to have put on :D

About 70 bucks and one hour of my time.

(yes, I was sober :P )

combatmp29r

OK Jason heres the carpenter side of me. The only down side to hanging a beam like that in your garage is that the 2 ceiling joists you hang it from not only have to support the weight of the motor, but also the weight of the beam. Now hanging it from 2 will spread the load and only put half the total weight on each mounting point. The best idea if you wanted to use a beam like than would be to go up in the attic/crawlspace over the garage and run a wooden beam over about 6 joists. Then run a couple long eye bolts through that beam and down through the ceiling to hang the steel beam from. Then the load would actually be hanging on 6 joists instead of 2. You'd have to put a couple 2x4 or 6 blocks horizontaly between the joists where the bolts went on the top side of your ceiling just to stabilize the bolts and keep them from swinging around and tearing up the wall board.

Ok I'm getting down off my soap box now :thumbs: Great idea though. The I Beam with a trolley would make it nice to pull stuff.

catman81056

Man I can't remember how many engines have come out with this hoist/Ibeam in the last 22 yrs. But it's never failed.DSCF0496.jpg