Sign in to follow this  
acedog

tranny

acedog

This is my first posting , so here goes. I have a 2004 GT 315-8 bought new in2005.I keep it in great condition and it has low hours (135). Latley I been having trouble shifting in and out of 2nd and 3rd gear, especial 2nd gear. The cluch has never been adjusted so there is a lot of thread to do so. Does anyone think that this might solve yhe problem?

rustbucket

you should also check your fluid level in your transmission and if needed fill or replace with fresh.

acedog

I should have stated that the fluid level is full and clean.

WHC-125

Does it grind? What is happening?

acedog

there is no grinding just feels like it's locking up especial when I try to get it out of 2nd gear and into 3rd gear. First gear and reverse are fine.

WHC-125

What about in low range?

acedog

I haven't checked it in low range?

kpinnc

I saw the other thread on this as well. While I'm not going to totally disagree with some of the responses, there are a couple that are questionable. A "clutch adjustment" in an 8 speed tractor is bugging me for this particular issue. I do know that when a belt stretches over time it may slip more, but this would be helpful in gear selection, not the likely cause of this issue.

It is true that a Unidrive is not a synchronized tranny. But, the real problem may be that the drive pulley on the tranny continues to turn after the clutch is depressed. If that is happening, the belt has somehow become too tight, preventing the normal "slip" when the clutch is depressed.

You may want to make sure the belt is routed correctly under the belt guard. If it has somehow gotten past the support that holds all the slack up when the clutch is used, it will prevent the proper slip.

The use of ATF in the tranny in place of gear oil is an interesting suggestion. While I would not do that myself, I do know that a couple of my Sundstrand hydrostatic tractors use it. It's for an entirely different use, but it works well in that particular application.

I would say for the purpose of flushing the tranny (maybe use while mowing a time or two, then drain again and refill with gear oil), it would be OK. But as a permanent change? Well, you be sure and keep us posted. I am quite curious to see how it goes. I will say I have NEVER seen a cleaner tranny on the inside than one that has been using ATF, but I wonder about the ability of ATF to keep the wear down under high loads. Gear oil is thicker for a reason.

ATF was used in the earliest WH hydro transmissions. It has much thinner viscosity, and does tend to help keep the moving parts clean. Why did a Van Halen song just start playing in my head? :thumbs2: But around the early 70s, WH decided to start running 30w oil in place of the ATF. It was not a requirement that I know of, but was authorized for use in the older trannies as well. I would imagine this was due to leaking seals, etc... I would also imagine that if your tranny has any potential "leaky" spots on it, you will find them using ATF... Just be sure and keep an eye on the fluid levels while using it.

I'm not bashing the ATF idea. At least two of my WH tractors use it, but they are both hydros.

Just my $.02...

Kevin

oldandred

If the drive belt isnt ajusted correctly or needs to be adjusted yes it will be hadr to get in and out of gear check the low speed side also if its hard to shift there well the belt has streached or needs to be replaced theres not a clutch on your tractor like a auto no were near. and with out a belt guard you bet they will be hard getting in and out

acedog

Ok, the drive belt and the drive belt pulley. These are two things I did not figure on. So I'am going to adjust the cluck tomorrow and while I'am doing this I will check the drive belt situation out , and I will post. Thank You

acedog

Ok, well after changing the tranny fluid and adjusting the cluch everything seem to be working fine. Kpinnc, I checked the drive belt pulley and it is working just like you said it should work. I want to thank everybody for the great advice and help, you guys know your stuff. One more thing, Why does 1st and 2nd gear have spring shift controls? Thanks Again:

plowmaster

if it were a drive belt wouldnt the problem be in ALL gears?