nylyon

Here is the Sean Flyer:

IM000003.jpg

IM000004.jpg

IM000005.jpg

IM000006.jpg

IM000007.jpg

IM000008.jpg

Keep in mind, he's only 6 and he did a lot of the work himself (power tools aside)

baerpath

Nice job I remember those days Way back when :thumbs:

6 Hmmm Any chance getting him to Clintons Corners (by Poughkipsie) to run a 8hp puller April 26 :thumbs:

You can come too. It's a Dafidel(sp) Festival 1st pull of the year for us

Duane

nylyon

There's pulling in Poughkeepsie? Why I didn't know that. Sean has a tough time reaching the pedals, but Brittany (8) can reach and she's a good driver to boot!

This is her on Pikachu

rer6.jpg

Sparky

Good lookin car Karl and Sean :thumbs: . Back when Brad and I were doing the pinewood derby I would put a small dab of vegatable oil in the hub of each wheel. I would lay it on its side and do the tires facing down and let em sit for 10 minutes to get it everywhere inside the hub area. Then flip it and do the other side. Had to spin the wheels by hand after, which got the oil in all of the hub. One year he was the #2 car which got him a nice trophy.

Mike........

nylyon

These rules state no liquid lubricants but dry lubricants are fine. I bought a bottle of powdered graphite and am doing just that. Laying the car on the side and pouring this in. I also tapered the axle nails to reduce the friction area against the wheel, and installed them on a slight angle to keep the wheel from touching the car. We're getting nervous, green flag waves at 1....

When I was a scout, my car came in DEAD LAST. We had spent so much time on it, I was very disappointed. Second place would be great, but I just hope that he wins a heat or two.

Rollerman

Karl best of luck to Sean & you with the derby!

Man that brings back memories.

I remember my car was aerodynamicaly challenged & did not do so hot. :thumbs:

nylyon

It was a very disorganized affair but the car performed well.

Race #1 - 1st

Race #2 - 1st

Race #3 - 2nd

Race #4 - 1st

Race #5 - 2nd

Race #6 - 1st

And still not enough for an overall 3rd place. Go figure!

Rollerman

Karl how many scout troops were there in the event?

Am I to assume the the 1st over all winner got all 1st place wins etc,etc?

The math there does not seem right. :thumbs:

Well hope you & your son had a good time anyway....congrats on haveing a consistant winner. :thumbs:

nylyon

There was 42 cars in his group. They used some "computer" program to determine who races, when and what lane. Each scout's car was to run 3 times, then a brief intermission, then a final 3 times. Ties would result in a race-off. Sean didn't mind the winning or not nearly as much as a couple of kids cars ran 10 times when his ran once. Sean just wanted to see his car go.

The winning car had modified wheels, which I didn't know we could do. The wheels were milled to be 1mm wide. I would say that Sean probably had the fastest car without wheel modifications. All I have to say is now that I know I can modify the wheels.... And next year, I am volunteering to do the computer program!

Oh well Sean has his car on his bookcase and he's proud of it and that's all that matters.

baerpath

Sounds like the rules for any motor sport, if it doesn't say it can't be done it must be legal :D <_<

Still he did real well congrates to him and you :thumbs::thumbs:

Offer still stands for both kids for the pull.

Duane

nylyon

Sean may be a little young, but I mentioned this to my wife for Brittany. Her response made me fall off my seat, she said "Well I guess she'll have to practice" :thumbs:

Just may take you up on that. B is one tough cookie and a really good driver. We'll start working on driving the 8-speed!

combatmp29r

Good for him Karl!! I'm with Stephen though the numbers don't add up :thumbs:

TT

Oh well Sean has his car on his bookcase and he's proud of it and that's all that matters.

That's the big thing, Karl. Every time he looks at it, he'll remember how much fun it was. :thumbs:

I remember building mine 30+ years ago. It didn't come close to winning anything, but it sure was cool! :P Hmmmm......Wonder if they could start an adult class? :thumbs: I'd really like to try it again. :D

Sparky

When my son was in Cub Scouts 4 dads including myself bought our own kits and had a separate race for our cars. We didnt abide by any rules...just "run what we brung". We had some heavy cars and lots of fun and even our kids had fun rootin for us.

Mike.......

PS...I lost...

nylyon

I learned a lot, first order of business I am a volunteer for next year. And second, his next car will have some heavy duty machine work done on it. Now that I know that I can modify the wheels.... Wooo Doggie...

TT

I can almost hear the Tim "The Toolman" Taylor grunt from here, Karl! :thumbs:

nylyon

Nah, that grunt was actually the beans they served at the pit stop :thumbs:

TT

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Imagine how fast a "gas" powered PWD car would go ! :D

T-Mo

Karl,

Nice car and it looks like it and your son perform very well. Good job to you both. :thumbs: