Scoob84

Wheel horse 520H anniversary edition.

Scoob84

I just bought a wheel horse 520H for $300 from a friend that was needing money. No attachments other than the mowing deck which has a couple of places rusted through that i will need to repair. Someone has spray painted it at some point and sprayed decals and all. I'm wanting to get all new decals and repaint it the way it should have been done. Was wondering what the value on one of these in good condition is before I spend a whole lot on it. Does it being a 1996 anniversary edition make it worth more?  Sure this may have come up on here before. If so sorry. Seems hard to find info on pricing and what implements are still available for this.IMG_20230513_125134952.jpg.3f58887b25c31fa0156380a888ada8fb.jpgIMG_20230513_125134952.jpg.3f58887b25c31fa0156380a888ada8fb.jpg

16850503131987628493060401052848.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs: Scoob.              

51 minutes ago, Scoob84 said:

Was wondering what the value on one of these

Well, $300 was it's latest value set by you and your friend.      Condition, meter hours,  location, salesmanship, maintenance records are all factors that determine value.     

I recently bought a poorly maintained  '89 520H for $150, spent some time making it right and resold it for $500.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, Scoob84 said:

Was wondering what the value on one of these in good condition is before I spend a whole lot on it.

:WRS:

This is a labor of love for most of us and there are very few " I Made a Small Fortune " stories out there. Keep ti, enjoy it and when you decide there is a " Must Have" out there to replace it then you can worry about price.

Scoob84
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs: Scoob.              

Well, $300 was it's latest value set by you and your friend.      Condition, meter hours,  location, salesmanship, maintenance records are all factors that determine value.     

I recently bought a poorly maintained  '89 520H for $150, spent some time making it right and resold it for $500.

Just over 900 hours. Changed all oil and filters right after I got it even though what was in it looked good. Seems to have been maintained but obviously not by a painter.

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS:

Darb1964
12 hours ago, Scoob84 said:

Just over 900 hours. Changed all oil and filters right after I got it even though what was in it looked good. Seems to have been maintained but obviously not by a painter.

In my opinion a running 520 with work left in if is worth $ 300.

Why people paint over decals is weird, I have a1067 that was done too. I used a dish sponge with the rough side and got most of it off. They painted over the hood ornament also, steel wool cleaned that up nicely.

lynnmor

To answer your question about the anniversary edition, in my opinion that adds just a little to the value.  Of course there may be a buyer out there that might be willing to pay much more.

Scoob84

After using it some I've decided it doesn't matter it's value because I won't sell it.  This thing is a good machine. I am going to freshen it up some. Already started repainting and I will buy a decal set for it once I'm done with the paint job. I've been taking pics as I go mainly to help remember how things went on it but also to show the progress. I'll get them together and post them. Still need to find some attachments for it. Seems a shame to just use it as a mower.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

davem1111

I'm surprised at the numbers being mentioned here, since I've been told that just that front swept axle is worth more than that. But I guess unless you're actually parting one out, it doesn't necessarily make the whole tractor worth more to most buyers....  :eusa-think:  That's a sweet looking machine though.  I just bought a 520-8 for more than that, and it's in much worse shape.

Scoob84
On 6/4/2023 at 1:28 PM, davem1111 said:

I'm surprised at the numbers being mentioned here, since I've been told that just that front swept axle is worth more than that. But I guess unless you're actually parting one out, it doesn't necessarily make the whole tractor worth more to most buyers....  :eusa-think:  That's a sweet looking machine though.  I just bought a 520-8 for more than that, and it's in much worse shape.

Tractor wasn't too bad other than the paint. The mowing deck I got with it is another story.

IMG_20230615_193410_01.jpg

IMG_20230615_193504_01.jpg

IMG_20230615_193504_02.jpg

• Sad 1

davem1111
6 hours ago, Scoob84 said:

Tractor wasn't too bad other than the paint. The mowing deck I got with it is another story.

Wow, bummer that deck is in such bad shape. If that's a 48" deck, if you lived closer I have a 48" shell that's in better shape I would just give you. It only needs some welding in one spot, but no spindles. Hard to tell from these pictures but the length of the blades look more like a 42". (I have a 42" deck in half-decent shape that I want to repair myself... I think... )  Your spindles might be usable but those aluminum or alloy spindle housings tend to corrode and break. Dang spindles are very expensive... :-o

The Freightliner Guy
On 6/15/2023 at 10:12 PM, Scoob84 said:

IMG_20230615_193410_01.jpg

IMG_20230615_193504_01.jpg

IMG_20230615_193504_02.jpg

this may not be the ideal way to fix it but after a couple mows grass should fill them holes right?...:confusion-shrug::handgestures-thumbupright:

peter lena

@Scoob84  just hunt for a better deck , rot has a feathering / thinning  feature as it consumes your deck . what you want is a solid deck , that you can rebuild the related spindles /  on . bearing replacement is not that bad / upgrade grease , new blades , also rebuild those mule drive bearings , with upgrade grease . makes a huge sound smoothness difference in operation . I never let my deck sit with heavy grass build up , also periodictly , clean out and oil down , prop it up to the sun with a brace to hold it in place , deck dries out , sucks in the oil , is hot to the touch , break the grunge cycle . if the previous owner had done that , the deck would still be good . pete