Dreamcatcher

Deck Mounting and Adjustment

Dreamcatcher

Hello. I have a 417A and am going to mount my mower deck for the first time and had a few  questions.

1. First picture. How is the rod/nut adjusted correctly?  

2. Second picture. the lift will go through the slotted bar that is over top of the center/drive pulley? No pin/washer or other fastener is required to fasten the lift to the deck correct?

3. The belts could probably be replaced. What is the best way to release tension on the tensioner?

DeckAdjust.jpg

DeckMount1.jpg

gwest_ca

May not be the deck you have but installation will be the same.

• Like 2

Dreamcatcher

Thank you @gwest_ca.  The docs answered my first two questions.  Any advice about the deck belt?  What is the best way to release tension on the belt?  I should probably inspect the tensioner while I'm at it.

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Dreamcatcher said:

Thank you @gwest_ca.  The docs answered my first two questions.  Any advice about the deck belt?  What is the best way to release tension on the belt?  I should probably inspect the tensioner while I'm at it.

I just roll the belt off the side of a pulley while turning it.

Dreamcatcher
41 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I just roll the belt off the side of a pulley while turning it.

How much play should their be in the tensioner?  Mine doesn't seem to move much leading me to believe that it is not funcitoning correctly?

lynnmor
2 hours ago, Dreamcatcher said:

How much play should their be in the tensioner?  Mine doesn't seem to move much leading me to believe that it is not funcitoning correctly?

There are two bolts with plastic bushings that are thru the slots in the idler support bar (tensioner).  With the belt off, the tensioner should travel the full lengths of those slots.  It is not unusual for those slots and bushings to have considerable wear, perhaps wear and debris in the slots are limiting travel.

Idler Support Bar

• Like 1

squonk

Is that a crack in your deck? It will effect how it hangs.

782814651_deckcrack.jpg.ba295eb8e9161234212d493f3d0ea5ee.jpg

Dreamcatcher
3 hours ago, lynnmor said:

There are two bolts with plastic bushings that are thru the slots in the idler support bar (tensioner).  With the belt off, the tensioner should travel the full lengths of those slots.  It is not unusual for those slots and bushings to have considerable wear, perhaps wear and debris in the slots are limiting travel.

Idler Support Bar

Thank you for the photo and advice.  I do appreciate it very much.  Using a prybar against the lift frame and the tensioner pulley I could not get it to move.  I loosened the nut until I got it to slide back and forth.  Not sure if this is the correct way to adjust it?  It doesn't seem correct because the pulley wobbles a bit; could use advice here. It looks like the tensioner assembly is attached to the deck with two bolts.  The 'center' bolt that holds the sppring looks to use two nuts.

@squonk to answer your observation/question, yes, that appears to be a 4 inch crack.  I guess I'll need to find someone who welds to fix this as part of my deck restoration project at the end of the cutting season.  I need to get this deck up and running for the season.

lynnmor

The two bolts hold the spacers, they should not be clamping the tensioner bar.  The bar should float in the plastic spacers.  There is no adjustment, using good parts and correct hardware the bar will float with a bit of play and keep the correct tension on the belt.  Apparently your machine was knackered by a previous owner.  Once you get this apart, the pulley should spin freely and smoothly, if not replace it.

Dreamcatcher
11 hours ago, lynnmor said:

The two bolts hold the spacers, they should not be clamping the tensioner bar.  The bar should float in the plastic spacers.  There is no adjustment, using good parts and correct hardware the bar will float with a bit of play and keep the correct tension on the belt.  Apparently your machine was knackered by a previous owner.  Once you get this apart, the pulley should spin freely and smoothly, if not replace it.

@lynnmorshould there be a plastic spacer above AND below the bar on each bolt allowing it to slide?  I see 1 plastic bushing on the  bolt without the spring and no bushng on the bolt with the spring.  Looks like I have to remove the spring first. The next question is where can I get the correct hardware to fix this? 

UPDATE: I found another thread where a kit is available: 2 metal washers, 2 plastic bushings, and 2 plastic washers.  The thread sited @GlenPettit as the source?

Edited by Dreamcatcher

rjg854

@GlenPettit is not a source any longer.  Wheel Horse Parts and More picked up most of what he was doing.  You could check with him, if he has them.

Dreamcatcher
45 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

@GlenPettit is not a source any longer.  Wheel Horse Parts and More picked up most of what he was doing.  You could check with him, if he has them.

OK I will call them as I don't see them on the website.  There is a mention of an additional washer.  Was the washer put on before the nut?  

I did make some progress this morning.  I was able to remove the assembly.  It was quite dirty, plastic pieces worn for sure, the pulley is sloppy, and the bar is a bit corroded

Dreamcatcher

The support bar and pulley are both toast.  I'm going to basically build a new idler assembly.  I'm also looking at new blade pulleys.  They aren't cheap on jack's and I am confused by the website because they offer multiple pulley options from Toro.  Can anyone help me with the toro part numbers for the two blade pulleys and the center blade/drive pulley?

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Dreamcatcher said:

The support bar and pulley are both toast.  I'm going to basically build a new idler assembly.  I'm also looking at new blade pulleys.  They aren't cheap on jack's and I am confused by the website because they offer multiple pulley options from Toro.  Can anyone help me with the toro part numbers for the two blade pulleys and the center blade/drive pulley?

Did you try going to the Toro website and look up the part numbers for your deck model number?

Dreamcatcher
7 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Did you try going to the Toro website and look up the part numbers for your deck model number?

I looked on jacks small engine.  I don't have the model number on my deck but found the diagram that seems to be my deck.  For each pulley it has at least two toro numbers.