DeepH2O

.005 Shim Needed

DeepH2O

Can anyone tell me where to find a .005 shim for bearing plate on Kohler M12? Thanks! 

hotajax

If it doesn't need to be round, maybe sacrifice a feeler guage.  

• Confused 1

953 nut

Your gasket set should have various thickness gaskets, if there isn't a .005 you could stack a .002 and a .003 .

• Like 4

ranger

Pepsi soft drink cans are, I think, around that thickness?

• Confused 1

Wild Bill 633
7 hours ago, DeepH2O said:

Can anyone tell me where to find a .005 shim for bearing plate on Kohler M12?

Please explain what you mean by bearing plate. If for engine, Kohler does have P/Ns for camshaft and crankshaft endplay shims. Otherwise McMaster-Carr has shim washers and shim stock.

Achto
3 hours ago, Wild Bill 633 said:

Please explain what you mean by bearing plate. If for engine, Kohler does have P/Ns for camshaft and crankshaft endplay shims. Otherwise McMaster-Carr has shim washers and shim stock.

The bearing plate shims are the same shape as the gasket for the bearing plate. Basically you space the aluminum bearing plate out to get your crank shaft end play.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Will guess that the only crankshaft shim available from Kohler is .005" as per the service manual.

https://www.partstree.com/models/m12-471527-kohler-magnum-engine-made-for-wheel-horse-12hp-9kw/crankcase-03050033394-5/

Any small engine shop should be able to supply.

• Like 2

DeepH2O

I need them to go with gasket between bearing plate and crankcase. I’ve ordered 3 shims and everyone I’ve received is .010. When I removed my bearing plate (first time it’s ever been removed) I found gasket, 2 x .010 shims, and 1 x .005 shim. Everywhere I search, it doesn’t state thickness of shim for sale. 

DeepH2O

They’re really hard to measure with being torn apart. The .005 shim was mated with the gasket. I tried measuring them together and then measuring the gasket. The shim came out to roughly .009. 

All 4 measured together = .0565

if you add all 4 individually (calling the 3rd shim .005) you come up with .0545, so I’m gonna go with it’s a .005.  

DeepH2O

And yes, the only .005 shim stock I can find is metal

DeepH2O
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Your gasket set should have various thickness gaskets, if there isn't a .005 you could stack a .002 and a .003 .

All I find is the shim sold individually. Where can I order this set?

Achto

@DeepH2O

What is your actual end play on the crank? Kohler gives a tolerance of .003" to .020" for crank shaft end play.  If you are any where in that ball park, you are good to go.

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 2

DeepH2O

Haven’t measured yet. Doing some more maintenance before putting back together. I just want to be prepared if I do need it. I may need, I may not. 

I understand completely the process of re-installing bearing plate and checking end play. I guess I should’ve stated that in first post. I’m following the Kohler manual to a T. 

• Excellent 2

Achto

With the what I consider a huge tolerance that the manual gives you. I think you should be able to fall with in specs with the .010" shims alone. I just built a K241, used all 3 of the shims that I received with my gasket kit. Ended up at .011" end play. Called it good. :thumbs2:

• Like 3

WHX??

I tried measuring the old gaskets/shims and duplicate them but never seemed to work. I start with two shims and go from there. 

32 minutes ago, Achto said:

consider a huge tolerance that the manual gives you. 

That is by today's standards. 

20190418_161240.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

From page 12A.4 of the service manual is the only reference I could find for shim thickness

M12 crankshaft shims.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut

If you don't have any bearing plate gaskets and can't find any you could buy some 1/32" (0.03125") gasket material and make your own. Felpro 3046.

• Like 1

DeepH2O
10 hours ago, Achto said:

With the what I consider a huge tolerance that the manual gives you. I think you should be able to fall with in specs with the .010" shims alone. I just built a K241, used all 3 of the shims that I received with my gasket kit. Ended up at .011" end play. Called it good. :thumbs2:

This will be the route I take! Thanks for all yalls help!!

• Like 1

DeepH2O
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

If you don't have any bearing plate gaskets and can't find any you could buy some 1/32" (0.03125") gasket material and make your own. Felpro 3046.

I have a new gasket and 3 x .010” shims

• Like 2

WHX??

I think it's better to go more to the .020 side of the tolerance. Dan's .11 is perfect. 

• Like 1

DeepH2O

Ok, fellas, need yalls help, again. I've installed the bearing plate with gasket and 2 shims. I didn't torque bolts, just snugged up with short ratchet. When I checked the gap, there was ZERO gap. Well, I figured I would install my 3rd shim. I installed plate again. Still no gap. Well, I loosened plate and then bumped the other side of shaft with a mallet and I see a good sized gap. When I make bolts up ONLY by hand, the gaps closes fully and I can't even get .0015 gauge in. 

Can anyone give some guidance?

Pics of hand tight and another loose w/ gap

IMG_4865.jpeg

IMG_4864.jpeg