mpoore

3 Point Hitch Sway Chains

mpoore

I am trying to figure out the proper use of the sway chains on the 3 pt hitch. I have a C-195 with a hydraulic 3 pt hitch that I have mounted a 2" sleeve hitch. I use it to move trailers and pull a wagon. Forward works great, but the sway in the 3 pt hitch makes backing up difficult as it will shift while in reverse. I am assuming the sway chains are original based on appearance. I understand that the chains should form an X. I see a couple of possible attachment points. The problem I see with both attachment points is that the chains would loosen or tighten as the hitch is raised or lowered. It would be preferable that the chains remain tight regardless of the hitch height. Am I missing something? Does anyone have a photo of how to attach the chains so that they remain tight while raising or lowering the 3 pt hitch?

gwest_ca

Looks like this would work

• Like 1

mpoore

Thanks for the link. The rear attachment point in the diagram (part # 34) on page 5 is missing on my hitch. I was looking at attaching the chains at other locations not part of the lower arms, which is why I was worried about them loosening or tightening depending on hitch height. Looks like I need to make two parts to get it working correctly. I am guessing those parts are about 1/4" thick bent 45 degrees. Does that sound about right to anyone that has one?

WHX??

Best pics I have.

20200629_100334.jpg

20200622_165114.jpg

20200606_122912.jpg

Pullstart

Do you only use the 3 point for the 2” hitch?  A 3 point tiller has a bracket to lock the arms together and prevent all sway.

mpoore
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Best pics I have.

20200629_100334.jpg

20200622_165114.jpg

20200606_122912.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Looks like easy to make parts. I think your brackets are in the wrong place if I am reading the diagram mentioned in the previous post correctly.

mpoore
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

Do you only use the 3 point for the 2” hitch?  A 3 point tiller has a bracket to lock the arms together and prevent all sway.

Yes, but I did recently get a grader blade that I will be using soon.

ranger

I would imagine that the mountings for the chassis/axle end of the chains needs to be as close to the pivot point axis of the lower arms to ensure that the distance between the arm and the chassis mountings for the chains doesn’t alter as the linkage raises and lowers. Which it would do if the chain chassis end mount is in a different position?

mpoore
2 hours ago, ranger said:

I would imagine that the mountings for the chassis/axle end of the chains needs to be as close to the pivot point axis of the lower arms to ensure that the distance between the arm and the chassis mountings for the chains doesn’t alter as the linkage raises and lowers. Which it would do if the chain chassis end mount is in a different position?

That is what the diagram in the above document shows. I am missing #34.

image.png.e6102bc506eb16f568b5767ebbfe01c5.png

mpoore

Here is my attempt to make it look like the diagram. It attaches on the same pin as the lower arms hinge, so I think it will work fine without loosening. Thanks for everyone's help.

image.png.dd08de7e66ce7d35ddb47eb87b01beef.png

image.png.a9f47b0fc82d1e2b17a49cf1cf4db99a.png

image.png.9e418a7c6d542cc37b92e6292ea02046.png