Sign in to follow this  
diggerman

Questions about ground engaging with a Horse

diggerman

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I recently acquired a 1979 B-81 6-speed that I am using to mow. Now I have an overwhelming interest in getting something to use in my garden. I see 10 and 12 hp 300 series Wheel Horses available within a hundred or so miles of Pleasant Garden, NC (Gbo area), but wonder at their capabilities to ground engage.

I may want to turn and disk or I may just pull a tiller, but I'd like enough power to do either. I'd also like a tractor that easily accepts a sleeve hitch.

I will greatly appreciate comments from those who are already doing these things as to what models I should be considering. I don't have deep pockets and I am not a mechanic or welder .

Thanks.

Wayne Clodfelter

Pleasant Garden, NC

diggerman47@gmail.com

KyBlue

I believe they did make a tiller for the Vert. Engine models, but you dont run across them too often.

Might be better off to try and grab you one of the horizontal engine models, since accy's from the mid 70s till the end of the production run will work on em.

And I run a tiller with my 8hp... does a good job..

whfan74

Well I have a 312-8 and tried my hand at plowing without a coulter wheel this past spring. I think a 12 horsepower will do fine in ground that has already been plowed under but it worked the tractor pretty hard on new soil. Maybe I was doing something wrong but it wore out the drive belt. As far as a tiller I think a 12 hp would be good, I haven't tried it yet but that is the plan for next spring.

In my opinion I would try and grab a 14 or better yet a 16 hp Kohler to do my chores. Again budget and availabilty come in to play.

Good luck on your horse hunt!

nylyon

For using ground engaging equipment, a tractor with an 8 pinion differential would be my first choice. I'm sure that the 4 pinion's would be fine, but the 8 pinion are just a little stronger. That said, a 400 / 500 series would have the power and pinions for the task. A 416 would be a perfect choice, but usually command a higher price.

sawhorse

I have a 310-8 with the sleeve hitch and the brinly "team" of implements. The horse

will struggle to turn soil that has not been previously worked. Once the garden area

has been established, I have found that this equipment does a fine job. For larger areas,

the plow, discs, and cultivators are faster than the tiller. The tiller does a better job

chopping up the weeds and soil into a fine condition but is slower. Perfect soil is not always necessary for a garden. You really only need deeply worked narrow rows bordered by weed free strips. The single tine or subsoiler will establish a deeply worked row. In my avatar is a picture of my home-made subsoiler. It is a single box-blade

tine connected to a home made brinly type hitch. I added some weightlifting equipment

to the back of it for downpressure. Mine fits a good stack of plates.

I had my neighbor come over with her ford 8n to break sod in my new plot. Breaking new ground with a wheel horse is possible, but will test the limits of your equipment.

diggerman

I am enjoying the remarks this topic has gathered. Hopefully, it will keep on giving. Thanks to all who have or will respond.