Sign in to follow this  
Frankenstein 58

Rj 58 5003 transmission

Frankenstein 58

This one was my very first wheel horse. Bought it at the big show almost 2 decades ago :o and is the last one to get running. Question is. Is this fixable without leakage. Plus there is a broken bolt on the other side that is fixable. Thanks again 

IMG_3377.jpeg

• Sad 1

stevasaurus

Do you have the piece that is broken out.  It is fixable if you have the piece or not...you can weld that old cast iron.  I had a piece like that that I had welded and fixed.  You do have to be careful with how much you weld because the fit of the gears is so tight.

• Like 2

Frankenstein 58

Someone else was inside this transmission before me. So no broken piece. They just turned the bolt around and put a nut on the outside to seal the hole. I’ll talk to a welder and see what they can come up with. I guess this is why I was procrastinating on this one. :lol:  I’ll start on the kohler while I figure this out. Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

That is the input shaft side, and the Hooby-Dooby that is broken is where the big part of the Mushroom gear goes.  That is a very tight spot.  It is still fixable.  I would recommend finding a good old welder...maybe one that will still fix radiators.:eusa-think:   If he clamps a piece of copper just below the rim edge, the weld will not stick there and he can build (fill in) the missing part.  Then it is a matter of grinding, drilling and tapping.  Not a big deal, but you need the right guy.  :occasion-xmas:

Edited by stevasaurus

Frankenstein 58

More issues on the transmission. Looks like the cluster gear is missing a few teeth also a few missing on the big outboard gear. 

stevasaurus

Put an ad in the classifieds, some one just may have spare gears.  Also, try our vendors like A to Z (Lincoln).  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1