Jedaco

New Member just acquired 314-A

wallfish

:WRS:

You found a good one at the best price possible.

The carb clean should solve the running on choke only. 

• Like 2

WHX??

:WRS:  :text-yeahthat:a carb cleaning should do the trick. 

1 hour ago, Jedaco said:

but from what I've read on the web

Forget whatever you read on the web and stick with the folks here. 

Give us a pic of the tag under the seat and we'll tell you the year and much more. 

Looks to be a nice one and reminds me of a score once. 

1 hour ago, Jedaco said:

An older woman just wanted it gone 

In my case too she wanted it gone... she was afraid no one would be able to fix it. Came to the right home at my stables. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Wheel-N-It

If you don't know much about wheel horses, you will soon discover what an awesome machine you have. The K321 is almost as smooth as its 12 horsepower little brother, and almost as powerful as its 16 horsepower big brother. Its a good combination for mowing with that 48 inch mowing deck. Give the deck spindles a couple shots of grease each time before mowing, and keep the deck clean underneath. The deck and attachmatic is much newer that the tractor. Another plus of the wheel horse. Parts and attachments are easily interchangeable over the span of multiple years. 

How many hours are showing on the meter?

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Free is good! :clap:

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Free is good! :clap:

:text-yeahthat:

953 nut

image.jpeg.aaca57f2cdd617b45222db8cd7f5cee4.jpeg

Your 314-A comes with an Eaton 700 hydrostatic transmission which is great for mowing and general use but nor intended to do heavy work like plowing a field or rototilling. It is best to use gas that doesn't have ethanol in your :wh: or other small engines. This website will help you locate real gas, https://www.pure-gas.org/

Enjoy your new Wheel Horse, it should be fun. If you have questions please feel free to ask, we are here to help.

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: and nice score!  Sorry we aren’t very helpful around these parts :lol:  If you stumble or find a bump in the road, odds are we have too and it seems this is the best website on earth for all things Wheel Horse and many other things too!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jedaco

Thanks for the warm welcome!  The battery did not take a charge so I'll get a new one later today.  Pushing this beast around isn't easy.  Is it correct that the transmission needs to be pushed all the way into "forward" to get it to roll.  This is the only way it will disengage.

The wheels seem to be holding air so that's good.  The carb is cleaned and reinstalled.  There's 898 hours on the meter.  It's missing a couple of knobs - throttle and parking brake.

Is a C-17 battery appropriate?  That's what was in it.  Thanks all!  Great forum!

Jeff

IMG-3430.jpg

IMG-3431.jpg

IMG-3432.jpg

IMG-3433.jpg

• Like 2

rjg854

:WRS: the great fellows have you pretty well covered.  Enjoy the site, lots of good information and knowledge. There's no question you can ask that won't have an answer.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

A replacement battery with 300CCA  will work.

ID decals

Tractor 1985 314-A Serial SS.jpg

Mower Rotary 48in SD Serial SS.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

You scored a great machine at a price that was just right.  Lots of envious folks around here!!!

• Like 1

Sailman
1 hour ago, Jedaco said:

Thanks for the warm welcome!  The battery did not take a charge so I'll get a new one later today.  Pushing this beast around isn't easy.  Is it correct that the transmission needs to be pushed all the way into "forward" to get it to roll.  This is the only way it will disengage.

:text-welcomeconfetti: Just an FYI on "moving' the tractor. The Hydro's (Autos) need to have a valve on the transmissions adjusted (opened) when moving them under man power. I am not sure on your model but I am sure one of the "guru's" here will have that correct information.

Great score by the way!!!

Edited by Sailman
  • Like 1

Bill D

Welcome!  Great score at an even better price!  As others have stated, the Eaton 700 in your tractor is not suitable for use with ground engaging implements, but one of the fun parts about owing a wheel horse is the ability to modify them.  Depending on your plans for the tractor, consider swapping in an Eaton 1100.  Much stronger transmission that provides you the opportunity to install a hydraulic lift as well.  I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

peter lena

@Jedaco nice pick up , suggestions , while you are wondering what to start  on , get some marvel mystery oil on that paint finish , deck include , clean rag , let sit / soak couple of days , then wipe off clean / dry . you just saved that paint !  would also drop carb bowl , clean out debris , replace all fuel line , clear vinyl fuel rated , does not break down like black rubber , add a couple of fuel filters . you also want to give that a thorough chassis lube , might want to add a ground cable from the battery ground bolt to an engine bolt to chassis spot  , that will enhance rectifier  battery charging , test for function , with a small alligator clip wire , battery ground to rectifier bolt point , also check fuses for corrosion / crud .  lots of things to look at , others  have / will chime in . let us know , pete     

• Like 2

Jedaco

Great advice from everyone.  Thanks.  So far I've done oil change, carb clean and adjustment, grease, new battery and general overall clean up.  I took off that monster deck.  It's like new.  I'll keep it but I need to get a smaller deck.  I don't have a huge yard and there are some tight areas around a pool and the 48" deck barely fits through my fence.  I plan on moving to a larger property in the near future so the 48 will come in handy.  Engine starts, idles and runs strong.  Valves are noisy so I'll check them.  What are the clearances?

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Jedaco said:

Will these decks fit my 314A?

Thanks!!

Neither of those will fit a 300 series. 

Those are both 2xx series decks which are for lawn mower.

Your tractor is a true Garden Tractor. 

• Like 1

peter lena

@Jedaco  glad to see you are on it , for your tight cutting areas , would recommend  a REAR DISCHARGE DECK  , lets you get very close / in tight areas , that is available in both  a 36" and a 42" size ,your small area might do very well with the 36". key to deck life is maintenance and getting the under side clean , propped up the the sun  and an oil spray down , that gets hot and soaks into the metal . lightly sharpen blades , fine file , red grease in your related bearings will help life and cut down on noise . also do that oil soaking before you put it away over winter , kills off the grunge and stops rust . just some ideas , pete

• Like 2

peter lena

@ebinmaine  was just talkin with my son , has his 312-8 just going on 25 years , no rot / rust , always garage kept , always used MOBIL 1 , lubricants from day 1 , never an issue , he agrees that people are brain dead , and do not have a clue . thanked me for getting him under a car , and waking up to what's there . thats the interest you want to inspire , his son is doing a mile timed swim today  at navel ocean survival  training ,  told him it was his inspiration and initial road runs and swim time that  made marine training easier , proud dad  

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut

This interchange manual will tell you what attachments will fit your tractor without modification.