brians306

front axles

brians306

Working on a puller build c160. wanting to lower the front is there a front axle from another model that will lower the front?  I would like to use all WH parts. pictures later

• Like 1

Pullstart

Like we discussed In this thread mainly 8” spindles and 6” wheels are used.  @jeremi3210 @TonyToro @TonyToro Jr. @fast88pu any other stocker items that could be used to lower the front?

• Like 2

8ntruck

Flip the axle upside down?

daveoman1966

I have 1 or 2 really old axles...  from maybe an L-156 tractor or something like that.  They are straight across and some narrower than the coventional C series axle.  I'll get some pics later....  

• Like 2

jeremi3210
6 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

I have 1 or 2 really old axles...  from maybe an L-156 tractor or something like that.  They are straight across and some narrower than the coventional C series axle.  I'll get some pics later....  

Was thinking about that also I seem to remember having one of them in my parts attic. I know that it is narrower but wasn't sure about the height. 

• Like 1

Pullstart
7 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

57 minutes ago, jeremi3210 said:

Was thinking about that also I seem to remember having one of them in my parts attic. I know that it is narrower but wasn't sure about the height. 

Do those have the pre-‘63 1/2” (or is it 5/8”?) pivot bolt or a new style 3/4” pin?

• Like 1

brians306
12 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

I would like to see that as well.

jeremi3210
4 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Do those have the pre-‘63 1/2” (or is it 5/8”?) pivot bolt or a new style 3/4” pin?

Not sure I'd have to dig it out and look. 

Handy Don
18 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Like we discussed In this thread mainly 8” spindles and 6” wheels are used.  @jeremi3210 @TonyToro @TonyToro Jr. @fast88pu any other stocker items that could be used to lower the front?

Could always go down to 4” rims for the front wheels, since you won’t need much turning (you hope).

TonyToro Jr.
18 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Flip the axle upside down?

:text-yeahthat: that’s what we do on the pulling tractors

• Like 2

TonyToro

@brians306Yes you can flip upside down and use stock spindles. Many clubs don’t allow spindle flipping because of the possibility of breaking the spindle. You can also flip and use gokart front spindles off eBay, etc. That will bring it down even more. Check the rules of your club to figure out minimum rim size. Many say 6” is smallest. This one also check your rules.  If you want an awesome front axle that’s a WheelHorse part….look for a Suburban axle. It will drop the front end even more than flipping and has a really cool look. I have a couple here that still need to get on two of our tractors. I’ll get a picture in the morning. 
Have you posted up a picture of your puller? We like pictures.

brians306
7 minutes ago, TonyToro said:

@brians306Yes you can flip upside down and use stock spindles. Many clubs don’t allow spindle flipping because of the possibility of breaking the spindle. You can also flip and use gokart front spindles off eBay, etc. That will bring it down even more. Check the rules of your club to figure out minimum rim size. Many say 6” is smallest. This one also check your rules.  If you want an awesome front axle that’s a WheelHorse part….look for a Suburban axle. It will drop the front end even more than flipping and has a really cool look. I have a couple here that still need to get on two of our tractors. I’ll get a picture in the morning. 
Have you posted up a picture of your puller? We like pictures.

I will when I get the trans back in and rolling. its not gonna be pretty. just a old c160 with an m18, still in its infancy.

• Excellent 1

TonyToro
30 minutes ago, brians306 said:

I will when I get the trans back in and rolling. its not gonna be pretty. just a old c160 with an m18, still in its infancy.

Most of ours aren’t pretty either. @TonyToro Jr. likes the patina of the old paint. This is his newest puller. 

Ed Kennell

102_0185.JPG.cf9363e0ced4667955ac091feff2286a.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

brians306
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

102_0185.JPG.cf9363e0ced4667955ac091feff2286a.JPG

Is the frame flipped upside down?

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, brians306 said:

Is the frame flipped upside down?

There are actually two frames there.    The top frame is up side down with the center cut out where the engine and clutch system is mounted.

The bottom frame is right side up and  and welded under the front and back sections of the top frame.

This allowed me to put the axle on top of the frame and to lower the engine to the bottom RSU frame.IMG_6733.JPG.2583acfde5b64185791bf01e42b4213b.JPG

• Like 1

cruisnblue48

My C-120 puller... stock WH axle,,, spindles not so much... but I like this "look".

WP_001192.jpg.3bfa8d318a65580bc73674a1a5de77fd.jpg

Scan0002.jpg.4707f970b43531e1ac01aafd8f190a0b.jpg

0D2D0216-2C48-4313-BE98-BF29CBFC6108.jpg.3184c2715e5e5c2b7ee5d9945e6e5d32.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Wild Bill 633

032923 WH FV.jpg

• Excellent 3

TonyToro
49 minutes ago, Wild Bill 633 said:

032923 WH FV.jpg

Sweet!! That’s a nice custom front end!