bc.gold

Used Ariens Zero Turn

bc.gold

A couple of weeks ago I had purchased this Ariens Zero turn mower for $100.00 previous owner told me it uses more oil than gas. Doing some research I discover the head gasket is prone to failure, have not yet removed the cylinder head but have confidence in that this will be the issue.'

Briggs and Stratton have since upgraded the design by adding  web into the void where the push rods reside, my engine is first generation. New valve grind gasket set ordered.

So far I have invested the purchase price, two new front tires and the gasket set for a total less than $200.00 Canadian.

Installing the small front tires was a snap, held the rim in my vice then by pressing down and rotating the tire it slipped onto the rim without any great effort for the next one might soap the tire bead.

Tire shop wanted $40.00 a tire to install.

it's easy to see where  and why the head gasket fails.

spacer.png

Edited by bc.gold
  • Like 2

bc.gold

This afternoon bought another mower with a Kohler V-twin, owner said the deck was throwing the belt, also another mower with an 18 HP Briggs boxer engine but that one is waiting for acceptance on my offer.

I love the Briggs Boxer engines they're dependable and have a unique sound to them.

For comparison below the Kohler head gasket.

spacer.png

Edited by bc.gold
  • Like 1

ri702bill
13 minutes ago, bc.gold said:

Installing the small front tires was a snap, held the rim in my vice then by pressing down and rotating the tire it slipped onto the rim without any great effort for the next one might soap the tire bead.

Small tires can be a PIA to change. I use dishwashing liquid soap on the bead, and a good dose of talcum powder inside for the tube...

Definetly retorque the head several times after start up....

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, bc.gold said:

Briggs Boxer engines they're dependable and have a unique sound to them.

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Small tires can be a PIA to change. I use dishwashing liquid soap on the bead, and a good dose of talcum powder inside for the tube...

Bill

I have a peanut butter jar with a mix of dish soap and water. 

I keep a paintbrush. 

What's the logic in the talc?

Also, how do you fluff it in there?

ri702bill

I keep a shaker top of J&J Baby Powder just to install tubes - lightly coat the inside of the tire with one bead on the rim - install the tube. Then the other bead - when you air it up, it allows the tube to wiggle into position without folds - no issues. :thumbs2:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Agreed. 

I have a peanut butter jar with a mix of dish soap and water. 

I keep a paintbrush. 

What's the logic in the talc?

Also, how do you fluff it in there?

Talc was used installing bicycle tube, often new tubes came powdered when sold so not many realized its purpose was to keep the tube from sticking to itself while being inflated onside the tire.

Anyone here skid a bicycle tire so hard as to wear a hole in it then install a boot made from another old tire. :)

ri702bill

Maybe when I was....10 !!

tunahead72
9 hours ago, bc.gold said:

... also another mower with an 18 HP Briggs boxer engine but that one is waiting for acceptance on my offer.

I love the Briggs Boxer engines they're dependable and have a unique sound to them...

Interesting...  I'm not familiar with these engines on mowers, do they maybe sound like an old VW or Subaru, or maybe a BMW motorcycle with the boxer engine?

bc.gold

Soaping the second tire actually made the install more difficult as the tire would not bite into the rim while rotating.

Wait for it a new tool coming up to assist with inflating a tire that has not fully seated. If it works as planned will post pictures.

Edited by bc.gold

lynnmor
13 hours ago, bc.gold said:

A couple of weeks ago I had purchased this Ariens Zero turn mower for $100.00 previous owner told me it uses more oil than gas. Doing some research I discover the head gasket is prone to failure, have not yet removed the cylinder head but have confidence in that this will be the issue.'

Briggs and Stratton have since upgraded the design by adding  web into the void where the push rods reside, my engine is first generation. New valve grind gasket set ordered.

So far I have invested the purchase price, two new front tires and the gasket set for a total less than $200.00 Canadian.

Tire shop wanted $40.00 a tire to install.

it's easy to see where  and why the head gasket fails.

spacer.png

I blew one of those head gaskets on a Briggs & Scrap iron, easy fix.  It makes you wonder what they were thinking.  Be sure to check the flatness of both the head and block, they can be way out.

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

I blew one of those head gaskets on a Briggs & Scrap iron, easy fix.  It makes you wonder what they were thinking.  Be sure to check the flatness of both the head and block, they can be way out.

It's a disusing peace of engineering designed to fail, if my offer on the Briggs boxer engine is accepted that engine goes into the Zero.

Pat and I now have different postal codes she lives on the small acreage and has let most of the property go back to nature and mows a bit around the house as a fire break. I"m putting one of the mowers into an operable condition for her twice a year grass cutting.

When I have the others home will give you guys a list of brands and models, this will be helpful in choosing the best mower for her.

bc.gold

The Kohler 17 Hp twin will replace the Intek currently residing in the Zero.

I'm pulling the engines while the mowers remain on the trailer then Peter the Pastor who also has hardware disease owns the carcasses.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

bc.gold

Appears Briggs has been orphaned by the manufacture, been waiting almost a month on that head gasket.

Later today I'll check on parts availability for Kohler, if the 17 hp is more commonly used then I'll swap it in a scrap the Briggs.

spacer.png

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, bc.gold said:

Appears Briggs has been orphaned by the manufacture

That may or may not be the fault of the manufacturer.

My favorite place to go get small engine parts has extremely limited access to some things and amazing prices on others. It's all about the DISTRIBUTORS that he uses.

Situations like yours is one of the reasons why I've gone over more and more and more to online ordering.

• Thanks 1

bc.gold

Replacing the head gasket solved the oil consumption issue.

• Like 2