Pete D

New '73 16 HP owner

953 nut
10 hours ago, Pete D said:

Still searching files, I'm geeking out so I can prep for repairs.

2023-04-07 19_50_48-Save As.png

The Wix 51410 is the correct filter for your hydro.

• Like 5

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, WHX?? said:

run the chump onions

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

That's just funny right there.  

11 hours ago, Pete D said:

loathe Champion plugs, preferring NGK. 

Pete, I wasn't even remotely a Champion tolerator until the last 5 or 6 years. 

I tried them at the recommendation of the fine folks here on Redsquare.  

They run great in these little single cylinder Kohler engines. 

IMHO, NGK Bosch Motorcraft AC-Delco Autolite are all great as long the right plug is chosen.  

• Like 1

Pullstart

@Pete D I wanted to point out that when you tag someone, start with the “@“ sign and a first letter or so and wait until the drop down menu begins.

It will refine your options as you type.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

010BC159-BEC8-4524-97DB-31E0EE3A63DD.jpeg

• Like 1

WHX??
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

, NGK Bosch Motorcraft AC-Delco Autolite are all great as long the right plug is chosen. 

True ... and pull & check the plug to see how things are burning. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pete D
1 minute ago, Pullstart said:

@Pete D I wanted to point out that when you tag someone, start with the “@“ sign and a first letter or so and wait until the drop down menu begins.

It will refine your options as you type.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

010BC159-BEC8-4524-97DB-31E0EE3A63DD.jpeg

@Pullstart - Gotcha!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
11 hours ago, Pete D said:

I admin a motorcycle forum

What is your preferred scoot?  I began (legally) riding my ‘05 Shadow Spirit 750.  I loved the style, feel and the sound of the chain drive.  The vibrations in my hands and arms lead me to park it in favor of my ‘05 HD Electraglide Ultra Classic.  Ugliest bike on the road, but may be the comfiest!  

• Like 2

Pete D
1 minute ago, Pullstart said:

What is your preferred scoot?  I began (legally) riding my ‘05 Shadow Spirit 750.  I loved the style, feel and the sound of the chain drive.  The vibrations in my hands and arms lead me to park it in favor of my ‘05 HD Electraglide Ultra Classic.  Ugliest bike on the road, but may be the comfiest!  

Right now I ride a Suzuki M109R, and Yamaha FJR1300, and after I clean and sync the carbs, a first gen Yamaha VMax.  My wife has a Suzuki Burgman 400a.

I *think* my "favorite" is the FJR1300, but the M109 is nice for cruising.

Here's the M109:

M109.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Sparky

Plenty of two wheel riders in here as well. My current is a VStrom 650. I usually ride with my dad, he is 80 and rides a Bergman 650.

EA4EFCB1-3EDF-4558-B562-5A2BABA39DEA.jpeg

C5FFFA76-F2A4-4CC1-AC8A-5F9BFC6DA4BB.jpeg

BEA38066-89EC-446B-95DD-7B7706A54E2A.jpeg

85CF073F-1FA7-4DE0-918F-E035E9772D8B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

squonk

I haven't ridden since 2014 when I had knee and ticker issues. but my ride was an 83 Honda Goldwing 1100 Aspencade. We used to go down to Pa and hit the Wellsboro diner for a piece of pie and coffee then cruise Rt. 6 and Stop at Larry's Harley Davidson. The sales people would come running out and want to know who had the GW so they could try to sell him a bike. I used to laugh at them until they ran back into there cubbie holes! :hilarious:

I don't have any pics anymore but it was identical to this one. 

1983 Honda GL1100L Goldwing Aspencade Motorcycle, VIN # 1hfsc0225da313078 |  Cars & Vehicles Motorcycles | Online Auctions | Proxibid

• Like 4

wallfish

Since we flew off topic here's the tractor parts scooter :ph34r: (shameless plug to post another pic)

DB2283DD-59AF-43BB-B990-F045BDE9D96F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

Pete D
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I haven't ridden since 2014 when I had knee and ticker issues. but my ride was an 83 Honda Goldwing 1100 Aspencade. We used to go down to Pa and hit the Wellsboro diner for a piece of pie and coffee then cruise Rt. 6 and Stop at Larry's Harley Davidson. The sales people would come running out and want to know who had the GW so they could try to sell him a bike. I used to laugh at them until they ran back into there cubbie holes! :hilarious:

I don't have any pics anymore but it was identical to this one. 

1983 Honda GL1100L Goldwing Aspencade Motorcycle, VIN # 1hfsc0225da313078 |  Cars & Vehicles Motorcycles | Online Auctions | Proxibid

I *JUST* sold my '83 Aspencade - same  2 tone gray as well.

Aspencade.jpg

Edited by Pete D
  • Excellent 1

Pete D

I lightly power washed the tractor and began eval & repairs today. 

Inoperative choke is, as expected, a cable.  I tried to find one today with no luck.  (Even a universal will work.)

Monday I'll go to my local Toro dealer and see if they can find something close, or I'll buy a universal cable.

There are bolts and screws missing EVERYWHERE.

The headlight plastic lens is broken and part of it is missing. 

It doesn't look like the trans filter has been changed in years, but the fluid looks new.  Oil looks new.

I replaced the battery with a U1, (and read the thread about a something NF or a BCI21 being the correct sized battery for the large tray.) I'll wedge it with some wood and live with it.

Replaced most of the fuel line and filter, but I can't get the hose clamps off the hose under the dash. Maybe tomorrow.

Pulled out the fuel filter marked "Russian Federation" and replaced it with a Stens I had for my Cub Cadet

I added ethanol free gas with Techron fuel system cleaner to make sure the carb is clean.  I guess I should at least drop the carb bowl to inspect & clean it; I see no need to clean or rebuild the carb.

Needs a paper air filter element; can someone help me with a part# for a compatable filter so I can order one online?  Thanks in advance.

I need to grease everything & change the fluids and the (wix) filter.

Ordered a new sparkplug.  Need to replace the ignition wire, got zapped when my hand was close.

I want to clean all the hydraulic pistons and ensure the surrounding areas are clean so I can watch for leaks.  I'm not about to power wash anywhere near the seals.

There was a little hydraulic fluid near the controls, I cleaned that area so I can watch for the leak.

Still need to diagnose a locked up (off) parking brake and adjust the brake.

The hydro jumps if I don't ease slowly into forward or reverse.  I presume that's another adjustment.  More to read.

Previous owner mounted some LED driving lights and I want to clean up that installation.

LF tire leaks and needs a tube.

The underside is still very greasy, I have to figure out how I want to clean that up.

It will be a working machine, so I don't need everything perfect, just functional, adjusted, and assembled properly.

Edited by Pete D
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

You should be able to rebuild that choke cable. For sure if the cable is pinched in a notched clamp at the lever. 

You will need these tho. 

Sheath and inner wire. A Z bend pliers might be handy too.

20230331_142031.jpg

20230331_142027.jpg

20230327_083230.jpg

• Like 2

Pete D

The sheath is completely rubbed through to the inner wire creating 2 pieces of sheath.  It's done.

WHX??

Yep the stuff I listed above comes in big rolls, enough to do 30 tractors and if it were mine I would offer to send you some. Maybe if @Achto ain't lookin.:lol: Sheath has a inner core of nylon and slicker than cat crap on linoleum. Best operating choke or throttle I have seen. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Pete D

Sounds like good stuff, far better than what I'll likely end up with.

I've never heard of z bend pliers - small engine specialty I'll bet. I'll Google theM.

EDIT:

More than I want to spend for the few times I'll use them.  A couple of needle nose pliers work for me.

Something like this should work for a replacement choke cable, or maybe I will rob one from one of the mowers I am going to flip.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28491945927

Edited by Pete D
  • Like 1

Daddy Don

Welcome  great find 

• Like 2

WHX??
1 hour ago, Pete D said:

I've never heard of z bend pliers - small engine specialty I'll bet. I'll Google theM.

EDIT:

More than I want to spend for the few times I'll use them.  A couple of needle nose pliers work for

I know... one of those shop tools that sit ther forever... until you need it. Kinda like HP on a tractor...it's not too big until you need it... just sayin... :)

• Like 5

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

Great :wh: you found there. You are definitely in the right place. 

• Like 2

Pete D
2 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I know... one of those shop tools that sit ther forever... until you need it. Kinda like HP on a tractor...it's not too big until you need it... just sayin... :)

I hear you.  When I stopped turning wrench for a living, I cut way back on hand tool purchases.  More money for motorcycles! 😀

• Like 2

Achto

Pete D

Bookmarked, thank you

• Like 2

Pete D
On 4/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, WHX?? said:

Yep the stuff I listed above comes in big rolls, enough to do 30 tractors and if it were mine I would offer to send you some. Maybe if @Achto ain't lookin.:lol: Sheath has a inner core of nylon and slicker than cat crap on linoleum. Best operating choke or throttle I have seen. 

Btw, thank you for even considering sharing some of that sheathing with me.  I ended up using a $20 universal choke cable.  It is functional.  Not great, but functional.

I don't want to create animosity between you and @Achto

Thanks again for offering it to a newb!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Pete D said:

create animosity

For the record Pete. 

I've never met either @WHX?? Jim or @Achto Dan... But I believe according to the stories I've been told by @Pullstart and some couple few others... Dan couldn't create the animosity.  

Jim now .. I izznt so sure.  

:ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Achto
36 minutes ago, Pete D said:

I don't want to create animosity between you and @Achto

Any animosity between @WHX?? & I is always in good fun. :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3