BrianKoch

Muffler Change ‘69 Charger 12

BrianKoch

Gentlemen,

I just changed the muffler on my ‘69 Charger 12.

There are quite a few Gravely 18543 aftermarket mufflers out there so I decided to purchase 2; 1 from Amazon for $45 and 1 from NAPA (7-03679) for $72. Both are made in Taiwan and while the Amazon muffler actually felt a tad heavier to me, its welded construction was poorer so I decided to use the NAPA muffler.

To complete the installation, I needed a 1.25” x 4” black pipe nipple and a 5/16” x 1-1/4” exhaust clamp (NAPA 733-5323).

In conclusion, it seems to me the sound out of the Gravely style muffler is noticeably quieter than the classic pepper pot. Worth the $80 to me! 

Link to my YouTube video:

E35A6C4E-3B06-48CD-937C-8967754BCB20.jpeg

63B5C28E-89A5-41AF-92AE-4F66F482C7F9.jpeg

9B2B919D-4A0F-4FCA-8CDB-3572DF0596C3.jpeg

Edited by BrianKoch
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Blasterdad

Much better, personally I cant stand the sound of shower heads, I've got about 5 of them in my scrap bin. Nice job. :thumbs:

• Like 1

RED-Z06

There's no worse sound than the pepper pot mufflers, its like the air is forced through the holes and it makes this harsh crack like a whip.  Add a 45⁰ elbow to that to push it out front and the sound will be even less harsh.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

That's the same muffler I run on the '75 C160 Automatic.  Quieter than a pepper pot and a lower tone too. 

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ri702bill
14 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

There's no worse sound than the pepper pot mufflers

Oh yes there is... the sound of an ex-wife when the check is late.... THAT makes Fran Drescher sound like an absolute angel..!!  :angry-screaming::angry-screaming:

kpinnc

I have a similar muffler on my 867. They definitely are a bit quieter.

• Like 1