Larry Fostano

44' snowblower

Larry Fostano

So, I have a Wheelhorse 520xi withe a 44' snowblower mounted to the front, I noticed that when i use it that I keep dragging the skies on the one side(right). 

Looking at it thinking the skis were not properly adjusted I put a shim under the blower housing and then set the height of the skies. Still dragging the right side, I just use the skies to help me set the height of the blower then I just bump up the blower so that it should glide more than ride on the skies. So today I decided to look a little closer at this attachment and found that it is off by 1 inch from side to side. If I lower the blower on to the garage floor it sits level, my assumption is that when I lift it with the hydraulics. is that it is out of adjustment. I don't have any paperwork on this machine as I purchased it used. Can someone here instruct me how to adjust this or point me to a manual that explains the process? Thanks

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to Red Square.

The model year is determined by the first two numbers of the serial number reversed.

Post what you have and will dig out the manuals.

• Like 1

Red-Bovine

If it is the same as my 520H, the lift arm is on the left side and there should be an assisting lift spring on the right side up near the front of the tractor. These big blowers will lift up crooked if that spring is gone. It attaches to the thing that you replace the belt adjuster for mowing with. It has an over-center handle you push down to tension the spring.

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS:

My 44 deuce does the same thing. It's due the the lift spring and mine is set up correctly. 

These are just heavy beasts but do get those manuals to make sure it's set up right. All the manuals are right here but best we have model numbers. 

What is your reasoning on bumping it up? Why not just let it ride on the skids? 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

Red-Bovine

I agree. That's what the skids are for. Sets the lower limit so the housing doesn't dig in. The blower does hang a little lower on the right side because the lifting is on the left and the spring is just an assist.

Edited by Red-Bovine
  • Like 2

Larry Fostano

WHX , the reason for bumping up the blower is that my driveway is all gravel (millings) when in the warm months the milling will pack down pretty well. I had them rolled when the driveway was done. During the winter, the right skid seems to drag and tear up the gravel therfore throwing snow and gravel into my yard, Its not going to be fun raking this all out. What I am going to try next snowfall is to just remove the skids and hold the blower up abover the driveway much like I would do with my snowplow without the feet on it. 

I was hoping that I could just make an adjustment to level this beast and when i put the blower down I would just bump it up about an inch or so. I guess I could just do the same and watch the right side .

• Like 1

Larry Fostano

Gwest , the model of my WH is 73540, the serial number is 8901264 this is a 2000 model I was told. You asked for serial# , is the serial number you want for the blower or the WH its self?

• Like 1

Larry Fostano

Red-Bovine So as I already replied above, the right side drags in to the gravel which loosen up the gravel. I guess the driveway is too soft and never really freezes deep enough for the skids to track on top without digging into it.

• Like 1

Red-Bovine

Could you weld on some wider, longer plates on the skids and turn up the noses like little skiis to keep them from digging in. The skids are sacrificial runners to prevent the bottom of the blower from getting worn out and damaged and are meant to glide on the pavement or gravel. Making them bigger might solve your problem. Snow blowers aren't the best for gravel, as you have found out. I used to snow blow our grass runway and always lowered the blower all the way and never suspended it. Uneven surfaces with a lot of crown in the center are not good and blowers will pick up gravel and anything else and throw it a long way.

Edited by Red-Bovine

gwest_ca

Just wanted to link you to the correct info but was thinking snow blower at the time. Even though the model number of an item styed the same the serial number could provide different manuals.

2 pages of info in no particular order

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?q=73540&quick=1&type=downloads_file

• Like 1

rjg854

Take the skids off and use the mounting pattern of them to make new skids that have wheels on them.

1633332894_20181110_151243(1).jpg.72d7de4c68241e3f78d731cef68cc2e2.jpg

• Like 2

WHX??
17 hours ago, Larry Fostano said:

Its not going to be fun raking this all out.

I hear ya there Larry ... same thing here before I black topped. one of the reasons I quit plowing it and went to blowing. Plowing was worse @Red-Bovine actually had gravel piles on the lawn!

I have two sno blowing machines now... one set up for scraping the blacktop and one set up high for "off road" to get out to the wood lot and dealing with gravel crowns and unevenness. 

Someday I am going to go Randy's route with wheels but want to figure out I can make them tool less adjustable. 

The thing I don't like about bumping it up is all that weight bouncing on the front and more sway. Alright I guess as long as you go slow. 

JCM
18 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Someday I am going to go Randy's route with wheels but want to figure out I can make them tool less adjustable. 

The thing I don't like about bumping it up is all that weight bouncing on the front and more sway.

:text-yeahthat:   

15 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

The thing I don't like about bumping it up is all that weight bouncing on the front and more sway.

Red-Bovine

Those wheels look AWESOME. Great idea.