ebinmaine

Is there a punch that makes a round hole square?

ebinmaine

I need to make 16, ¼" round holes to squares so I can use carriage bolts. 

How?

IMG_20230318_065855541_HDR.jpg.3d26d978626d342272631b0d640bbc0d.jpg

ri702bill

YES - but is homemade. I made a 3/8" square high speed steel Lathe bit into one a few years back for the carriage bolts on a home made plow cutting edge. Had to use a carbide cutter to get to a pilot diameter - just a bit smaller than the thru holes in the part. NOT a tool to be struck with a hammer - had to use the 20 ton press. AND you still have to hand file the broached hole oversize to get the true-to-size carriage bolt head in.....

OR - you forego eating solid food for a while and order a 9/32" square broach from McMaster - $178 + shipping. That too must be used in a press. Broaches cut progressively with small bites and little physical effort - but they can shatter if mis-aligned...

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ranger

You could perhaps make a punch by finding an old file with a suitable size ‘Tang’, make a few file cuts across the tapered tang, to provide teeth, (similar to a keyway broach, but on all four sides). Heat the tang to red hot and quench then temper slightly. (The tangs are not usually hardened). Then use it in a press, big vise, or, if you can find a piece of wood, sit the gate latch on the wood and hammer the punch into the round hole. Whilst hardening the tang, heat the other end of the file and let it cool without quenching to soften it, or use a copper, etc mallet. Don’t hit the hardened file with a hard hammer and risk flying splinters!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill
13 minutes ago, Achto said:

Use a small file to make the holes square??

They make broach's for making square holes. You might not like the price though.

https://www.msdiscounttool.com/catalog/product_info.php?csv=gg&products_id=131226&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkp-8orbl_QIVRCCtBh2nLA28EAQYASABEgIFdfD_BwE

Unless you are going into "Square Holes for Fun & Profit" business.....:lol:

• Haha 1

wallfish

A square file makes the corners pretty quick. They don't need to be exactly perfect either as the pressure will force the square into the hole.

A good solid handle on the file helps or if you hold both ends of the file. I use and aggressive file. Too fine of a cut takes too long.

Getting an adapter and file for a reciprocating saw will make short work of it too

https://www.amazon.com/Reciprotools-RCT-A10-Reciprocating-Saw-Adapter/dp/B001CNHDR2/ref=asc_df_B001CNHDR2?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80676721523958&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276297280457&psc=1

reciprotool-saw-accessories-rct-rtm-10-c3.2 

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

pacer

I use a similar version of @wallfish method - its simple, inexpensive and works quite well. After all, the square doesnt need to be anywhere close to 'precision' , just enough to get it started and the nut will pull the bolt thru. (Disclaimer - obviously only on sheet metal similar to what is on our horses!)

• Like 4

wallfish

QMASQ1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

JPWH

I have used a Dremel cone file for rough cut then finished with a hand file. But only for a couple holes.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, JPWH said:

only for a couple holes.

I've got 16 to do. Maybe more. 

Handy Don

A friend just used an industrial punch to put a ½” square hole in 3/16” plate for my seat riser. Took at least six minutes to set up and align. Thirty seconds for the 5 hp electric motor to spin up to speed. One second to punch the hole. Awesome machine!

These are often referred to as Greenlee Knockouts or Greenlee Punches. I’ve used them in the past and they work well. I’d love to have a handful of them in common sizes! Most common are rounds--easier to use as there is no alignment issue--but squares are out there.

41 minutes ago, wallfish said:

QMASQ1.jpg

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

Trail cam just picked this up...

@ebinmaine's new building...

Instead of a minivan they went with this... good price... Unfortunately, forgot square hole round peg thing though...

image.jpeg.bf3dbfa11400a89ed7930537413c46a5.jpeg

:occasion-clown:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

David Blanchard

If it light stock you are going thru can you just drill for 11/32 and suck the bolt thru with a flat washer nut & some lube?

r

• Like 3

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, David Blanchard said:

If it light stock you are going thru can you just drill for 11/32 and suck the bolt thru with a flat washer nut & some lube?

r

If it was sheet metal I could certainly do that.  

Not sure in the metal thickness I'm working with. Likely about .100 and a softer steel.  

A bit too much to draw the bolt through.  

ebinmaine
21 hours ago, Handy Don said:

A friend just used an industrial punch to put a ½” square hole in 3/16” plate for my seat riser. Took at least six minutes to set up and align. Thirty seconds for the 5 hp electric motor to spin up to speed. One second to punch the hole. Awesome machine!

These are often referred to as Greenlee Knockouts or Greenlee Punches. I’ve used them in the past and they work well. I’d love to have a handful of them in common sizes! Most common are rounds--easier to use as there is no alignment issue--but squares are out there.

Our friend that works in a truck fab shop has a Piranha machine. 

HUGE piece of equipment.  

Bunches of different dies for it. 

But it's too far away to be convenient.   

• Like 1

ri702bill
22 hours ago, Handy Don said:

QMASQ1.jpg

These are amazing timesavers, if used carefully and properly. Note the upward curve of the 4 corners - there to start the cut from the outside curling inward and to reduce the shear effort required.

A word of caution - I witnessed a careless work accident back in the 1980's where the newly trained operator put the upper cap on upside down wlhile not paying attention. The punch was powered by a hydraulic unit that generated tons of force. The cap shattered, a couple parts of it were now imbedded in the operator's upper thigh. Off to the ER.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wayne0
On 3/19/2023 at 7:58 AM, ebinmaine said:

If it was sheet metal I could certainly do that.  

Not sure in the metal thickness I'm working with. Likely about .100 and a softer steel.  

A bit too much to draw the bolt through.  

Just me, but I'd try it. Steel will deform on both sides and it might work out for you.

Let us know.

Edited by Wayne0
grammar