ineedanother

Today's screwdrivers

ineedanother

I don't see where this has been talked about lately and since I got a new set today I thought I would mention it. My set of DeWalts are failing (after just 3-4 years ) so I was in the market but not looking for $20-$25/each for Snap-On or the like. I'm not brand-loyal per-se but that's not always true (:wh:, BMW, stihl, Bacardi, etc...:rolleyes:) I digress but I don't condone throw-away products if avoidable when affordable.

The shafts on these are not replaceable at this price point so they are throw-away by design but my impression is that they will likely last long enough that I won't regret eventually having to send them to the dump. I got a set of 6 Milwaukee for well under $10 each and tested them a bit (pun) this evening. I'm optimistic. Wrench-ready, hardened tips, T-bar (although they don't advertise that) and they're comfortable. So many of us are wrenching that I thought we might enlighten each other with advice on such an essential drawer in the box.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6CZKN3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 4

ineedanother

I had intended to mention also that the set I mentioned are made in Taiwan FWIW. Again, I'm not promoting any brand or design, just offering my thought for today.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Good looking set. 

I've taken to purchasing good used tools of the vintage sort and usually it works out ok. 

These Milwaukee pieces I may have to consider...

• Excellent 1

wallfish

I tend to use abuse and loose screwdrivers pretty quick. For me they're chisels, pry bars punches etc etc and consider most of them throw always for that reason. So I buy the cheap ones but always keep an 11 in 1 Klein that doesn't get used for any of that abusive stuff and it's everything there in one nice tool. :twocents-02cents:

https://www.amazon.com/Screwdriver-Multi-bit-Klein-Tools-80027/dp/B0912BW9HP/ref=asc_df_B0912BW9HP?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264463741084&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863993771673&psc=1 

• Like 6
  • Heart 1

ineedanother

@wallfish, I have Klein T-wrench sets for torx and hex in SAE and metric. Good tools and essential back when I was doing a lot of work on chainsaws. I second the recommendation for their tools from my experience.

• Like 2

formariz

Screwdrivers are indeed not a typical subject on tool talk and perhaps the most abused and neglected tool there is. As John stated they are usually used for everything but what they are designed for. They are usually the first thing one grabs regardless of the task. 
  Something else that contributes to their demise too early is the fact that most people use the wrong screwdriver on the wrong screw head. Driving a screw by hand is a skill that most don’t have and no one learns it today. One needs to use the correct screwdriver, understand and recognize the different screw heads and know the mechanics of properly driving a screw. Not all slotted screws are the same and not all Phillips are the same. I am not just referring to the different sizes of Phillips such as the typical no.1,2,&3. An European Phillips is very different than an American Phillips. Although the screwdrivers for each look identical to most, they are not. They do not fit well when interchanged and contribute to premature wear on screwdriver along with frustration in the process. Same goes for slotted screws. A slotted wood screw is not the same as a slotted metal screw. Correct screw drivers for each are different. 
  Like any tool one usually gets what one pays for as far as new stuff goes . I am not an advocate of cheap tools , the humble screw driver included. However, if one uses them correctly for the right purposes they should last considerably regardless of price or quality. I probably drive more screws by hand in a year than most will in a lifetime. Honestly, I don’t remember the last time I had to buy a new screw driver because what I have wore out or broke. I have bought them because I happened to like a particular one and just had to have it. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill

My thoughts - First and the most  important for me is the "fit" of the handle in my hand. Solid or cushioned, it has to "feel" right in use. I, for one, do not particularly like the fit of the older Craftsman screwdrivers - and I have 2 sets !! Second - screwdriver handles with replaceable tips - there is a better tip design than the standard Phillips - a version designated ACR that has serations on both sides the 4 flutes that bite into the screw and reduce "cam-out" in use. Used these at work in powered drivers for Assembly. With the "proper" amount of downforce they are almost 100% effective in getting the screws seated.

Bill

• Like 2

ri702bill
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

electrical apprenticeship

I'll get to that in a minute....  back in my Machine Tool Building days, I used to do a tool run to Sears on a Friday after work, every 2 months or so. I gave plenty of notice thruout the Company - give me your bent, busted, broken Craftsman tools by 3 PM, I'll see about getting them repaired / replaced. Got to know the Tool Department Manager by name - he could always pick out the tools used by the Electricians - the screwdrivers and needlenose pliers with the tips burnt !!  :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Racinbob

In the mid 70's when I got in the electrical apprenticeship my Dad set me up with the basic tools needed and they consisted mainly of Klein and Channellock. The screwdrivers were all Klein and I believe all but one have never been replaced. One replacement was the result of a slip while working on a live circuit. Those tools now have their own tool box that comes out when I'm doing electrical work. I've got duplicates that are much newer but it just isn't the same to me. I also have a fancy to pick one up simply because I like the feel. I'm slowly warming up to the multi bit versions for odds and ends around the house and my favorite to date is a Lenox. The freebies from Harbor Freight are actually pretty decent too. I've got at least a half dozen of those cuz I liked the price. I'm sure liking that Klein that @wallfish mentioned though. I do have a strict policy about them though. NEVER work in a live electrical panel with a screwdriver with removable tips. :eek:

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 5

c-series don

I still have some of my SK screwdrivers from a set I bought 30+ years ago. The ones I don’t have anymore I believe are the ones my brother borrowed and never returned (I could start a separate thread on that!) They are still my favorite. Other than that I used to be a Craftsman guy because the Sears a few towns away had a great tool selection. They would without question replace any broken Craftsman tools. Now like most Sears stores they are gone unfortunately. Plus I liked the unforgettable slogan “Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust or otherwise be defective!” 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

squonk

I bought a couple of Vessel Impacta screwdrivers to get the rusty Phillips screw out of the inside of convection ovens. I had to change a blower motor in one and no way was I breaking that screw loose by hand. I hit the end of the screwdriver with a hammer while the same time applying twisting force to the handle.

The screw didn't budge and the tip sheared off of the screwdriver! :shock:

Megadora : 980 Series

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Sailman

Collected Kobalt and Craftsman screw drivers over the years in all sizes that have done well for me. Also have a set of "beaters" that are reserved for the unusual screw driver punishment tasks...

• Like 1

Wayne0
On 3/17/2023 at 9:45 PM, formariz said:

Screwdrivers are indeed not a typical subject on tool talk and perhaps the most abused and neglected tool there is. As John stated they are usually used for everything but what they are designed for. They are usually the first thing one grabs regardless of the task. 
  Something else that contributes to their demise too early is the fact that most people use the wrong screwdriver on the wrong screw head. Driving a screw by hand is a skill that most don’t have and no one learns it today. One needs to use the correct screwdriver, understand and recognize the different screw heads and know the mechanics of properly driving a screw. Not all slotted screws are the same and not all Phillips are the same. I am not just referring to the different sizes of Phillips such as the typical no.1,2,&3. An European Phillips is very different than an American Phillips. Although the screwdrivers for each look identical to most, they are not. They do not fit well when interchanged and contribute to premature wear on screwdriver along with frustration in the process. Same goes for slotted screws. A slotted wood screw is not the same as a slotted metal screw. Correct screw drivers for each are different. 
  Like any tool one usually gets what one pays for as far as new stuff goes . I am not an advocate of cheap tools , the humble screw driver included. However, if one uses them correctly for the right purposes they should last considerably regardless of price or quality. I probably drive more screws by hand in a year than most will in a lifetime. Honestly, I don’t remember the last time I had to buy a new screw driver because what I have wore out or broke. I have bought them because I happened to like a particular one and just had to have it. 

Ask ANY gunsmith about bit fit! If it's not perfect, it buggers the screw on a very expensive firearm!

hotajax

THE BEST DEAL OF ALL TIME:  Costco had a deal for TITAN brand screwdrivers.  There were 39 screwdrivers on a big cardboard display of all sizes and shapes, picks, long or short, you name it.  And the screwdrivers all had magnetic tips.  The cost of this collection was $9.95, and of course, if you don't like it, Costco will always take their stuff back.  The screwdrivers were strong as all get out, I have yet to booger up a tip or see any rust if I left one outside.  Sorry I didn't buy more of them.  But they're so cheap in price that you can give a few away to somebody in need and look like a nice guy.  :D

Charbs152
On 3/17/2023 at 7:27 PM, ineedanother said:

I don't see where this has been talked about lately and since I got a new set today I thought I would mention it. My set of DeWalts are failing (after just 3-4 years ) so I was in the market but not looking for $20-$25/each for Snap-On or the like. I'm not brand-loyal per-se but that's not always true (:wh:, BMW, stihl, Bacardi, etc...:rolleyes:) I digress but I don't condone throw-away products if avoidable when affordable.

The shafts on these are not replaceable at this price point so they are throw-away by design but my impression is that they will likely last long enough that I won't regret eventually having to send them to the dump. I got a set of 6 Milwaukee for well under $10 each and tested them a bit (pun) this evening. I'm optimistic. Wrench-ready, hardened tips, T-bar (although they don't advertise that) and they're comfortable. So many of us are wrenching that I thought we might enlighten each other with advice on such an essential drawer in the box.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6CZKN3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I still buy and use the old style craftsman with the clear and white and blue handles.  been using them since i was a kid.  They aren't USA made anymore but the lifetime warranty is still there...  When i break the tips using the straight ones as chisels, i just bring them to lowes and they give me new ones :D

Edited by Charbs152
  • Like 1

ineedanother
1 hour ago, Charbs152 said:

I still buy and use the old style craftsman with the clear and white and blue handles.  been using them since i was a kid.  They aren't USA made anymore but the lifetime warranty is still there...  When i break the tips using the straight ones as chisels, i just bring them to lowes and they give me new ones :D

I still have a few of those. This is one of my favorites...

IMG_0731.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1