Lcfman

310-8 carburetor

Lcfman

I bought my 310-8 in 1987 new. It has been a great lawn tractor and very reliable. I just replaced the belts last year unbelievable. This year I started to use it and noticed it was not running as usual. After inspecting it I noticed the main throttle linkage shaft is worn completely out. So I need a new carburetor. I called my local dealer and they said they can not get that carb any more. I went on line and found many “replacements”. My question is there a good carburetor anyone can recommend for this application 

• Like 4

Achto

:WRS:

36 minutes ago, Lcfman said:

I noticed the main throttle linkage shaft is worn completely out.

Which carburetor do you have? If it has a Carter carb then you can actually install bushings to repair the issue. Not sure about the Walbro carb. Other than that I have heard good and bad reviews about the China knock offs. 

• Like 1

WHX??

I would try the 20 buck knockoffs as have had good luck with them but don't scrap the orginal. There are guys here that can replace the bushing and make it new again.  

With the knock offs you just have to watch the choke lever that it operates by being pulled down. 

I'm thinkin your dealer wants to sell you a new mower. Not sayin he is a liar he just don't wanna look. We save old iron here. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

The cheap Chinees knock-off carburetors you find on :techie-ebay: are junk. You will pay a bit more for a good one but it is an investment rather than an expense. Give "I Save Old Tractors" a call.      https://isavetractors.com/carburetor-bundle-pack-for-k241-k301-m10-and-m12-engines/

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk

I'm willing to bet it has a Walbro model. Not my favorite carb.

• Like 1

953 nut
18 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

try the 20 buck knockoffs as have had good luck with them but don't scrap the orginal

The knock offs you see now are listed as being for 10, 12, 14 and 16 HP. Universal fits all bit won't be correct for any! The last one I got was the correct throttle plate size for a 10 or 12 HP (26mm) but the main jet was sized for a 16 HP. It ran but wouldn't idle and did not respond to adjustments. If this were used on a 14 or 16 HP it should have been a 30mm throttle. Once I replaced the plastic float and used the correct main jet it was OK.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wallfish

I've had good luck with the cheap chinese $20 knockoffs for the Tecumseh engines but not so much for the Kohlers. Hit or miss and one out of four actually worked good. They were for K181 engines

$70 bucks for one from Isavetractors is worth it. IMO Yes they are still knockoffs but the quality is better and haven't had any issues with any of them at all.

Here's one without all the extra stuff and just the carb for $70. It comes with the extra choke rod to change it from the M10 to the K241 if needed.

https://isavetractors.com/carburetor-26-for-kohler-k241-k301-m10-m12-engines/

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

I beg to differ Richard but will admit I never got one for a big block ... just teckys and small blocks but it has always been pretty much plug n play. I figured for what they get I've wasted money in worst ways. 

Note how I Saves has got the two different choke shafts. I would almost have to believe his carbs are/might be offshore. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Good deal 'Fish...  Personally would butter up @ebinmaine and have him have a look see. 

If you think you  can DIY @Lcfman ther are some good tutorials here on replacing the bushing. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

wallfish
6 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I beg to differ Richard but will admit I never got one for a big block ... just teckys and small blocks but it has always been pretty much plug n play. I figured for what they get I've wasted money in worst ways. 

Note how I Saves has got the two different choke shafts. I would almost have to believe his carbs are/might be offshore. 

Definitely easier to simply change Teccy carbs than it is to just clean them.

The knockoffs from epay kept flooding. I changed things, checked things and messed around with them until finally just throwing them on the back shelf. Couldn't bring myself to smashing them with a hammer although it came close! They were much better back in the day but it seems the quality has taken a dive over the last couple of years.

Yes, isavetractor carbs are offshore knockoffs too but think they are Taiwan and made to specs. Machined better too. They are definitely a better quality and so far all have worked very well from the K582 down to K181s.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Jim, @WHX??, I don't have any small blocks, just 10, 12 and 14 HP. Small block with the exception of the K-90/91 all have the same size carburetor so they can't screw around too much with wrong parts.

• Like 2

WHX??
3 minutes ago, wallfish said:

to smashing them with a hammer 🔨 

BFH 'Fish? :lol:

• Haha 4

WHX??
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Jim, @WHX??, I don't have any small blocks

Sounds to me like we need get you fixed up then Richard ... I got a real nice 181 in a no name I'll give ya ...better than seeing a school bus driver molest it ...  I'll not mention names... :lol:

Sorry Lsfman we get a little :offtopic:here but rest assured we will get your dilemma sorted... 

kpinnc
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I'm willing to bet it has a Walbro model. Not my favorite carb.

My 1987 310-8 had the Walbro on it, but I swapped to a Carter. Now it's running a China copy until I rebuild the Carter. No problems so far.

But yes, you'll likely have to rob the choke shaft from the original if you go with a copy.

JCM

:text-welcomeconfetti:to    :rs:Great tractor that 310-8 , sips fuel and plenty of power for a 10 HP

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 3/15/2023 at 7:37 PM, 953 nut said:

The cheap Chinees knock-off carburetors you find on :techie-ebay: are junk. You will pay a bit more for a good one but it is an investment rather than an expense. Give "I Save Old Tractors" a call.      https://isavetractors.com/carburetor-bundle-pack-for-k241-k301-m10-and-m12-engines/

I hate to break it to you, but those carbs are also from countries in Asia--likely China--though possibly he is exercising a bit better quality control and you can have certainty that it’ll work on the machines he says it will.

Make replacement carbs for these old engines in the U.S. and sell them profitably ? Surely you jest.

JimSraj

The one I got from iSavetractors for the k301 is running fine. Had to flip the choke if I remember correctly. 

tunahead72
On 3/15/2023 at 6:44 PM, Lcfman said:

... I noticed the main throttle linkage shaft is worn completely out...

@Lcfman Can you clarify?  Is the throttle shaft actually worn out, or is it just loose in the bore?  A photo would help.

I don't think it matters if it's a Carter or a Walbro carb, I believe the shafts can be bushed on either of them to take out the slop if that's the problem.  And if the shaft itself needs to be replaced, you should be able to find one somewhere (either separately or as part of a good used carb).

It would help to know what model year your tractor is, it could be 1986 or 1987 if you bought it in '87.  There should be a tag on the rear fender somewhere with a model number.  The two years used slightly different Kohler engines (K241 for the '86, Magnum M10 for the '87), I don't remember if they used the same carb.

There's also a carburetor reference manual here with EVERYTHING you would ever want to know about these carbs, if you want to take yours apart and tackle it yourself.