Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

ran the 520 through first mow some ?'s

truckin88

So the 520 had its first full mow, since being put back together, I have used it to pull mulch etc. But not mow yet. The cut is.... Excellent!

My one issue was the inline fuel filter came lose and sprinkled on me, caught it early, that is fixed.

M other issue was I hit a metal stake in the ground ( to tie the dog onto), the 520 cut into it and kept going. The deck belt slipped off the two side spindle/pulleys for the blades. The blades and spindles look unharmed / unbent, from what - can see, took the belt cover off and reseated it they move as they should. Should I check anything?

The 520 is a power house and freakin fast compared to my C-120.power was constant through the hour and half of mowing. But it is louder, not unbearable, but way louder, is this normal, should I mow at full throttle, it maxs out the tach/rpms.

Thanks

hodge

Any time you use a hydro machine, you are supposed to run it at full RPM. That is how the hydro is designed to operate.

Duvall

The rpms should max out at 3600. If you are burying tach at 4000rpm then one of two things are happening.

1. The tach is reading incorrectly.

2. The governor is not adjusted correctly.

You are supposed to operate at full throttle. I usually mow at 3000rpm to save fuel. I have never had a hydo problem.

truckin88

I will lower the throttle a bit. What about the loudness, is it normal? Where and how do you adjust the govenor.

Duvall

Loudness? I guess that depends on what you consider loud.

If I mow at full throttle (not very often) I prefer to wear hearing protection.

The governor is adjusted by spring tension on the rocker that the throttle cable is attached to.

EDIT:

There is probably another more mechanical way to adjust the govenor, but that is how I adjust my 416, was by moving the spring into a different hole.

truckin88

If I mow at full throttle (not very often) I prefer to wear hearing protection.

The governor is adjusted by spring tension on the rocker that the throttle cable is attached to.

Louder than the C-120, but this was also my first time wearing hearing protection, so my sense of loudness might be off.....

This thing is FAST!

Duvall

Ground speed on the 520H I believe should be 5.6mph

Does it feel faster than that?

If you think that is fast you should drive a 8 speed with a 3" pulley on the trans.

truckin88

Ground speed on the 520H I believe should be 5.6mph

Does it feel faster than that?

If you think that is fast you should drive a 8 speed with a 3" pulley on the trans.

According to my manual, for the 1988 520's forward speed is 6.4mph and reverse is 4.0mph. the 520-HC is 7.5 forward 4.8 reverse

everything is comparing to my 12hp C-120 8 speed, which is a torque machine.

The eaton 11 however is awesome with speed control and down grades and everything. Lots of fun.

Duvall

According to my manual, for the 1988 520's forward speed is 6.4mph and reverse is 4.0mph. the 520-HC is 7.5 forward 4.8 reverse

everything is comparing to my 12hp C-120 8 speed, which is a torque machine.

The eaton 11 however is awesome with speed control and down grades and everything. Lots of fun.

I agree.

I love the 520H

The power, the sound. Its all good.

linen beige

It's so loud he couldn't hear himself typing the same post three times. :thumbs2:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.) :thumbs:

04fxdwgi

So the 520 had its first full mow, since being put back together, I have used it to pull mulch etc. But not mow yet. The cut is.... Excellent!

My one issue was the inline fuel filter came lose and sprinkled on me, caught it early, that is fixed.

M other issue was I hit a metal stake in the ground ( to tie the dog onto), the 520 cut into it and kept going. The deck belt slipped off the two side spindle/pulleys for the blades. The blades and spindles look unharmed / unbent, from what - can see, took the belt cover off and reseated it they move as they should. Should I check anything?

The 520 is a power house and freakin fast compared to my C-120.power was constant through the hour and half of mowing. But it is louder, not unbearable, but way louder, is this normal, should I mow at full throttle, it maxs out the tach/rpms.

Thanks

This one os fast........

truckin88

Yesterday was my first day wearing ear protection and I think thats what made it louder, as the same thing happened with my brand new stihl FS 55

I ran today and the tach read 3400-3600 all cut long so I guess we are good. She is a monster.

HorseFixer

This one os fast........

Horse Cruelty! :thumbs2: but ive learned it takes all kinds! :thumbs:

Torino

Loud? I was surprised how quite my 520 was compared to my JD 318 with a new muffler. Maybe something is wrong with your muffler?

rickv1957

I always thought that the 520s had a sweet sound!,Rick

blaise314

When I worked at my dad's wheel horse shop we repaired/replaced a lot of hydros damaged from running at half throttle. Get a tach on it, adjust if necessary, and run it full out.

truckin88

gents this thread is old, that tractor has been sold, issue was the govenor.