RED-Z06

Another classic deere

RED-Z06

This one is rough...got it cheap, engine is an 18hp Linamar so its much newer than the 1985 machine

20230220_130425.jpg

• Like 5

TonyToro Jr.

:eusa-clap: nice find!

RED-Z06

Wish more WH would pop up locally...i buy them when they do but its rare...or they have been hacked up by kids to be "mud mowers" which seems like something kids that will definitely buy a 20 year old Tahoe and squat it would do.

• Haha 1

T-Mo

The John Deere 318 has been called the best garden tractor made.  That is a claim that does have it's merits, but it is of course objective.  When Deere made it's predecessor, the 317, Deere chose (like many manufacturer's the Kohler KT17 to power it.  When a lot of those engines began to have premature oil failures, Deere made an Onan repower kit to put into customer's 317s.  When Deere brought our the 317 successor, it had to be good.  Therefore the 318 had to be good.  18 hp Onan engine, dual hydraulics, bullet proof transmission, turning brakes, etc.  The 318 was what the doctor ordered.

The 318 was also brought out with the 16 hp Onan 316, basically a stripped down version of the 318, much as the 314 was to the 317.  In 1986, Deere brought out the 316 diesel version, the 330 which was, more or less Deere testing the waters.  In 1987 Deere replaced the 330 with the 318 diesel version, the 332, and also added the 3 cylinder Yanmar gas 322.  The 316 received a 18 hp Onan.  The complete line, along with the 420 and 430, stayed in the Deere lineup through 1992 when all got replaced by the 3X5 and 4X5 tractors.

I had both the 316 and a 318, plus a 430.  They were one of the strongest, most robust tractors built during that era, by any brand.  

• Like 4

OutdoorEnvy

Yeah there was a time when I couldn't find a WH that I had told myself if the right deal on a 318 popped up I might have to pull the trigger.  Nice ones seem to command high dollar and junk ones that are cheap seem like quite the project undertaking with a hard to determine investment cost.  I was wanting a garden tractor and never did see the right deal on a 318 and a 312-8 eventually came a long.  I got to look over a 318 pretty close from a friend that had one and it was really nice and seemed well thought out.  Lots of implement options.  It was hard to picture a well running 318 not meeting any expectation you could put on a garden tractor.  That's what made me warm up to one.  Still have a soft spot for one and am not ruling one out one day.   But for now I'm holding out for a WH with a Eaton 1100 hydro....it's hard to commit to a different implement brand when you start to have a WH arsenal of implements.

Nice grab though!  Keep us updated on the progress!  :thumbs:

Edited by OutdoorEnvy

RED-Z06
5 hours ago, T-Mo said:

The John Deere 318 has been called the best garden tractor made.  That is a claim that does have it's merits, but it is of course objective.  When Deere made it's predecessor, the 317, Deere chose (like many manufacturer's the Kohler KT17 to power it.  When a lot of those engines began to have premature oil failures, Deere made an Onan repower kit to put into customer's 317s.  When Deere brought our the 317 successor, it had to be good.  Therefore the 318 had to be good.  18 hp Onan engine, dual hydraulics, bullet proof transmission, turning brakes, etc.  The 318 was what the doctor ordered.

The 318 was also brought out with the 16 hp Onan 316, basically a stripped down version of the 318, much as the 314 was to the 317.  In 1986, Deere brought out the 316 diesel version, the 330 which was, more or less Deere testing the waters.  In 1987 Deere replaced the 330 with the 318 diesel version, the 332, and also added the 3 cylinder Yanmar gas 322.  The 316 received a 18 hp Onan.  The complete line, along with the 420 and 430, stayed in the Deere lineup through 1992 when all got replaced by the 3X5 and 4X5 tractors.

I had both the 316 and a 318, plus a 430.  They were one of the strongest, most robust tractors built during that era, by any brand.  

There was a 330 about 25 minutes north of me..low hours but every bit as neglected as this 318...guy was firm at $1000, so it'll sit a long time.

sergeant
5 hours ago, T-Mo said:

People who had a 317 with a Kohler K series I on a flat yard would usually would not have issue with the 317 I actually still find Ruining 317 with K series I People who had Hills on their Property were usually the people that would have the catastrophic failures of the K series I IH Cub's and Many others' tractor Manufacturers that used the K series I also Had those Issues   By 1982 the Kohler K series II was Installed In the 317 The Onan was sent as a re-power engine Kit for owners who suffered the catastrophic engine failures some dealers would actually Install the Onan anyway before sales even Once Deere and Kohler learned of the Problem the series I was still Installed But the K series one did damage Deere's reputation at the time and Kohler was slow to address the Issue didn't help the 317 either   so that is why Deere started with the Onan re-Power Kits do to Kohler's Lack of addressing the Problem 1st year the 318 and 420 were sold Deere still marketed the 314 as the Lower cost tractor which was Kind of funny as it was the Only Garden tractor in 1983 that Offered and Optional Loader. The 44 Loader was still In the final development stages in 1983 finally Introduced for the 1984 model year

The 325 through GX355 did not in any way replace the 300 through 332 very common misconception do to the Numbering Deere used !  The 325 through GX355 and even the X500 series today is a continuation of the 200 series tractor which can trace it Linage to the 110RF

The 316Onan through 430 were replaced By the 425 through 455 as shown below

318 replaced by 425 - Copy.jpg

Edited by sergeant
  • Like 2

pfrederi

My brother bought a well used JD317 (KT17 series 1) many years ago (1984/5?).  He used it for 10 years or so but the engine developed a bad leak on the crank seals (well over 2000 hours but hour meter had died...).  He bought a replacement KT17 from Northern tool and it is still running today..hydro is noisy but works fine.  The original engine sat in the attic of his barn for another 10 years or so until I retrieved it to repower a C-175 I got that had a ventilated block. Replaced the crank seals swapped out some external parts and it is still running.  Does smoke for a few minutes on start up. Runs the sweepster...

IMG_0121.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

RED-Z06

As much as i love Deeres...i got to say their variable speed gear drive is among the worst things ive used...i get why some people love it, but...its a pain to service and as the belts wear you have to periodically recalibrate the variable speed handle.  

sergeant
7 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

As much as i love Deeres...i got to say their variable speed gear drive is among the worst things ive used...i get why some people love it, but...its a pain to service and as the belts wear you have to periodically recalibrate the variable speed handle.  

Actually, I find that the easiest thing to do. I have an Older 1969 112 SF replaced the Belts In 2007 It was the second replacement it had. Previous owner and original purchaser Only replaced them once in 1990. If The 200 series had a Manual PTO, Very easy to do. Once the Belt are changed Take spark Plug wire off Put quadrant lever In 2nd Notch Up (actually don't remember which Notch, I think it's second)  Put ratchet In adjustment Hole Unloose Bolt Turn key watch Pedals rise tighten bolt (make sure parking brake is not engaged)  The Only thing I hate is the 112's with Tecumseh engines  I rather Have a Kohler Myself which some of the Later 112SF had. I Just Prefer the Later 200 series myself 240 through 285  attachments are so much easier to Change over  and the 240 & 260 are True Gear drives No Variator I really wish Deere Had Made the Variator Optional  on the 110/112 RF & SF. Love to find a 208 from the 200 series as it Had No Variator:handgestures-thumbupleft:

RED-Z06

Well, i dug into it...unmounted the front tires, cleaned the beads and put in some flat-out, they hold.  It had no hydraulic oil showing so i put about a gallon in.  Put in a battery...nothing, no lights no clicks...zip.

Started by removing the battery and battery tray to get harness access and what i found was...ugh.  both fuses were cut out and wired directly, the ignition switch was rotted off in back, lots of "repairs" in the harness.  I printed out the full electric schematic and the demystification chart.  

These have a time delay module that, if you bounce on the seat..starts a timer and kills spark after 1 second...to prevent backfires.  Everything switched, goes through that magic box.  So new ignition switch, new fuse holders, new 5 pin plug at the switch, key on...no dash lights, no pto..but it did crank over.  No spark.  I know i needed 12v to the + side of the breakerless coil, didnt have it.  Also the tdcm didnt click.  Ordered a 2nd switch...no change.  I fixed the rear harness ground and got the tail lights working, jumping 12v to one switch wire made the pto work.  I ended up flipping the position of 2 wires on the switch away from how the diagram had them..immediately had a charge light on the dash..and 12v to the coil.  I added gas to the tank, hand choked it...cranked on it maybe 3 seconds and off it went.  Ran great.  But..I never get a oil switch test light on key on, so i traced that back and found that spot on the 5 pin plug on the engine was empty.  Come to find out this warranty replacement engine has a pipe plug where the sender goes...so, im waiting on a 5/16 square pipe plug socket to reach in to remove it...then ill put on my spare sender and harness.  

Power steering works great, hydro works great.  Only bigger fix i have left is pull the driveshaft to install a new hydro input seal, its puking fluid.

• Like 2

RED-Z06

Progress.  Driveshaft was failing, rebuilt it with new joints and a new rear yoke.  Repaired the hood, dash is restored, all the tin is stripped, primed and painted..clearcoat tomorrow 

20230304_150854.jpg

20230304_150904.jpg

20230305_174540.jpg

20230305_174601.jpg

20230308_174223.jpg

20230308_174228.jpg

20230308_174232.jpg

20230309_205106.jpg

20230309_205119.jpg

20230309_205115.jpg

20230311_145543.jpg

20230311_145642.jpg

20230313_182631.jpg

20230313_185400.jpg

20230314_164214.jpg

• Like 2

Handy Don
10 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

20230305_174601.jpg

On the lower left of the dash it looks like PTO switch for an electric clutch. Was there an option for a rear PTO with a separate clutch as well?

Nice having weather for working outside!

Edited by Handy Don

RED-Z06
9 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

On the lower left of the dash it looks like PTO switch for an electric clutch. Was there an option for a rear PTO with a separate clutch as well?

Nice having weather for working outside!

Yes.  The shaft driven pump has a solid shaft through it, the rear pto kit essentially slipped a shaft over the output which drove a 2nd electric clutch into a gearbox.

s-l1600.jpg

• Thanks 1

RED-Z06

Getting close.  Decals, grille medallion, steering cap decal, wheel center caps, headlight lens, all on their way.

Seat is a bit spendy...mother deere is proud of them and its the only seat that works right...probably next week for that.

20230316_114017.jpg

20230316_114001.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

RED-Z06

Waiting on the new seat..

20230320_154324.jpg

• Like 2

RED-Z06

20230323_170733.jpg

• Excellent 2