FarmerJon

1988 312-8 safety (test) Board lights

FarmerJon

This 312-8 that I acquired has never had test lights that work (come on) when you activate the test switch. Has anyone had the same issue where the lights don’t come on at all? My tractor works without them but I sort of would like to get everything running correctly as Intended by the manufacturer. If anyone has had this same problem, was it an electrical issue or do these lights burn out eventually? I know that seems like a stupid question cause of course lights eventually burn out but these lights are very seldom used unless the operator activates the switch. 

• Like 1

Blasterdad
17 minutes ago, FarmerJon said:

This 312-8 that I acquired has never had test lights that work (come on) when you activate the test switch. Has anyone had the same issue where the lights don’t come on at all? My tractor works without them but I sort of would like to get everything running correctly as Intended by the manufacturer. If anyone has had this same problem, was it an electrical issue or do these lights burn out eventually? I know that seems like a stupid question cause of course lights eventually burn out but these lights are very seldom used unless the operator activates the switch. 

I just read somewhere that panel is grounded with the mounting screws... Maybe a bad ground...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

• Like 2

lynnmor

Clean the connection to the circuit board, if that is no help the board may be bad.

953 nut

If your hour meter and volt meter are working then the test lights should have power and a ground connection.

Your best bet is to carefully remove the test light panel and clean the contacts on the board and the plug that connects them. Use some electrical connection spray and a tooth brush. The board and other connections live near the battery and over time the acid fumes from charging the battery will cause corrosion. While you are at it take the time to clean all contacts in that area.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

FarmerJon

If the test board isn’t working or has bad connections, it shouldn’t cause the tractor to not start, correct?

• Like 2

peter lena

@farmer john  put a ground from your negative battery to chassis , and on to dash board don't   count on any  original grounds , paint/ corrosion often causes issues . pete

• Like 1

FarmerJon
2 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@farmer john  put a ground from your negative battery to chassis , and on to dash board don't   count on any  original grounds , paint/ corrosion often causes issues . pete

I cleaned all contacts except the contacts on the top that look like it’s a push and splice style connection. I cleaned those with just an electrical spray cleaner. 
does anyone know if this board would hinder my tractor from starting if the board is non functional?

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The circuit board has no effect on the engine operation. It simply monitors the state of the safety switches. Should start and run without the board plugged in if you want to rule it out.

• Like 4