Dreamcatcher

New to me 417A

Dreamcatcher

Will a snowblower off of a 280 fit on my 417?  I believe i've located one.

• Like 1

Blasterdad
4 minutes ago, Dreamcatcher said:

Will a snowblower off of a 280 fit on my 417?  I believe i've located one.

You'll have to be more specific, 280? 

If that's a vertical shaft Wheel Horse model then no, the mounts & pulley location are different...

• Like 2

Dreamcatcher
6 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

You'll have to be more specific, 280? 

If that's a vertical shaft Wheel Horse model then no, the mounts & pulley location are different...

Yes, the owner says it came off of a Wheel Horse 280.  Unfortunate, it is close.

Blasterdad

You will need one tha fits a C-Series or 300 400 or 500 Series or a 2 stage...

The single stage will look like this & have the drive pulley on the left (facing it) & lines up with the PTO. 

IMG_0479.JPG.70ebeb5c3dd64ae46cfb5b52ad4e26c4.JPGIMG_0450.JPG.d3a1eee988a6cbe53fa9e7f653946382.JPGIMG_0241.JPG.01c420c7475bb24dd4ef87b9aecf536e.JPGIMG_0499.JPG.790116d125dc4c046ebbca12ede10c04.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

Edited by Blasterdad
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Dreamcatcher

Would a 5xi snowthrower work on my tractor?

peter lena

@Blasterdad  noting your blower drive belt set up , do anything to improve /  verify  the idler  pulley spin up ? also the spring tensioned idler frame mount  areas ? did a grease change in bearings , and increase the tension spring pull , also changed the trunnion to a heim joint ,and freed up the pto lever start . washers / grease , like this .looking at washer  fill in on start of pto lever , that is also a ground rail, note the battery cable in last photo , going to engine corner / frame , from battery ground bolt . and plug in for battery tender . that ground enhances , rectifier charging , and head light connection , also wakes up your amperage gauge . any nagging problem , was removed , pete

• Like 2

peter lena

@TractorEd   that battery  / related area is a gold mine of improvement opportunities !  once I improved  a spot , just kept going , be prepared  to  be told you can't do that . but you can , and things will work easier / smoother , years  on my stuff now , pete 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blasterdad
1 hour ago, Dreamcatcher said:

Would a 5xi snowthrower work on my tractor?

No :( Sorry, I should have said not the xi series

11 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

You will need one tha fits a C-Series or 300 400 or 500 Series or a 2 stage...

• Like 1

Dreamcatcher

Another snowthrower question.  Will the 79360 work with the 417?  Thanks ahead of time

• Like 1

Dreamcatcher

Another snowthrower question.  Will the 79360 work with the 417?  Thanks ahead of time

Thank you for verifying this on another thread Eric

• Like 1

Dreamcatcher

Should/can I lubricate the PTO pulleys ?  They run very free with a faint squeak.  What are the other lubrication points that I should check? Deck bearings, spindles, anything else?  Thanks all

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Dreamcatcher said:

Should/can I lubricate the PTO pulleys ?  They run very free with a faint squeak.  What are the other lubrication points that I should check? Deck bearings, spindles, anything else?  Thanks all

@953 nut

• Like 1

953 nut
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@953 nut

EB, I figured Greasy Pete @peter lena would want to cover that subject.              :ychain:

• Haha 3

peter lena

@Dreamcatcher  https://www.amazon.com/Stens-280-750-Heavy-Duty-V-Idler-92-7103/dp/B001OK9YO8/ref=rvi_sccl_4/133- ,notice the wide side grease shields ? as opposed, tiny tight original ? easily remove those shields , clean out original grease , add a hi temp 500 deg + grease , reseal . its the collective drag of every related bearing, that makes the issue .regularly , did this to all my related , pto driven attachments. realise this is a tuff talking spot , but its the lubrication failure , due to hi stress / heat that starts the noise . lucas marine grease , is available , and has a very hi heat  level , bearing must be totally cleaned out , and carb cleaner flushed , before regrease . my mule drive bearings , used to whyne with noise , none of my bearings , make any noise now . only a suggestion , but every rotational  part should have a better  hi temp grease . have this set up on y 3 units , it works , quietly , pete  

• Like 3

Dreamcatcher
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Dreamcatcher  https://www.amazon.com/Stens-280-750-Heavy-Duty-V-Idler-92-7103/dp/B001OK9YO8/ref=rvi_sccl_4/133- ,notice the wide side grease shields ? as opposed, tiny tight original ? easily remove those shields , clean out original grease , add a hi temp 500 deg + grease , reseal . its the collective drag of every related bearing, that makes the issue .regularly , did this to all my related , pto driven attachments. realise this is a tuff talking spot , but its the lubrication failure , due to hi stress / heat that starts the noise . lucas marine grease , is available , and has a very hi heat  level , bearing must be totally cleaned out , and carb cleaner flushed , before regrease . my mule drive bearings , used to whyne with noise , none of my bearings , make any noise now . only a suggestion , but every rotational  part should have a better  hi temp grease . have this set up on y 3 units , it works , quietly , pete  

Very helpful thank you! Please complete this list of items to clean/lubricate.  PTO bearings, mule bearings, deck bearings, and steering.  Anything else? For pulleys like in the mule do I just sort of mush the grease in?  I guess there might be a youtube video?

• Like 1

peter lena

@Dreamcatcher  typically the mule bearings are the same as the deck spindle bearings , use a small putty knife or a slim pocket flat screwdriver for that seal pop, no need to beat them up ,pop right off. pto inner cone needle bearing , thorough wipe out , very slim amount of grease , or it slings to clutch face , the hi temp grease is typically polyurea rated , ant sling . once the bearings  clean , repack to same amount as original , mush in . note , added heim to replace trundle , eliminate sloppy fit . also show added washers  at start of pto lever connection, makes it solid/ smooth , that battery rail is a gold mine of improvement opportunity . ask away , glad to help , pete

Dreamcatcher
29 minutes ago, peter lena said:

, added heim to replace trundle , eliminate sloppy fit .

I apologize, i'm not familiar with what this is.  

peter lena

@Dreamcatcher  open up the lever action picture above , top of battery / pto lever mount start point , go down to second / third pictures , that is a ball swivel HEIM JOINT . much better than the original trundle hook up wich is usually sloppy in its function . just part of the complete elimination of the original intended set up . if you like yours , leave it , no problem pete 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I apologize, i'm not familiar with what this is.  

31 minutes ago, peter lena said:

HEIM JOINT

@Dreamcatcher

Here's a picture of a  heim joint. This is on the 1975 c160 restoration that we're doing right now.

IMG_20221212_182134912.jpg.0651c8569234772f7ead248c3f7df5c3.jpg

While I was poking around for this picture I found one of the transmission oil filter that you need. This one's NOS so the box looks a little bit different.

IMG_20221222_155709250.jpg.040a15daa9b79e38c4a56440648d45b2.jpg

The black Beastie looking thing on the floor is called a DOG. Those are not mandatory for a tractor but sometimes help.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

lynnmor
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

While I was poking around for this picture I found one of the transmission oil filter that you need. This one's NOS so the box looks a little bit different.

IMG_20221222_155709250.jpg.040a15daa9b79e38c4a56440648d45b2.jpg

The black Beastie looking thing on the floor is called a DOG. Those are not mandatory for a tractor but sometimes help.

That black beast and the filter were made in the USA, new 51410 filters are made in China.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

That black beast and the filter were made in the USA, new 51410 filters are made in China.

Exactly why I got NOS. 

Filter.

Not the dog.

Dog is regular stock.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

peter lena

@ebinmaine  did not know you could get a dog in a black color , and a heim joint in a silver color , did not know either existed , live in closet, pete

• Haha 4

Dreamcatcher

Where are the heims purchased?  Yes I'm familiar with Jeep guys building suspension parts with them; my question was more of where are they used on the WH.  Tractor supply?  Admittedly, i've never made anything with them.  Are the rods also sourced from the same place?  Looking at the link for the PTO lever, I also had some additional questions.  Where do I get teflon washers?  The rod and/or the heim have to be modified to work together?

Dreamcatcher

What is the correct battery group? U1?

• Like 1

953 nut
33 minutes ago, Dreamcatcher said:

Where are the heims purchased?  Yes I'm familiar with Jeep guys building suspension parts with them; my question was more of where are they used on the WH.  Tractor supply?  Admittedly, i've never made anything with them.  Are the rods also sourced from the same place?  Looking at the link for the PTO lever, I also had some additional questions.  Where do I get teflon washers?  The rod and/or the heim have to be modified to work together?

You can purchase just about anything hardware related at McMaster-Care.  https://www.mcmaster.com/rod-ends/      https://www.mcmaster.com/washers/

• Excellent 1