TractorEd

‘79 C-161 - Parts?

TractorEd

I know WD stands for Water Displacement, but the back of the can specifies many miraculous uses, including penetrating rusty nuts, bolts and valves.

27F542E3-AF58-4CAA-8F85-D8F4099D6A32.jpeg

I did find a can of Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil on the shelf and I gave that valve the 1st dose of it.

👍🏻

Edited by TractorEd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, TractorEd said:

I know WD stands for Water Displacement, but the back of the can specifies many miraculous uses, including penetrating rusty nuts, bolts and valves.

27F542E3-AF58-4CAA-8F85-D8F4099D6A32.jpeg

I did find a can of Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil on the shelf and I gave that valve the 1st dose of it.

👍🏻

Give a watch at Project Farm YouTube channel about the penetrating oils and you'll see what some of "better" ones do vs what they claim.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, TractorEd said:

@ebinmaine

Here’s a couple pics of that tow valve.

C548A2BC-C54E-460D-B7F9-F924AA7522AE.jpeg
I got a little angry at her, LOL.

Here's the tow valve from my 75 C160 Automatic Restoration project currently underway...

IMG_20230120_192447.jpg.052d0b1e495b830bb2b2c108ec6886f5.jpg

I figure to JB Weld the nut on. 

IMG_20230120_192453.jpg.0908aa1deef5ea9416483292e02c185f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

TractorEd
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Here's the tow valve from my 75 C160 Automatic Restoration project currently underway...

IMG_20230120_192447.jpg.052d0b1e495b830bb2b2c108ec6886f5.jpg

I figure to JB Weld the nut on. 

IMG_20230120_192453.jpg.0908aa1deef5ea9416483292e02c185f.jpg

Nice to see what it looks like and how deep the threads are.

Great idea with that nut!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TractorEd

All I’m able to work on this weekend is reattaching the hood and headlights.

Hood went on easy enough, but then I realized it wouldn’t open very far.  Someone used a bolt in one of the holes in the front hitch plate to keep it from opening all the way.  Had to remove the hood, take that bolt out, then reinstall the hood.

Like Mustie1 says, “we do it right ‘cause we do it twice”!  lol

I put 2 new led’s I got from iSaveTractors in the headlight sockets, hooked up the wires, but they weren’t working.  I had the taillights working just a couple of days ago!

problem was dirty contacts on the light switch.  Took the fuse out and cleaned all the contacts in there too.

Finally

8F084AE2-6498-4479-A839-82F38116DDBA.jpeg
Oh, and that’s a new lens with the sticker on it.  Wish someone made ‘em like the original lenses.

Edited by TractorEd
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, TractorEd said:

problem was dirty contacts on the light switch

Good catch.   

Be sure to install multiple ground wires as well.

When I build a harness I quite often will do an individual ground wire going to every component that's electric. You could see that as overkill but it's saved me a time or two.... 

• Like 4

TractorEd
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Good catch.   

Be sure to install multiple ground wires as well.

When I build a harness I quite often will do an individual ground wire going to every component that's electric. You could see that as overkill but it's saved me a time or two.... 

The wiring certainly needs attention.  I did run a ground straight to the new rectifier.  I’m going to need to do something about the rest of the wiring though as it’s , um, not pretty.  It could always be worse though!

• Like 3

rjg854
6 hours ago, TractorEd said:

Like Mustie1 says, “we do it right ‘cause we do it twice”!  lol

Actually the saying goes......

We do it nice

because

We do it twice 

:laughing-rolling:

• Haha 2

TractorEd

Is this lift lever extension part of a snow blade/blower kit? Or home made?

CD003D81-9C03-4BDC-98D8-18E417B73021.jpeg

60E47E18-3696-4925-A1C9-31401ED082C5.jpeg

That hairpin clip came with it but isn’t currently doing anything.  Must have lost the original handle and used a wooden one that was laying around.

Edited by TractorEd
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Blasterdad
41 minutes ago, TractorEd said:

Is this lift lever extension part of a snow blade/blower kit? Or home made?

I'm pretty sure that is home made, I like it though, I never liked the lift lever location of the C-161, have to reach down to use it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

I'm pretty sure that is home made, I like it though, I never liked the lift lever location of the C-161, have to reach down to use it...

What's the stock one look like?

• Like 1

Blasterdad

3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What's the stock one look like?

IMG_0490.JPG.01473167e3e28e9160bfa6c77c7b4443.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

IMG_0490.JPG.01473167e3e28e9160bfa6c77c7b4443.JPG

Looks like that home shop high grab would be quite the improvement

• Like 2

Blasterdad
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks like that home shop high grab would be quite the improvement

Indeed, :wh: moved it there whe they changed the tower design in '78.

I like the older C-160 design better, the handle was higher & everything out in the open...

• Like 3

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

Indeed, :wh: moved it there whe they changed the tower design in '78.

I like the older C-160 design better, the handle was higher & everything out in the open...

Yeah that's how my 1975 is of course but even then. You put some great big thick gloves on and my ape hands and it still could be a little higher.

May have been @squonk I think that extended one. I like his design.

• Like 2

Blasterdad
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yeah that's how my 1975 is of course but even then. You put some great big thick gloves on and my ape hands and it still could be a little higher.

May have been @squonk I think that extended one. I like his design.

I've thought about doing something similar but, I just have to remind myself "it sure beats the manual lift". :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Ask and ye shall receive! 

handle.jpg.5f7e163b902b51695908e4e469ea4039.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

TractorEd
6 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

IMG_0490.JPG.01473167e3e28e9160bfa6c77c7b4443.JPG@Blasterdad what is 1 (and is that just a 12V cigarette lighter you installed), 2 (extra switch) and 3 ?

EFBBAEC9-66BE-4EA7-A806-09CEBC1B1E7A.jpeg

Edited by TractorEd
  • Like 2

Blasterdad
3 hours ago, TractorEd said:

EFBBAEC9-66BE-4EA7-A806-09CEBC1B1E7A.jpeg

Number 1. Yes, it's a cigarette lighter socket, the older :wh:'s came with one, when they changed the black dash cover they left it out, but the hole for it is still in the dash behind it.

It's for the LED Amber beacon.

IMG_0478.JPG.b5fbc84905c1c0eb8b172034cc71b20a.JPG

Number 2.  This is the L-R switch for the electric chute control on the snowblower.

Once again it's in a factory hole that was for an electric clutch, & is covered up by the newer style dash.

Here is a pic of an older style dash with the holes...

IMG_0206.JPG.6cc958658a581d81cdde115aa3f8984e.JPG 

Number 3. This is a LED license plate light I mounted to an old magnetic Hide-A-Key box wired to the light switch. It lights up the dash & controls perfectly without putting glare on the windows of the cab. All lights are controlled by the dash switch except the beacon.

I don't like drilling holes in my :wh:'s if I can avoid it, that's why I mounted it on a magnet, works great.

IMG_0483.JPG.32a22baeb81d50661e11b739c87a5a98.JPGIMG_0515.JPG.e4842083671fe45a4b455090278a5682.JPGIMG_0514.JPG.164d4c45b499a82be6a696948ab2c8fd.JPGIMG_0516.JPG.297ec67aed1f55d523b9df37107c2e86.JPG

• Excellent 5

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

Number 3. This is a LED license plate light I mounted to an old magnetic Hide-A-Key box wired to the light switch. It lights up the dash & controls perfectly without putting glare on the windows of the cab. All lights are controlled by the dash switch except the beacon

Alright. Alright. 

That's pretty smahhtt!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TractorEd
1 hour ago, Blasterdad said:

Number 1. Yes, it's a cigarette lighter socket

I will have to find a couple of those me thinks.

1 hour ago, Blasterdad said:

Number 3. This is a LED license plate light I mounted to an old magnetic Hide-A-Key box

Genius!  Fantastic even!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TractorEd
3 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

IMG_0516.JPG.297ec67aed1f55d523b9df37107c2e86.JPG

I can see why the snow doesn’t want to fall near you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TractorEd

88F7876E-CBFA-41F7-A420-2EF9F3291DAE.jpeg

This is the wiring for the taillights.  I went with the heat shrink instead of the tie.

Unfortunately, I’ll be redoing the ground wire so I can run it to, maybe the battery.  I like doing things twice!

Edited by TractorEd
  • Haha 2

TractorEd

And here’s where I’m currently at with it.

Fender & seat installed, wiring routed and working.

42297C41-87C0-4658-8CF6-B6F0DF1BA39B.jpeg

Note: That’s a used seat from the C-100 and not an original seat either.  Better pics to come …

Edited by TractorEd
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, TractorEd said:

redoing the ground wire

When you have enough ground wires that the harness is starting to look like black spaghetti it's just about right 👍

• Like 2