Pullstart

Feeling Healthy - Diet, Weight Loss, Fasting

Pullstart

Big shout out to @ebinmaine and BBT, for their support through PM’s not only with knowledge, but just atta’boys!

I have been feeling like crap for about 6 months.  About 4 or 5 months ago, I felt like it’s time to change.  I kept coming up with excuses, or putting off plans to change.  Last week, I was tired of putting it off.  My goal was to do a three day fast.  Three days with no food?  Are you crazy?  Not eating only sucked for the first day.  I’m going to change me.  I have goals.  I want to do stuff without losing my breath.  Namely putting socks or shoes on.  I know flip flops are where it’s at, but it’s winter time.

EB and Trina are awesome people.  I reached out to EB because I know they would have thoughts, resources, and some knowledge on being healthy.  I know food and beer choices are most of what put me here.  Time to get better.

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

Last week Thursday at 8 pm, I finished dinner after Rylee’s wrestling practice.  I didn’t end up eating anything solid until 10 am on Saturday.  Friday was a bear.  My gut hurt and growled, but I still had energy.  It was not horrible, but it wasn’t great.  Saturday, I woke up with the intention to keep going, but Mrs. P asked me to eat something, to work my way into the 3 day goal.  So, I did not succeed at my goal.  I got far, and was able to keep my goal for another time.  This week, I’ll do intermittent fasting.  The body takes about 4 hours to digest and sort out a meal.  Eating every 4-6 hours during the day, it never quits storing and sorting.  I’ll be eating only during a 7 or 8 hour period this week and Sunday morning (Saturday night) I’ll begin my 3 day quest.  

• Like 2

Achto

Good luck with your quest.

I personally could not do it. 8 to 10 hrs without eating something & start feeling really anxious. Followed by a bad case of the shakes. Been checked many times & my blood sugar is always normal. 

• Like 1

tractorchick

I had to lose weight due to being borderline diabetic.  I met with a nutritionalist and cut out sugar and limited my meals to 30 carbs per meal, 15 carbs per snack, and had to have each one 3 times a day. There are lots of things to eat that are low carb and low sugar, you just need to do a little research.  You can still have starch, just keep it at a minimum.  Try to walk a little more than usual, even if it is just around your yard.  I lost 30 pounds in about 9 months.  It takes 21 days to create a habit.  You are going to have days when you mess up, and allow yourself a "cheat" day from time to time.  Beef jerky, cubed cheese, granola, ice tea, low carb tortillas, vegetables, all are good.  Special K cereal with bananas really helped me!  Keep the protein high and the carbs + sugar low.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

@tractorchick   Great advice there.   

@Pullstart Glad to help you out Man.  

As you know Trina's been training for years and years.   

She has a grasp of the human body mechanics that most folks just don't.  

I've been thinking and trying and thinking and trying for several months now about how to get past this ridiculously irritating lack of a diagnosis for my body pain. 

I have some days better than others like anyone but my higher pain days have been far more numerous for a few months.  

I've been struggling mentally (more than normal 😂😂) to get past a barrier.  

I can't move so I don't want to move but I hurt more when I don't move so I need to move but I can't move.  

Repeat...

Repeat...

Repeat...

Ahh well... 

So my local 🥋 BBT has been trying to help.... we been training a bit more. Walking a bit more.  

On the plus side this year we have NO major projects planned.  

We'll finish the Automatic Restoration, work on whatever Trina chooses to do, get a few other things done....

And camp and hike. 

And camp and hike. 

And camp and hike. 

On the fasting, I've been doing a few here n there the last few weeks. 

I was able to pull off (2) 16 fasts/8 hour eating days.  

Physically and mentally I felt great but I couldn't keep it going for more than a couple. 

Last night to this morning was about 14...

Tonight I'll try for 12 or 14 again. 

We'll try again this week a time or two.  

• Excellent 2

wallfish

Get a 70-80 hr 7 day a week stressful job! That will get you there quick! I lost 30 lbs in 8-9 weeks without even trying. Plus it paid to loose it. LoL

Your social life will get pretty lean too!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Get a 70-80 hr 7 day a week stressful job! That will get you there quick! I lost 30 lbs in 8-9 weeks without even trying. Plus it paid to loose it. LoL

Interesting thing there...

I understand the logic of what you're saying because that's what Trina and a lot of other folks would do. Lose weight.  

NOT me. 

When I'm stressed or tired I grab a snack... And calories... And store them.  

• Like 1

stevebo

Kevin,

I decided to make a change and lose weight. I started just before the new year on a program called Awaken180. I thought it would be harder than it is. Down from 204 to 192 so far. My goal is 175. Have not seen that number in years!! 
Keep the push going. This year at the big show we will forgo beers and just drink clear alcohol at dinner😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
19 minutes ago, wallfish said:

I don’t want to just lose weight, I want my heart healthy too.  No thanks on that one!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rob J.

I had trouble keeping weight on. Getting hurt at work solved my problem. Your health depends a lot on your mental state. I always tried to be a tough guy and tell myself that was BS. Thankfully with age comes wisdom. I’ll be looking to do something different in the future going forward myself, a job ain’t worth all that. 

But by just really limiting your sugar and carb intake and exercise you can achieve desired weight. It can be rather boring at times but remember it’s all in your head. Well most of it even if your belly says otherwise. Good luck!

• Like 3

squonk
42 minutes ago, stevebo said:

Kevin,

I decided to make a change and lose weight. I started just before the new year on a program called Awaken180. I thought it would be harder than it is. Down from 204 to 192 so far. My goal is 175. Have not seen that number in years!! 
Keep the push going. This year at the big show we will forgo beers and just drink clear alcohol at dinner😂

204 I wish! After my heart attack I went thru cardiac rehab got down to 215 and stopped. No matter what I did nothing changed after that. 

Fasting is not really good either. Your metabolism slows down and it isn't good for the digestive system to get empty all the time,

• Like 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, squonk said:

Fasting is not really good either. Your metabolism slows down and it isn't good for the digestive system to get empty all the time,

I have to respectfully sideways not necessarily agree.... To a point... 

It definitely depends on the person and their medical health or pre-existing conditions.  

IIFF. That's a BIG IIFF....

One is healthy and in good shape overall,  fasting can and does slow your metabolism -  For a day or two at maximum.  

Then it can actually speed up your systems because the human body in it's ancient form did NOT get 3 meals a day.  We got food when we got food like any other herbivore.   

Some days all day long.  

Some days (or more) none at all.  

We needed the sped up increased energy us to go get more food.  

It's a built in part of our survival mode.  

As "modern" humans we only got to 3 regulated food intake times because the industrial revolution a few hundred years ago forced the masses into it.  

Even today, independent scheduled folk that don't follow a forced schedule such as that believe falsely that we need to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

Longest living group of people in the world, across ethnic and national borders, are nuns. Routine fasting, minimal healthy diet, long hours of silent meditation, rather sedate lifestyle... might be on to something... :eusa-think:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk

One reason I went back to work 2 days a week 6 hours a day. No stress. I give advice on a course of action and the higher ups decide. I can come and go as I want and just leave if I don't like what's going on. Plus I get to walk around a lot and get paid for it :)

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

The no stress thing is a HUGE issue. 

The job I have, with the employer I have, is without equal the best I've ever had.  

My personal life is absolutely wonderful.  

My other half, the friends we choose, the things we go and do, even the family we choose to be around... Note that last one.  Yes! You can choose who you want to be around.  

We create our own level of stress.  

To be as low stress as I am today took work, planning, patience, careful choices.  

And years...... 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Get a 70-80 hr 7 day a week stressful job!

Yep, I had one .....for 45 years.       Average weight is 175 with a winter peak of 195 right after the holidays.       Just have to keep chokin down the aspirin, simvistatin, and lisinipril to keep the pump working and the pipes open.     Oh, and keep a pocket full of nitro just in case the pump needs a jump start when I'm up in a tree.

• Like 4

Rob J.
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I have to respectfully sideways not necessarily agree.... To a point... 

It definitely depends on the person and their medical health or pre-existing conditions.  

IIFF. That's a BIG IIFF....

One is healthy and in good shape overall,  fasting can and does slow your metabolism -  For a day or two at maximum.  

Then it can actually speed up your systems because the human body in it's ancient form did NOT get 3 meals a day.  We got food when we got food like any other herbivore.   

Some days all day long.  

Some days (or more) none at all.  

We needed the sped up increased energy us to go get more food.  

It's a built in part of our survival mode.  

As "modern" humans we only got to 3 regulated food intake times because the industrial revolution a few hundred years ago forced the masses into it.  

Even today, independent scheduled folk that don't follow a forced schedule such as that believe falsely that we need to do it. 

Humans were grazers most of the time and gluttons when the rare opportunity arose. Humans for the most part have moved so far away from that. I’m thinking if we make it another 20,000 years living this way our bodies will adjust accordingly.?.?😉

• Like 1

ri702bill
33 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Longest living group of people in the world, across ethnic and national borders, are nuns

Ah, but are they allowed to own and work on Red Tractors??? Me thinks not....

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
Just now, ri702bill said:

Ah, but are they allowed to own and work on Red Tractors??? Me thinks not....

No???

I'M OOUUTTT!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Pullstart  Have you given any thought to having a complete physical? I am in agreement. with @squonk fasting may not be the answer. I know you are a grease monkey it could be something to do with the chemicals you are around on a weekly basis. It also could be the type of food you eat. Just my ole man :twocents-02cents:. Go have a complete physical.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

WHX??
3 hours ago, Achto said:

Good luck with your quest.

I personally could not do it. 8 to 10 hrs without eating something & start feeling really anxious. 'Sides I am a finely tuned turd engineer and need to eat the crap we make at shows just to be sure septic systems keep working... :lol:

Not to far off with those words tho. I guage my health by bowel movements which are so regular you could set an atomic clock by.

6 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I want to do stuff without losing my breath

Thats a red flag right ther and should have nothing to do with your diet. Normal for me but I gag two packs a day and I am 63. 

Have you consulated a professional or your doctor? Not that  I don't trust EB & BBT, probably trust them more than a doc, but still. You might have other underlying issues.

One thing I can say fer sure is not eating for 90 days is not good.  

You need to get over here for some good eats and some fungus & onions... :beer:

Stay well bro... :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

have a complete physical.

I agree with that for may reasons.  

EVERYONE should have an annual check.   

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

Have you consulated a professional or your doctor? Not that  I don't trust EB & BBT, probably trust them more than a doc, but still. You might have other underlying issues

I'll add to that a little.  

Trina and I were blabbing about this post a bit ago. 

I have now and have had the same thing over the years.  

So has SHE!!!

The little athletic her.   

When it happens to her it's been directly related to her cholesterol levels.  

High totals run in her pack.  

Another contributing factor I know is a concern/cause/issue when I have those spells is my wickedly poor posture.  

I've been to physical therapy to help it.  May have to go back and readdress.  

• Like 1

WHX??
29 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Go have a complete physical.

:text-yeahthat:blood work, colonoscopy... the whole nine yards. That's if you have or can find a decent family doc that just don't wanna shove pills in ya. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don

Man, this is one fraught topic right up there with the best “red” paint, and best way to pull a hub!

Don’t mind me, I’m gonna be sitting right over here on the sidelines soaking it all in.

And best of luck to ALL of you with your goals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4