D_Mac

Hubley Metal Model Kits

D_Mac

So I got these from a friend of mine. I was planning on giving them to my nephews 11th birthday in 2 weeks. Now I'm not sure. I kinda want to build them myself or ......... keep them as is in the box !! I think they are from 1970 ish. When I was younger I did many plastic model kits, balsa wood kits, and rocket kits but never a metal kit. Any of you boys have any knowledge of these ???

20230122_172737.jpg

20230122_172813.jpg

20230122_172834.jpg

20230122_172801.jpg

20230122_172755.jpg

20230122_172749.jpg

• Heart 4

ri702bill

Yes! Hubley made ADVANCRD model kits - you had to hand fit & file the parts to fit, as cast. Excellent when done...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

I was planning on giving them to my nephews 11th birthday in 2 weeks. Now I'm not sure.

:text-coolphotos:         I know you love quality antiques and will have a lot of fun building these with your nephew.           :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daddy Don

Neat never seen  them and I am  74yrs old. 

Did a lot of plastic when I was young  Thanks for the information.

Edited by Daddy Don
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor

Some Hubley products are becoming valuable collectibles, I would start the kids off with some junky Chinese kits to see if they have an interest in doing quality work.  Kind of like starting them out driving a clunker before a nice Corvette.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
54 minutes ago, Daddy Don said:

Did a lot of plastic when I was young 

:text-yeahthat:            So did I,  just wanted to inhale the glue!         :ychain:

• Haha 2

D_Mac

Yes these you have to file some of the metal. The kits come with a small file and a screw driver. I looked some up and yes they are bringing some good money as compete kits not so much when assembled. I know he would love trying to do one. He is a master at Legos and his father's family own a HUGE automobile salvage business in our area. Instead of giving them all to him maybe start with just one. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

Yup.  I built a couple of Hublies in the early '70s.  I would not call them kits for beginners.  The model A kits will go together easier than the Packards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I’ve never seen one before.  Pretty cool stuff!

Racinbob

Brings back fond memories. I built a few of those along with a lot of plastic kits. I still dabble with the plastic but Hubley faded away in the mid 70's. :)

D_Mac

So I decided to put one together before I give then to my nephew.  Took me pretty much all day yesterday. Seemed a little complicated and instructions aren't the greatest.  He is only 11 so we will see how he makes out.

20230304_120247.jpg

20230304_120330.jpg

20230304_120426.jpg

20230304_120539.jpg

20230304_120723.jpg

Edited by D_Mac