Ed Kennell

New Neighbors

sergeant
10 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Amish construction crew?  That Sky Lift has rubber tires on it.  Might be a sub contractor.

It depends On there Bishop or Minister as to what technology they Can use 1448411861_Screenshot2023-02-03at07-47-23Amish-Wikipedia.png.da27f2b39a1e27110a1e36ae421af4a6.png

Look at the Kalona Amish of Iowa, they're very close to The Mennonites. Some Of My cousin neighbors Near Bloomfield, Iowa (cousin has a 160 acres outside of town which is Mostly woods) Hunting Farm his Neighbors On either side of that farm our Kalona, and they Own 18 Wheeler's. They hire someone to drive it for them. Their Farms are as Modern as everyone else's around the area, Including the satellite dishes :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Edited by sergeant
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell
13 minutes ago, sergeant said:

Their Farms are as Modern as everyone else's around the area, Including the satellite dishes

No satellite dishes in my area.     The only connection to the English Grid is the telephone and it must be a land line located several hundred yards from the house.

They do use propane for lighting and gasoline to fuel their compressors,  generators  and engines on their equipment.

The equipment must be pulled by horses.   No tractors or self propelled equipment.

They have many farms and businesses that specialize in a specific product.   Then use each others skills and products as needed, i.e.  legal, township permitting, equipment, hay farms, grain farms, produce farms, flower farms, beef farms, dairy farms, eggs etc.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
11 hours ago, Zeek said:

Amish country in PA is one thing I'm grateful

Same here Zeek.     I am so grateful they have the means to buy and preserve these remaining farm lands.   I really enjoy the view from my back porch.

104_0838.JPG.693aef197f45aa3225124e16e121a331.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm not aware of any Amish farms close to the Big Show, but the round barn just West of the show is worth a visit.   

It was a dairy barn with a central silo with some interesting design and construction history.

It is now operating as a fruit, veggie, craft sales.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=d31856d673bc067dJmltdHM9MTY3NTM4MjQwMCZpZ3VpZD0yYjllYWVkMC1iZmZhLTY5N2MtMDE5Yy1iYzdiYmU0ZDY4ZmImaW5zaWQ9NTQ2MA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=2b9eaed0-bffa-697c-019c-bc7bbe4d68fb&psq=the+round+barn&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9yb3VuZGJhcm4uZmFybS8&ntb=1

Libby and me ( I sat in the truck) did stop in there leaving The Big Show last year…

she bought jellies…

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

sergeant
48 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

No satellite dishes in my area.     The only connection to the English Grid is the telephone and it must be a land line located several hundred yards from the house.

They do use propane for lighting and gasoline to fuel their compressors,  generators  and engines on their equipment.

The equipment must be pulled by horses.   No tractors or self propelled equipment.

They have many farms and businesses that specialize in a specific product.   Then use each others skills and products as needed, i.e.  legal, township permitting, equipment, hay farms, grain farms, produce farms, flower farms, beef farms, dairy farms, eggs etc.

Finger Lakes region Amish Made Furniture Can't remember the Business exact Location   But there using Power tools to Build the Furniture. There is a RV company In Indiana which is Amish Owned  I think there Elkhart-LaGrange Amish But Might be Nappanee

But it all Up to There Ministers/Bishops what they can use technology wise . I actually served In the Military with some EX-Amish   They left because  they wanted and education beyond 8th Grade. One Guy I knew Back In the Military is now a Design engineer for AGCO  Most of His siblings Left the Amish way of Life as well  a Few still Farm In the same area Of Ohio they Grew Up In But they wanted to be Part of the Modern world  as they were Part of the Old Order Amish That was Very restrictive On technology  As he Put it to Me He wanted to Not Freeze His rear end off to go to the Bathroom is why He Left :D

• Like 3

8ntruck

Kalona, Iowa.  I've got realitives there.  My uncle was the craftsman that restored one of the staircases in the old Iowa capitol building.

• Like 1

lynnmor

Now we know why they built the high roof, apparently there will be a nuclear power plant with all those cooling towers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Ed Kennell

I still hope it's a cheese factory, but it's starting to look like a tobacco drying barn.

• Like 1

lynnmor
18 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I still hope it's a cheese factory, but it's starting to look like a tobacco drying barn.

I would think that moving that much air thru a food processing facility would need a lot of filters, tobacco users don’t matter so much.

• Like 2

953 nut
14 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

:confusion-confused:     Don't Tabaco drying barns have lots of slats for siding to allow air to flow through?   Top floor may be for aging the cheese.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell
25 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:     Don't Tabaco drying barns have lots of slats for siding to allow air to flow through?   Top floor may be for aging the cheese.

Yes, tobacco barns are open to create air flow.          As steep as this land is, I think it will be pasture for  cattle or goats  and this will be a cheese barn.

Image result for tobacco barn pics          Our Lady of the Angels Monastery | The Cheese-making Process 

• Like 4

953 nut
On 2/10/2023 at 8:59 AM, Ed Kennell said:

As steep as this land is, I think it will be pasture for  cattle or goats  and this will be a cheese barn.

Goat milk products are all the rage right now. Goat cheese is also very popular, love the Gouda though the price is a bit high, well worth it.

One side benefit for you is goat poop isn't near as objectional as cow patties.            :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 4

rmaynard
On 2/2/2023 at 10:27 PM, Horse Newbie said:

Are there any Amish in the area of The Big Show ?

When I was up last year, I noticed the beautiful countryside, farms, and large barns…

Yes. On route 97 going south between Gettysburg and Littlestown is an Amish farm. In the summer they have a roadside stand and sell produce. One of the boys has a bicycle with a cart that he uses to bring the produce up to the road. I frequently drive that road and quite often encounter Amish buggies. It's not like the area where Ed lives, but the Gettysburg area does have Amish.

• Like 5

rmaynard
On 2/9/2023 at 5:22 PM, Ed Kennell said:

My daughter works for a vet here in Westminster. She said she hopes it's not a puppy mill. I did not know that the Amish treat dogs as livestock. Her office gets a lot of badly treated dogs that claim to have been rescued from Amish farms. :(

• Sad 4

squonk
On 2/3/2023 at 10:41 AM, sergeant said:

Finger Lakes region Amish Made Furniture Can't remember the Business exact Location   But there using Power tools to Build the Furniture.

They are all over where I live. Boys grow up and decide I want a business and BOOM another furniture place. Same thing with small engine shops. There are 5 or 6 in the Penn Yan area all along the same road within a couple of miles from each other. 

There is an Amish guy down the road from me with an engine shop and farm store. his store has more stuff in it than any Tractor Supply. His wife runs the counter and knows more than most of the customers. It cracks me up when I go there. Store is dark and there is a bunch of Dewalt battery operated lanterns hanging from the ceiling for lights. They have a phone but they don't answer it. They have an answering service take the messages and they call back when "they get around to it. " :rolleyes: Guy is a great welder. He welded a small block Kohler for me. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

.  I did not know that the Amish treat dogs as livestock. 

Yes they do Bob.   Thier horses are equipment and the animals they raise are products to be sold.      The puppy mills are a common problem.        When my neighbor built a new small barn, I asked him if it was a chicken coop.  His answer was no, it is for raising guinea  pigs.    I asked him, for the fur or for meat?    He had a surprised look and answered no, for pets!       Some may be sold as pets, but I'm guessing many are destined for medical research.

• Sad 3

lynnmor

My daughter rescued an Amish owned Belgian horse that was destined for the glue factory.  It had deep holes in shoulders from ill fitting harness and serious infections in the body and hooves.  It was hundreds of pounds under weight and a sorry sight.  She spent a considerable amount of time and money and nursed it back to health.  That gentle giant was doing well when all of a sudden it dropped dead from organ failure after she had it two years. 

Animals are to be used and multiplied, the best part is that the IRS has no way of counting the production.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Update on the new Amish tobacco grower.    Looks like he may also be raising buggy horses.    When he bought this 65 acres for over a Million, I wondered, as over half of it is too steep to work horses.    I see that will be horse pasture.

104_1917.JPG.dce40dc8872cd66a73f2603c9a8ba84c.JPG

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

Up date on the new neighbor.      Barn, greenhouse and home nearly finished.      Tobacco and corn liking the recent rains.

104_2154.JPG.67451f538b1078d6b83b824519d8ddf3.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell

One year later the first crop is harvested.     The barn and greenhouse are hanging full of drying tobacco.      Amazing.     Sorry for the rainy day pics.

104_2388.JPG.4928647804d31c3f1b3dd0cdc0e4dc27.JPG

I like the dual use of the greenhouse....grow plants during the winter and spring and dry the crop in the fall.

104_2387.JPG.03f68af128affceb76e13004a37b63e1.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
On 2/3/2023 at 10:37 AM, Horse Newbie said:

Libby and me

Say “Hi” to Libby for us Tim, will ya?  I’ll say “hey” to you too!  :lol:

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
59 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Say “Hi” to Libby for us Tim, will ya?  I’ll say “hey” to you too!  :lol:

Will do… as soon as I make it home to little bride…

and “Top of the Day to you Sir.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1