OutdoorEnvy

Grandpa's old bench vise

formariz

Probably more than most, I spend my life surrounded by,and using everyday such objects . It’s kind of hard to explain my exact feelings but they make me feel like I belong to them not the other way around. Rare is the item here that does not have a story or a face associated it. Even the ones created by me can be traced as to their origins by just looking around. Many times I ask myself why I deserve all of this. While I still don’t know the answer to that question, I have an do commit my life to honor them and their previous owners and ensure that they all will be passed on to the ones after me to share that commitment and keep it all alive and thriving.

Perhaps the best description of my feelings about all of it are summarized when the other day someone made a comment while looking at the yoke just completed. They said that I probably have an insane amount of time and work on it, and why would I do it? My answer was that I would not characterize it that way but rather that I have an insane amount of meditation, reflection, remembrance, peace , and inspiration while at it. Work, it was not. I don’t believe it was fully comprehended.

64476BEF-2379-4B3A-BBB6-BDC4E1F8579E.jpeg.bb86fc27061b754a80b86577ea6fdae7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 6

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

I don’t believe it was fully comprehended.

And the commenter is the lesser for it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

davem1111

Loving the comments here - trying to "downsize" before a move, still a bit in the future, but there are some things that I will drag along with me no matter what.  If my wife lives longer than me, she can give them away if she wants, hopefully to family or someone who will appreciate their sentimental value to some extent at least.

This is my Dad's bench vise, which I'm pretty sure was his Dad's, but might have belonged to my mother's grandpa:

IMG_0097.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Jeff-C175

The Treasurer and I live in the home she grew up in, that her Father built way back in the last century.

When I'm working out in the shop late at night when all is quiet I hear him moving around.  I feel him watching.  I've even caught a glimpse or two...

I have lots of his tools, and his Father's too.  Cas has some of them too!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 3

oldlineman

:text-yeahthat:That is something that no amount of money can buy. My dad was also very loving, I being oldest boy of six kids, I think I had the best opportunity to work (help) him with home repairs, car repairs and ode's an ends. These are the very things that in our lives can never be taken away. I pray that we all may learn these life lessons while we have the opportunity too. Bob  

• Heart 6

John2189

I have my dads old machine vise. I always assumed that it was a sears craftsman vise, but it has no name, just a number stamped on it. Of course I didn’t get a picture of it. I will get pictures tomorrow.  Its a good heavy built vise. 
john

• Heart 2

c-series don

@OutdoorEnvy A friend of mine has this vise laying around in his shop. I saw it and thought it was the same one you have. Not the exact same, but close!! 

F63A3B6A-D865-4B3D-9A0D-0491B44B4D52.jpeg

7AAB427B-C8E6-4AEA-9FF3-1D48C395EA38.jpeg

• Excellent 4

OutdoorEnvy

@c-series don  very close indeed!  I had never heard of Columbian until getting that one.  Tell your friend to put it to work!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Wayne0

I'm 68 years young. This was my Grand Dads vice.

Vice.JPG

• Excellent 4
  • Heart 2

Wayne0

My Dad had a big ass vice that had no name on it. That puppy weighed in at over 30Lbs! It was old when he got it! My nephew has it now.

Wilton's are a great vice, but I can't complain about the old Columbians.

• Like 1

John2189
On 1/29/2023 at 6:29 PM, John2189 said:

I have my dads old machine vise. I always assumed that it was a sears craftsman vise, but it has no name, just a number stamped on it. Of course I didn’t get a picture of it. I will get pictures tomorrow.  Its a good heavy built vise. 
john

Here is my dads vise. No name just the numbers 5168 or 3 stamped in it. Looks like it was painted blue. Has to be 60 plus years old. 

BBD7A4D5-5CE2-4E2A-B3F8-1F4C36E2D647.jpeg

86377977-28BE-4524-A09A-C22375B0FA15.jpeg

4F8D32A6-0CAE-46D0-9D04-F023625484AB.jpeg

7DA0F7CB-AD5B-4F43-B176-A93AAA2E3E3B.jpeg

BCF5FF7D-A5C0-4584-B389-1E0516011FD4.jpeg

Edited by John2189
  • Excellent 2

John2189
20 hours ago, John2189 said:

Here is my dads vise. No name just the numbers 5168 or 3 stamped in it. Looks like it was painted blue. Has to be 60 plus years old. 

BBD7A4D5-5CE2-4E2A-B3F8-1F4C36E2D647.jpeg

86377977-28BE-4524-A09A-C22375B0FA15.jpeg

4F8D32A6-0CAE-46D0-9D04-F023625484AB.jpeg

7DA0F7CB-AD5B-4F43-B176-A93AAA2E3E3B.jpeg

BCF5FF7D-A5C0-4584-B389-1E0516011FD4.jpeg

Ok founed out on another site that this is a Craftsman vise made in October 44. Since it was made in the wartime, the didn’t cast the name on them. Don’t know why. 
john

• Like 1