Walleye Guy

Need 753 Fuel Pump Help

Lane Ranger

Picture of Kohler metal fuel pump with primer arm!

6867ED22-53FC-488F-A893-B768DC65CBDF.jpeg

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

J854D

@Walleye Guy, Years ago I had a 753 with a Kohler K161S with the same Spec number as yours. (I still have the engine) It has the pulse/vacuum style fuel pump on it. My 854 with a Kohler K181S has the same pulse fuel pump on it also. -JD-

• Like 2

Walleye Guy

Ed, I'll watch that video this weekend with my dad.  Does anyone have the P/N for the mechanical pump with the offset arm?  I'll report back next week what transpired over the weekend.  Thank-you again to everyone.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

https://www.amazon.com/Carkio-Replacement-4155905-S-41-559-01-S-C-230361-S/dp/B087TSRJ82/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1MU8TX8WIA4Q4&keywords=fuel+pump+for+kohler+K141&qid=1673647972&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=fuel+pump+for+kohler+k141%2Clawngarden%2C94&sr=1-6

Check out this pump.   It may be the one you need if you can't get a pulse pump to work.      You can also go with an electric pump.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

953 nut

The fuel line from the tank connects to the left side of the fuel pump on the 753 as you look at the pump from the front. This is opposite of the ten HP and up engines so I would suggest you check it out. The pump has two check valves inside to allow fuel to be pumped from the outlet but prevent it from being pumped back out of the inlet. If you apply a small amount of low pressure air (2 to 5 PSI) to the inlet it should pass through the pump but if applied to the outlet it shouldn't go anywhere.    :angry-soapbox:  some sellers on eBay and Amazon sell the same pump with a bunch of part numbers because they look like the correct pump. If the direction of flow isn't correct you need to compensate for that.

Walleye Guy

Good news guys.  We ran through the checklist and everything seemed to be installed correctly and there was no obstruction to get fuel to flow from the tank to the pump.  Before we tried to pressurize the tank to force fuel into the pump, we removed the oil fill plug as Ed K described to feel for a pulse when cranking the engine over.  There was a strong pulse but dad, when he turned the wrench to loosen the plug, realized that the plug was just finger tight.  After he tightened it then the pump started pumping.  So, now it starts but runs rough.  We could keep it sputtering by turning the choke on and off so the next step is to examine the carb.  A few years ago the carb was rebuilt (this was the first time it has ran since except for a little starting fluid when recently trying to diagnose the fuel pump) but maybe something got missed.  One more thing: earlier I said that the original pump is probably gone but that was not correct.  This weekend I learned that dad does have the original pump and it is a vacuum pump.  

• Like 3

Blasterdad
1 hour ago, Walleye Guy said:

except for a little starting fluid

Good to hear you got it sorted out !

It sounds like a  good carb cleaning should get it running now...

BTW, starting fluid is NEVER a good idea in our little engines, especially with that new vacuum pump.

It's like putting an M-80 on top of your piston, BAD things can happen...:scared-eek:

Just use a little gas in a squirt bottle, I put 2 stroke mixed gas in mine, gives the cylinder a little help on startup. :thumbs:

IMG_0141.JPG.82effe91171cbbbf4ff1dc05faa704f9.JPG

• Like 2

953 nut
4 hours ago, Walleye Guy said:

We could keep it sputtering by turning the choke on and off so the next step is to examine the carb.

Also run a dollar bill between the ignition points to clean them.

• Like 1

Walleye Guy

Blasterdad, thanks for the tip on spraying mixed gas from a spray bottle.  We'll start doing that.  

953 Nut, good suggestion on cleaning the points.  Can that be done without removing the flywheel?

Getting back to the other responses, where is the breather located on that engine and how does one check its operation and also clean it?

Thank-you again!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

The points are not on the flywheel,   follow the wire from the negative coil post to the points cover at the lower left as you face the front of the engine.

The breather is just below the carb. which you will need to remove to access the breather. 

You must remove and disassemble the breather to wash all the parts.    Please take pictures as you remove the breather.  The parts must be reassembled exactly and are easy to get mixed up.   

• Like 1

oliver2-44
On 1/16/2023 at 1:52 PM, Walleye Guy said:

So, now it starts but runs rough.  We could keep it sputtering by turning the choke on and off so the next step is to examine the carb.  A few years ago the carb was rebuilt (this was the first time it has ran since except for a little starting fluid when recently trying to diagnose the fuel pump) but maybe something got missed

I noticed from your previous thread that you had the tractor running with the rebuilt carb last February. Sadly in a year ethanol gas can foul a carb it it was not run dry. 
Carefully drop the carb fuel brown and se it it is clean or has gooey gas or dried ethanol crystals that look like sand. You may be able to clean the bowl and remove the carb needles and spray carb cleaner down through them. Also look at the long needle closely and you will see some holes cross wise through it. Clean those out with spray carb cleaner too. If you have ethanol free gas available in your area your wheel horse will appreciate you using it.   

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

Walleye Guy

Update: my dad took apart the carb and said it looked fine (ie no varnish or gunk) so he reassembled it.

Ed, I sent the points info from you to my dad and he's digging into it.  Hopefully that will help it run much better than the current sputtering.  I wonder how many sets of points he's changed in his life.  Probably hundreds.

Jim, I agree 100% on ethanol free fuel.  I run it in all my small equipment but my Dad can't find it in his area so I need to help him locate a station with it so he can reap the benefits.  He's religious about draining the bowls and running things dry at the end of the season, though, so that helps immensely.  After the carb was rebuilt, the Wheel Horse never had fuel in the bowl until a couple months ago when he was trying to get it started.  

I'll send an update on the points whenever I get one. 

Thank-you all again for all the help and advice, I really appreciate all of you.

• Like 3