gt14rider

10 pinnon lsd body core cracked

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Hydros don't matter here and are off topic.  :banana-explosion:

On the other hand, a 10 pinion holder pieve from a hydro is probably the same as the manual trans as far as part number.  :eusa-think:

Love that dancing bananananana.   

You know you're awesome Steve...

But this thread has a Hydro transmission breakdown in the first post.  

stevasaurus

Thanks Eric...I completely missed the hydro thingy.  :notworthy:  :angry-screaming:  :USA:  

Well, forget everything I said.  Sorry.

• Haha 1

pfrederi

I think the 73 probably had the 2 piece gear  (also looks like that in the parts picture up there) Charger electro and older had 1 piece...but 1973 GT-14 also had 1 piece.  you always wonder if WH may have snuck a few old 1 pieces in to use them up...

Edited by pfrederi
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

gt14rider

Thanks richie for looking. 

• Thanks 1

gt14rider

The body core is the same on gt14, pn# 7200.  Little history on the tractor, got it on the cheap, it would roll a couple of feet and stop,( not running ) push back sum and would roll a few feet stop, when I pulled it apart found a small shop rag all ripped up in transmission. Someone was in there before, changed out bolts and lock nuts. Rebuilt the piston to piston pump.

Will try and get parts to fix this on 

20220813_152154.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Might not be a bad idea to check with @76c12091520h.  

gt14rider

I left a post on his used inventory page. Is there a better way to get in touch with him?

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, gt14rider said:

I left a post on his used inventory page. Is there a better way to get in touch with him?

I think that would work.   

Perhaps he has a phone contact somewhere too? 

WHX??
43 minutes ago, gt14rider said:

better way to get in touch with him?

Try PM he always gets back to me right away. 

Thanks for the edumacation @ri702bill I had never heard of it before. 

That's Purdy Rider... 

Edited by WHX??

ri702bill

Yeah, Jim, had the pleasure to work WITH a fine Senior Product Design Engineer that taught me a bunch about the do's and don'ts of PM as a choice for components. He designed the working product, my group got to put it together - both prototype and production - it was a group effort without the loud egos in the way.....

I had to capitalize "WITH" - there were a handful of his colleagues you had to WORK AROUND to get the desired results. Those folks did not play well with others.......

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Yeah, Jim, had the pleasure to work WITH a fine Senior Product Design Engineer that taught me a bunch about the do's and don'ts of PM as a choice for components. He designed the working product, my group got to put it together - both prototype and production - it was a group effort without the loud egos in the way.....

I had to capitalize "WITH" - there were a handful of his colleagues you had to WORK AROUND to get the desired results. Those folks did not play well with others.......

HUGE difference in the amount learned.  

Handy Don
12 hours ago, rokon said:

So breaking the mixture down into small bits and forcing the bits together with heat and pressure makes for uniformity and strength. Lessons there.

lynnmor

I wonder if the crack could be caused by the bolts being too loose.  In order to crack, it appears that the part must be spread by shifting under the bolt head a bit.  The bolts wouldn't need to be very loose, just enough to allow a small amount of movement under the considerable torque present there.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I wonder if the crack could be caused by the bolts being too loose.  In order to crack, it appears that the part must be spread by shifting under the bolt head a bit.  The bolts wouldn't need to be very loose, just enough to allow a small amount of movement under the considerable torque present there.

I can see the logic in that.

I don't almost go so far as to say that the bolts and locking nuts for those in any Wheel Horse transmission should be single use only.  

• Like 1

gt14rider

Found this from @daveoman1966

So what do you think of using locktite 680 retaining compound on the crack, the body core is in side bull gear, new bolts and lock nut

Screenshot_20230114-083812_Chrome.jpg

20230114_084617.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

So basically that's a "super glue" to hold the crack together?

Seems like it would work as long as the crack itself doesn't impede the movement of that differential pinion gear.  

lynnmor
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

So basically that's a "super glue" to hold the crack together?

Not a chance that the loctite 680 would be of any value in this case.  It is for bonding cylindrical parts that were well fitted.

• Like 3

gt14rider

So is there a locktite product, or equivalent compound that might work?

lynnmor
20 minutes ago, gt14rider said:

So is there a locktite product, or equivalent compound that might work?

No.

Save the Loctite case to carry the part to recycling.

76c12091520h

20230114_172440[1].jpg

20230114_172412[1].jpg

20220918_135234[1].jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

JimSraj

The body in the diff of the 6 speed from my 1267 did the same thing. Pinions showed a considerable amount of wear and the circular spring that holds them in has grooves worn into it. Got another six speed that I had hoped to just swap into the tractor but that trans needs help too so hoping to make one good one from the two with minimal ordered parts. I’m just getting back to that project. 
Need to revisit stevesaurus video first though.

• Like 1

jeremi3210

Almost every 10 pinion I've ever had apart was cracked like that one. I replace them with 8 pinions.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, jeremi3210 said:

Almost every 10 pinion I've ever had apart was cracked like that one. I replace them with 8 pinions.

I can certainly understand the thought process of using an 8 pinion given that they're so much more rugged.  

Of Trina's 60s Herd there'll be 3 with these 10 pinion Limited Slip Differentials. 

She's not a large person like me 🐻 and she also doesn't run as much tractor weight as I do and she's very careful about abusing machinery... so I'll likely leave them all as is with little concern for breakage. 

She needs all the help available to her for traction.  

I thought about putting an LSD in my C160 Automatic but decided to stay with the more robust 8 pinion even though it's an open diff.  

That tractor will be VERY heavy for a Wheelhorse.  

Any thoughts on ways to increase traction from an 8 speed or have you always just added more weight to the tractor like I've been?

Lee1977
On 1/14/2023 at 8:50 AM, gt14rider said:

Found this from @daveoman1966

So what do you think of using locktite 680 retaining compound on the crack, the body core is in side bull gear, new bolts and lock nut

Screenshot_20230114-083812_Chrome.jpg

20230114_084617.jpg

Basically. just a bad design a little wear and loose pinions most likely caused the crack.  They did away with the center piece held the pinions in the end plates with 4 bolts holding the 8 pinion together

• Like 1