Achto

953 Rehabilitation

953 nut

I think the complete tie rod and drag link would be the best bet.  :twocents-02cents:      For $ 75.00 you get four ends that would cost $ 80.00 separately  and nice new rods ready to paint.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/2711-tie-rod-toro-wheel-horse-953-1054/

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/2771-drag-link-toro-wheel-953/

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

jeremi3210

Nice job on the ross box! Can't wait to see the tractor all finished! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Achto

This weekend's agenda was the transmission. As I stated earlier the tranny that I got with this tractor had damage to the hitch pin mounting hole on the right hand tranny case.

IMG_20221231_151353203.jpg.9b62a5195b0caee022b3a8dd7962a11d.jpg

Started out with 2 tranny's with the hope of making one today. First thing make a couple piles of parts.

IMG_20230212_092057766.jpg

Both tranny's were from a 953 tractor but I noticed some differences. First, one had longer key ways cut into the axle.

IMG_20230212_092139857.jpg

The one with longer keyways also had a woodruff key way cut into the opposite side of the axle. Why 2 key ways.:confusion-confused:

IMG_20230212_092200051.jpg

One differential had castle nuts that were wired together, the other one had lock nuts on the diff.

IMG_20230212_092220828.jpg

Here is one that really threw me. One tranny had bearings for the out board portion of the axle.

IMG_20230212_092250101.jpg

The other had bushings.:confusion-confused:

IMG_20230212_092303551.jpg

Had a talk with Lowell about the bearing / bushing thing. He suggested that some one may have use a regular 3 speed case that would have had 1" axles. To get the 1 1/8" axles to work they must have installed bushings. Relocated upper mounting holes for the tranny to F plate kind of confirms this theory.

Of course there are some parts to sort through. Like this great looking cluster gear for instance.:D

IMG_20230212_092343731.jpg

As far as the bearing / bushing issue, I'm still weighting my options. Install the bushings and run it or bore the cases out to 1 3/8" so that I can use bearings instead. Right now I'm considering boring the cases out so that I can install bearings.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 7

TractorEd

You are doing amazing work!  :wh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

This had us :confusion-scratchheadblue: till a call to Lowell enlightened us. A two piece with bushings? Both trannys off a 953. Hint... the one with the bushings had extra F plate mounting holes in it. The plan was to use the half off the donor tranny which was the one with the bushings. 

Let you guys know why the donor had bushings instead of bearings after some guessing. There was :confusion-confused: about part nos cast into the cases too. 

20230212_121236.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Confused 2

WHX??

BTW Dan 4160 & 4161 are the IPL PNs for the cases. 

All four cases we have had 3000 & 3001 cast into them yet clearly came from different molds. 

@953 nut note the difference in the two pieces. Particularly the thickness of the far outboard housing and the nubbie at the far rear on the bottom one. Notice the seal setting area on the top one. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

Pullstart

Dan do you need any internals or did you get it figured out?

FB9B19CD-1BCF-402B-B9AC-B8B57780EBC6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

jeremi3210

If my memory is correct, the 1257 trans have the same casings as the 953/ 1054's. I do know that they have bevel gear diffs. When I put my 8 speed in mine I drilled and tapped a hole in the case to make it fit the mount on my 953. Just throwing ideas out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
40 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Dan do you need any internals or did you get it figured out?

I think that I have enough inner guts to make one. Will let you know if I need anything. Thanks.:)

• Like 2

jeremi3210

Dan I think I have a the short side of my trans in my parts pile. Let me know if ya need it. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

That's the side he needs Jer... 1 1/8 axles ? Just for grins what is the part no cast on it? 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

Shynon
11 hours ago, Achto said:

The one with longer keyways also had a woodruff key way cut into the opposite side of the axle. Why 2 key ways.

someone has been in both of them , they should be a woodruff key.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

jeremi3210
8 hours ago, WHX?? said:

That's the side he needs Jer... 1 1/8 axles ? Just for grins what is the part no cast on it? 

Not sure on a part number, but I know it came out of a 1054, pulled it out of the scrap yard myself for the rear end and the hydraulic lift. I used the other side and the axles for my 8 speed in my 953.

• Like 4

953 nut
11 hours ago, Achto said:

The one with longer keyways also had a woodruff key way cut into the opposite side of the axle. Why 2 key ways

26 minutes ago, Shynon said:

someone has been in both of them , they should be a woodruff key.

The early 953 like yours came with a straight 1/4" key-way, the 1054 has a Woodruff key but it is the larger #RX (1/4" X 2 3/4").

12 hours ago, Achto said:

I'm considering boring the cases out so that I can install bearings

That seems like the right thing to do.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

One differential had castle nuts that were wired together, the other one had lock nuts on the diff

The rear-end came off the line with flex top lock nuts, McMaster-Carr part number 94830A132 is a direct replacement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I'm considering boring the cases out so that I can install bearings

Yep that or see what Jerimi's case half looks like. 

Lowell says he ran into the same thing once. 

PO took some cases with 1 in axles and put bushings in. They still had to bore the hub to accept 1 1/8 seals. So why didn't they just bore the hubs for 1 1/8 bearings right off? 

Just for practice I'm gonna search some IPLs and see if those 3000 case numbers pop up.  

1 hour ago, jeremi3210 said:

used the other side and the axles for my 8 speed in my 953.

That was our other thought... to use a eight speed I got from @Terry M that has full length keys. How did you deal with the hi/lo shifter Jer? 

Edited by WHX??
Speeling
  • Like 2

19richie66

I believe there is enough room for the hi-lo to fit in there. Easiest thing to do is weld a new plate on the frame with the common bolt pattern and just use a newer transmission. 

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3

WHX??
6 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I believe there is enough room for the hi-lo to fit in there. 

That's why I asked Ritchie... maybe do that to 953 I have. Welding the plate on one wouldn't have to tsp new holes in the tranny. I didn't know yours was a 983 Jer. 

• Like 2

19richie66
8 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

That's why I asked Ritchie... maybe do that to 953 I have. Welding the plate on one wouldn't have to tsp new holes in the tranny. I didn't know yours was a 983 Jer. 

I have seen another 953/1054 with an 8 speed in it. As far as the plate goes, I would think you could probably redrill the one there or make another from 1/4” plate. I believe the frame gets in the way of the bolts with the hydraulic cylinder mount. Can’t remember. That’s why I just used a gt14 frame for my wife’s 1054. Either way I know you guys can manhandle it. 👍

• Like 3

jeremi3210
27 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

How did you deal with the hi/lo shifter Jer? 

I left the tunnel tirm piece out and put one bend in the shifter. Also I put in a 8 pinion diff instead of the bevel gear. The small side of the trans I just drilled and tapped a new mounting hole in the case.

Edited by jeremi3210
  • Like 4

Achto
24 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Easiest thing to do is weld a new plate on the frame with the common bolt pattern

No room for this. with the way the frame is designed for the hydro lift.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

peter lena

@Achto , like the tear down , did you re grease that split pulley bearing ? collective pulley drag areas , are a killer to function . looked at a lot of opportunities  , resto mod it ?  eliminate bad , install newer model W/H  replacement ?  just asking , pete 

• Like 2

19richie66
48 minutes ago, Achto said:

No room for this. with the way the frame is designed for the hydro lift.

Guess thats why I frame swapped mine. It’s been a little while since I did it. I know you can handle it. I’ve seen your work :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

you re grease that split pulley bearing ? 

I did repack the new bearing that I used. My plan is to keep the tractor mostly stock. I'm sure there will be a few improvements here & there.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

I suggested this Ritchie ... he says he's up for the challenge to run what he brung... :music-rockon:

We just can't get anything over ole greasy Pete can we! :text-lol:

• Haha 4