Pullstart

If you’re gonna be dumb, you better be tough!

rmaynard
17 hours ago, Pullstart said:

assembling a supplemental heat pellet stove :handgestures-thumbupright:

Hey Kevin, give me a little info on that stove. I'm looking for something small to take the chill off the inside my 18 x 20 pole building.

Pullstart
37 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Hey Kevin, give me a little info on that stove. I'm looking for something small to take the chill off the inside my 18 x 20 pole building.

It’s a Heatilator CAB50.  It has three flame settings, of which I have not verified the BTUs.  It runs on a thermostat, I just got a $21 cheap one from Home Depot.  It has a 14” to combustibles rating, and the vent is just 1” to combustibles.  I opted for much more safety than that!  (Are you surprised? :lol:). My father in law had it in his pole barn, but “it wouldn’t run right” for him.  I found the fire box completely full of ash.  My suspicion is that it was operated by plugging it in, and unplugging it with flame going.  Like a pellet grille, it has a proper shutdown method. The t-stat wires were twisted together for a constant call for heat.  He mentioned that it needed to be cleaned out daily, but my suspicion was that he shook the grates and dumped the ash tray but never vacuumed the fire box.  Lack of full maintenance and improper shut downs likely cause the stove to “not run right”.  He opted for an LP ceiling mount furnace for that shop and I traded him an add on wood stove furnace for another building.  So far, with the basement set at 70 degrees, I’ve gone through maybe 30 lbs of pellets in 18 hours.  The hopper is 120 lb capacity.

As for vent through the house, I built an insert in the old plexiglass basement window opening.  I siliconed a piece of 1/16” thick aluminum into the hole, then framed in the hole with treated 2x4 into two squares.  They were insulated with batting, then plated on the inside with more silicone.  I then drilled the hole for the thimble plate to be installed and sealed the vent tube with high temp RTV.

The left side “square” of framing will have the chute tube for filling the pellet bin next to it from outside.  This will prevent us from opening the door 20-40 times, walking through the house to the basement, getting more cold air, dirty floors, etc.

B1B8E740-6391-4B41-B2AF-98E7013DB58F.jpeg

7F80656C-4D9D-487F-9578-D2DBE5950F0C.jpeg

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Just wondering - for shops etc. is it advisable / ok to have pellet / wood stove with flames? I'm thinking paint, solvents etc... :confusion-confused:

I have a 1500 w electric heater in my garage work area but it don't cut it... 

rmaynard

Only electric has no flame. Propane, wood, pellet, oil all use fire to produce heat. I've forgotten and painted in my garage with a Hot Dawg propane heater running. I am still alive to tell about it. 

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Kevin, I think you have over 1/2 of the threads in this section.  Might be trying to tell you something ??  :confusion-confused:

@peter lena would put some Red Grease on it and some Black Tape.  :bow-blue:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

sjoemie himself
21 hours ago, Pullstart said:

assembling a supplemental heat pellet stove

Psshh.. shoulda just burned the wound shut like in the movies. Add some gun powder while you're at it for that extra zzziinngg :ychain:

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1