JoeM

WIX US or China made what's better

JoeM

Interesting till the end.

• Thanks 2

Jeff-C175

Still looks better than a Fram !  At least it ain't made outta cardboard!  :text-lol:

• Like 2

JoeM

It is strange one. That 14 year old filter looks like it is composite media and the new offshore one is synthetic media. 

I know in the my past with going from paper to synthetic in hydraulic systems, the oil samples proved an improvement in all particle count sizes with the synthetic media. Filter cost was 30% higher but we had cleaner oil and did gain some time between changes. big bang for the buck was less valve and pump issues. clearly a win. 

I just figure the synthetic media is now manufactured more common and it is used most widely.??

• Like 1

ri702bill
12 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Still looks better than a Fram !  At least it ain't made outta cardboard!  :text-lol:

Fram USED to be a quality product, made here in RI for years. Then Fram was sold to Allied Signal around 1985 - a short time later the manufacturing facility closed and production resumed in Mexico City. The entire product line was cost reduced to the marginal products we get today... I've mentioned these 2 items before....

1. - I had a Fram filter new, out of the box that would not screw on to the engine - it would start on one or 2 threads then lock up. Seems the top plate was not tapped thru properly....

2. - Their "quality" is so bad, I would not even use one on my ex-wife's car !!!

Bill

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

oliver2-44

Interestingly the oil filter data that was in a Blog posted by Wild Bill about a week ago agrees with this guy and Down Rated the "new" Wix filter that was tested.

I was surprised to read the Ford OEM Motorcraft filter was the highly rated. 

Then there was the Royal Purple filter.  Considering the marketing hype, he had to create a new rating category for it: Do Not Buy! 

@JoeM Interesting to read you dealt with oil filtering and analysis back in your working days.  I spent 40+ years as the "Oil Analysis Guy"

In my rookie Construction Inspector days, I developed the first lube oil and filter list with a Gulf Salesman for the two coal units we were building.  

One of my most educational experiences was when all the company steam plants and the dams got a new lube supplier contract with Conoco/Phillips. 

Supply Chain (Purchasing) had been doing 3-4 year contracts for several iterations and our lube was a mess from changing vendors so often.

I was part of a team that wrote new spec's and required the new vendor for the "12 Year contract" to provide an engineer to redevelop/cross reference all our lube list.

They sent down a Phd engineer from their lab in Oklahoma who actually had a lot of prior field knowledge.  He spent a month at the company going through the plants. 

I spent 4 days with him going through all the 6 dams 1940/50 equipment and really learned a lot form him.

They even sent him back for a week each year the contract was renewed. 

Best service we had out of any lube vendor!   Of course it helps when you write it into the contract.

• Like 2

JoeM
4 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Supply Chain (Purchasing)

Oh yeah all that. 

The company I worked for started to organize teams represented by persons from each operation. The just was to write spec and to compare the products submitted by each vendor and make purchasing recommendations. The final goal was to make sourcing agreements company wide for consumables.

I drew the short straw and was on the filtration team representing the Pa operations. What a journey and learning exercise. 

In the meetings the scope covered end users from large open pit mines to small one machine underground mines, and spread out across the country.

The big operations all had planners and the small ones just a calendar. 

All the specs were different and some warranties based on using only OE filters. IE CAT.

I remember one of the guys from KY. He said the mechanics change the hydraulic filters on payday. (two weeks) they used regular paper (composite) filters and never had much issues. Nothing fancy. 

All in all, it took 9 months. 

Just like you talked about that service engineer. We seen where having that kind of help was so important, it was written into the contracts for dedicated/documented service. 

And some of the contracts made the vendor pay premiums for missed service calls. 

You were lucky to get that guy. 

Some filter providers had to send their service guys to school in order to comply.