:text-welcomeconfetti:

You're in the right place!!!

• Like 3

oliver2-44

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Welcome

Click on the picture in the link for more.

Just a guess on the deck

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

The Raiders were one of the great Wheel Horse tractors.         I don't have one now, but I have saved quite a few.

None of mine had the electric PTO, so I'm guessing that was added by a PO.

I see parts of the original side drive deck drive system on the right side.    It appears the frame mounted front mule drive system was also added to replace the side drive.

This front drive system was used to power the decks before the front attach-a-matic was used.

• Like 4

cmyoch
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

Welcome

Click on the picture in the link for more.

Just a guess on the deck

Thanks so much for this! I was going to start searching for literature once I dove into it.

• Like 3

cmyoch
52 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

The Raiders were one of the great Wheel Horse tractors.         I don't have one now, but I have saved quite a few.

None of mine had the electric PTO, so I'm guessing that was added by a PO.

I see parts of the original side drive deck drive system on the right side.    It appears the frame mounted front mule drive system was also added to replace the side drive.

This front drive system was used to power the decks before the front attach-a-matic was used.

I have been wondering about the electric PTO given its age. If you can zoom in on the dash, there is a pull knob labeled "Electric Clutch" which has the same raised lettering as the rest of the dash components. I don't know much about the setup of the PTO system yet. The drive belts for the deck are missing. I will need to source the correct sizes to make it work.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

cmyoch
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

These manuals are EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I think I already know what PTO drive belt I need and now I'm reading up on the deck. So far, it looks like parts are still available. I know the spindles and bearings are still in good shape. I'm thinking a set of drive belts and giving the blades a good once over should get me going this coming spring.

• Like 4

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: @cmyoch!  I seem to recall the Electro models had the PTO clutch standard, and the Raider models had it as an option?  Maybe I’m dead wrong.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

cmyoch
8 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: @cmyoch!  I seem to recall the Electro models had the PTO clutch standard, and the Raider models had it as an option?  Maybe I’m dead wrong.

I just read through the manual for 1971 and it mentions the electric PTO as an option.

• Like 4

ebinmaine

To

:rs:

Great group of folks here. 

Absolutely any questions you have, please feel free to post. 

You've got there an excellent working tractor. 

With a little elbow grease and some time that'll clean up nicely.  

As noted above the Electric PTO was optional for that year. I believe that began in the late 60s. 

• Like 2

Achto

:WRS:

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

Always glad to see a Wheel Horse stay in the family and receive some love from another generation. Looks like your uncle took good care of it and was quite mechanically inclined. The belt tensioning device he created for the deck belts looks like it will get the job done very well. You may need to do a bit of measuring to come up with a deck drive belt that will work because of the front idler pulley system but it should work fine. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

The belt tensioning device he created

This frame mounted spring loaded idler/tensioner system was made by Wheel Horse.        It was only used for a short time when they ended the swing arm side drive and before the front attach-a-matic mule drive system was put into use.      I have several of these mule drives.  

There was also available a tombstone shaped pulley guard that bolted to the front that served as a nice bumper.

I personally liked the spring loaded idlers as they maintained a constant tension on the drive belt regardless of deck position or belt wear.

The 60" decks on the 520s also use a spring loaded mule drive.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

Horse Newbie

:text-welcomewave: to :rs: !!!!

You will be glad you came !

• Like 1

midpack

I put a Magnum18 in a C175 and had to use an electric PTO, they engage rather abruptly. I found a "soft start" module for the electric PTO and it's a whole lot better!

really easy to install too

• Like 3

cmyoch
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

This frame mounted spring loaded idler/tensioner system was made by Wheel Horse.        It was only used for a short time when they ended the swing arm side drive and before the front attach-a-matic mule drive system was put into use.      I have several of these mule drives.  

There was also available a tombstone shaped pulley guard that bolted to the front that served as a nice bumper.

I personally liked the spring loaded idlers as they maintained a constant tension on the drive belt regardless of deck position or belt wear.

The 60" decks on the 520s also use a spring loaded mule drive.

I plan on going out there today to give the mower deck a good look over. I was wondering if there was a guard or something that protects that pulley from debris, etc. Are they hard to come by if mine is missing?

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, cmyoch said:

I was wondering if there was a guard or something that protects that pulley from debris, etc. Are they hard to come by if mine is missing?

Of the 3 or 4 that I have had, only one had the guard.  I'll have to check to see if I still have it.

Here is the one I still have.   It is missing the front guard and the flat back side pulley and the spring.

104_1221.JPG.898582ff22de4c72c5ad384624c76da4.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

• Like 2

cmyoch

I went out over my lunch today to take a couple more pictures. One is of the deck and the other two are the engine. I've owned multiple Briggs engines and one Kohler but not a Tecumseh. Other than normal maintenance, is there anything I need to be aware of to extend its life?

WH Deck.jpg

WH Engine Left.jpg

WH Engine Right.jpg

• Like 1

Daddy Don

WHGuy413

Welcome!

• Like 1