sjoemie himself

Blasting cabinet

sjoemie himself

Soo I was eyeballing one of these for a looong time and finally convinced myself to go out and buy one. What I'm talking about is a blasting cabinet. Although it's a chinese manufactured 'sticker brand' I'm positively suprised by the quality of the cabinet for a price of $140.

That being said I'm going to replace the supplied airhoses on the gun because they are awkwardly short. Seems to me I cant aim the gun the way I would like to. But we'll get to that later.

First things first, made a wall mount for it and started assembly:

20221105_171427.jpg.a05b6bc7448a97aa644337f47064475b.jpg

Some specs, imperial 'translation' below:

20221105_171447.jpg.3655f1097dbbd874637dfa1aea8ed56d.jpg

Dimensions: 23" x 19" x 19.5"

Air consumption: 5.6cfm

Next up will be running some power to it for the built in light and connecting it to my compressor.

Also will need to install an oil/water separator to supply the unit with clean and dry air.

Will continue after the weekend.

Edited by sjoemie himself
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 6

pacer

Jeez, I dont think I could get along without my blast cabinet, gotta love that thing!!

So, you are gonna need some sort of vacuum system -- this is a MUST! Get on utube and prowl around, there are many posts about the different ways to make up one.

Over here most of us use 'coal slag' as a media, its by far the cheapest and does good, might look into that. And you may be surprised at how much air that thing can gobble up, likes lots of CFM.

The Harbor Freight cabinets most of us use here are - of course - imported, but are pretty darn good, and a whole range of modifications have been dreamed up for them, again prowl utube for mods on the HF cabinet and you might can do a mod or two also.

Enjoy!!

• Thanks 1

Achto

You will most definitely want some type of dust collector or you will not be able to see what you are doing in the blast cabinet. After I killed a shop vac using it as a dust collector by it's self. I made a cyclone dust collector by following the video that I will post below. This dust collector works great and can be made on the cheap. Many hours of use without killing my new shop vac.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

sjoemie himself

Thank you gentlemen, exactly the tips and tricks I was looking for!

I am planning somekind of central dust/smoke extracting system. One that doubles for welding, blasting and plasma cutting with a extraction point for each 'workstation'.

For the blasting cabinet I want to incorporate a cyclone-filter exactly as @Achto posted.

@pacer I'm sure this will get modified along the way. My compressor should put out 250l/min or about 9cfm.. we'll see how it goes

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

sjoemie himself

Finally received some missing components today and directly installed them.

1993455550_Screenshot_20221121-181402_Photos2.thumb.jpg.22b3cf4f9dc879cd59f17d406ff26978.jpg

1461017811_Screenshot_20221121-181408_Photos2.thumb.jpg.979caf31bd400925d609b537e61b6621.jpg

HAD to do a testpiece ofcourse.

1688094457_Screenshot_20221121-181419_Photos2.jpg.fc4fe9f5f60b428de16cb1c274a834a7.jpg

Pretty pleased with it. Blasting pressure is set at a moderate 4,5bar or 65psi.

1212728896_Screenshot_20221121-181426_Photos2.thumb.jpg.ec5784a3b8dcd1f57229e95cfb554112.jpg

• Excellent 4

sjoemie himself

Thank you Randy. Do you have first hand experience with these kits?

So far I'm pretty pleased with the setup as-is although I do have some tweaks in mind. I want to focus on dust containment first before anything else, the dust is nasty.

The upgrade kit is a bit on the expensive side, only about $10 cheaper than my entire blasting cabinet :angelic-halo:

Edited by sjoemie himself

RandyLittrell
On 12/11/2022 at 3:57 AM, sjoemie himself said:

Thank you Randy. Do you have first hand experience with these kits?

So far I'm pretty pleased with the setup as-is although I do have some tweaks in mind. I want to focus on dust containment first before anything else, the dust is nasty.

The upgrade kit is a bit on the expensive side, only about $10 cheaper than my entire blasting cabinet :angelic-halo:

I bought it, but haven't put it on yet. Too many irons in the fire! Looking forward to it though. My gun was shot and needed to buy a gun anyway, so figured might as well try this out. I know there are other kits too. 

Randy

• Like 1