GAJoe

Looking to get my first Wheel Horse; advise please.

GAJoe

Hellow from NE GA, with Currahee Mtn. out my breakfast window.

I'm 59 and been using a self propelled walk behind until the personal pace wore out for the second time a couple years ago and been pushing it sense. I started looking for a rider to pre retire with and remembered that years ago I had discovered Wheel Horse machines that were 40 years old and still going strong. I told myself then that when it came time to get a rider I want to get a Wheel Horse that will last the rest of my life with some maintenance and proper use. I'm looking to get my first Wheel Horse; favoring a pre Toro 312-8. Can you guys/gals guide me in making a check-list? I don't expect a flawless tractor as I see so many of that are stored indoors up north. But I hope to get a solid functioning machine that isn't in need of a major repair that I discover once I get it home. I don't mind having to do some minor fixes; things wear in forty years of use. What are the signs that tell you that it's wore slap out? Please list your experiences that you hate to remember to help a fellow Wheel Horse fan avoid that same sinking feeling that you once had.

Thanks for your help,

Joe

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

GAJoe

I just found the "New-to-the-herd checklist?". I'll read through that.

I found "You left out broken tab on axle pivot since a lot of them are broken.  On 300, 400 and 500 series the front attachment at fender and gas tank a lot are broken or cracked." Can someone explain or post pictures?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

Well first of all:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Then... Oh you nailed it with the "list".  

Click below.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, GAJoe said:

I just found the "New-to-the-herd checklist?". I'll read through that.

I found "You left out broken tab on axle pivot since a lot of them are broken.  On 300, 400 and 500 series the front attachment at fender and gas tank a lot are broken or cracked." Can someone explain or post pictures?

Excellent timing!

I just now posted a link to that.  

• Like 2

WHX??

Well first off Joe ... 

:WRS:

We can help you find the perfect :wh: for you.

Some ?? First... what are your mechanical skills? The tractor you desire may need some some help and that is what we are here for but you need to possess some some of basic mechanical skills .. electrical... is a plus. 

Since these tractors are older it often means they might have been through many hands meaning many alterations.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

GAJoe
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

Well first off Joe ... 

We can help you find the perfect :wh: for you.

Some ?? First... what are your mechanical skills? The tractor you desire may need some some help and that is what we are here for but you need to possess some some of basic mechanical skills .. electrical... is a plus. 

Since these tractors are older it often means they might have been through many hands meaning many alterations.  

I work for Carrier Factory Service mostly doing DDC control work and troubleshoot/repair commercial roof top units. I've done some simple small engine repairs, no rebuilds. I restored a Bally Mata Hari pinball about 20 years ago. Had to redo 120 molex terminals and learn how to solder on PC boards without burning things up. I don't think there will be much of that but I did pick up some troubleshooting skills. I'm willing to learn. I'm retiring from Carrier soon and a perfect job would be a tool rental to learn repairs on many different machines. Ine of my favorite YouTube chanels is Scanner Danner even though it gets over my head quite often. I 'm looking at a 312-8 with the Kohler K series engine. Hope to have it home mid November if it checks out. That's why I'm making the list.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Blasterdad
14 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

I restored a Bally Mata Hari pinball about 20 years ago.

Sorry, off topic but I remember playing that game years ago! I had the high score on it. The artwork on it was cool ! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

WHX??

Awesome Joe ... did a little work on Carrier  DDC im my HVAC career as well although  I won't admit it... :hide:... Lennox guy here.

312-8 is a great tractor ang as long as it ain't been too butchered up is a good choice... in the same sentence look her over real careful.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WHX??

No problem Blaster you guys go at it ... that's what makes this site so great! 

• Like 1

JCM

Great model, 1989 here since new. bulletproof.     :text-welcomeconfetti:to    :rs:

20190914_144254.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

Got any beaver pics? 

Edited by The Freightliner Guy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, GAJoe said:

Since no-one has answered your questions yet, I'll give it a whirl. :)

PIvot Tab

The 300 tractors have a cast iron front axle that hangs on a pivot that passes through two holes in the frame. There is a tab welded to the aft end of the pivot that extends upward by about an inch or so.  There is a bolt through that tab into a threaded hole in the frame that holds the tab, and the pivot, in place (losing the pivot while driving is an unpleasant event). It is fairly common for the bolt to work loose while the pivot stays in place. And sometimes for the tab to break between the bolt and the pivot leaving the pivot vulnerable to falling out.

This is an easily repaired issue assuming the pivot hasn't fallen out and damaged something but it's not easy to see without getting the front lifted up.

You can see in this image that the bolt fell out once and the pivot was rotating and scraped an arc in the paint!. Lots of excess grease there too! This is looking from the left side, front to the left and the right wheel in the background.

image.png.74b685290910a3b73d9f87b97e7b370c.png

Front Fender Attachment

The 300 tractors have a full fender covering both rear rear wheels and the transmission and gas tank. That fender bolts down to a rail under the fender that runs across the tractor. Where the tractor has been exposed to weather a lot, or the underside of the fender has a heavy accumulation of wet grass, etc. that rail can rust out (or the brackets it attaches to can rust out) and the fender (and seat) become insecure.

This can be a serious impairment and there are a number of possible repairs. Check for it by gripping the forward edge of the fender and testing for up or down play. Look underneath above and in front of the rear tires for accumulated debris. A lot of rust creeping out in front of the fender onto the center console is another hint.

Here the fender has been removed and I'm pointing to the rail. Rust can affect the rail itself or, more likely, the flanged frame members just at the left edge of the picture to which the rail is bolted.

image.png.9f5ccf875eb5241cb0241fddd4125652.png

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

GAJoe
10 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Since no-one has answered your questions yet, I'll give it a whirl. :)

PIvot Tab

The 300 tractors have a cast iron front axle that hangs on a pivot that passes through two holes in the frame. There is a tab welded to the aft end of the pivot that extends downward by about an inch or so.  There is a bolt through that tab into a threaded hole in the frame that hold the tab, and the pivot, in place (losing the pivot while driving is an unpleasant event). It is fairly common for the bolt to work loose while the pivot stays in place. And sometimes for the tab to break between the bolt and the pivot leaving the pivot vulnerable to falling out.

This is an easily repaired issue assuming the pivot hasn't fallen out and damaged something but it's not easy to see without getting the front lifted up.

Is this it?

Front axle pivot.JPG

• Like 4

Handy Don
5 minutes ago, GAJoe said:

Is this it?

Front axle pivot.JPG

Yep.

Added pictures to the original post.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

Brockport Bill

1709327021_312-8display.thumb.jpg.bf3bbe28b778425c08f4ea0677900019.jpg312-8 served me well since 1989

• Like 2

sjoemie himself

Hi @GAJoe and :text-welcomeconfetti:

I think you'll find out very quick that you have come to the right place when it comes to seeking knowledge about Wheel Horse tractors.

All the people on here are very well versed on Wheel Horse (and many other things, some more useful than other) and for the most part pretty friendly :P

Greetings from the Netherlands, Mark 

• Like 2

Achto

A 312-8 would be a great tractor. In my book any :wh: with a single cylinder Kohler and a gear shift transmission makes a good strong tractor. Nothing wrong with the hydro's, I just prefer a gear jammer.

BTW, great wild life pic's!!

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Regarding that pin.  If the axle were greased PROPERLY with the weight of the tractor off the ground, the axle wouldn’t grab and rip at that pin tab.   Most folks don’t lift the frame of the tractor to relieve the pressure, where it allows the grease access to the actual wear points.  I can understand how that might be difficult with the mower deck on, but with the tach-a-matic feature, a deck can be removed in about a minute!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Yeah, great pictures!  If a machine were stored outside (And I prefer a gear jammer too), water most likely found it’s way into the transmission.  Most later model tractors if not all after the 70’s? Had an easy access dipstick.  It would be a great tell of it’s storage type by checking for milkshake oil in the trans.  If not a dipstick like checking oil, it would be a square plug under the seat pan.  Being a crescent wrench with you, just in case.  Some K series engines had the square plug dipstick as well.  

• Like 2

953 nut

The 312-8 will be a real pleasure to mow with. I have had a 310-8 (same tractor with two less HP) for sixteen years and it hasn't missed a beat. It is a 1986 with the K-241 and came with the house when we moved to NC. I already had a couple older Wheel Horses at the time so it sealed the deal for me. I doubt that a 36 year old machine of any other brand would give the faithful service I've had from the :wh:. Regular oil changes, greasing, points and a spark plug every couple years and other routine maintenance will keep this machine going for a few more decades I'm sure.

• Like 4

rjg854

there's not a lot more for me to add because I'm not that familiar with the later models, except to say :WRS:

• Like 2

oliver2-44

I restored a neglected 312-8 about 5 years ago for my son to use for mowing. It’s been a great machine You might also want to consider the C Series tractors. Like the pre Toro 312-8 they are rugged and have simple electrical systems. The C-120 or C-121 would be the equivalent of a 312. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4