GAJoe

Looking to get my first Wheel Horse; advise please.

JPWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:To :rs:

• Like 2

peter lena

@GAJoe  welcome to the group  ,  that base line service , like your first thorough look over , for condition  and opportunities  to correct before a failure .  trans oil , milky ?  , get a shift boot , and plan a drainage  , with the bottom of trans , Allen plug . 2 qts of 80-90 gear oil , grease everything , also use aerosol penetrating lubricant . look over wire connections , for corrosion and splitting . take advantage of what works , and enhance / insure that operation . agree with others that horses are a solid machine , regular look overs and maintenance is key  for dependable operation .  don't  be afraid to ask , about anything , like your wildlife pictures , keep in touch , pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
16 hours ago, GAJoe said:

What are the signs that tell you that it's wore slap out?

To me, there aren't any signs that Wheel Horses are 'worn out.'

There are signs that Wheel Horses need someone to love and care for them though! With enough love, care, and elbow grease you will fall deeply in love with your Wheel Horse.

You may want to consider completely rebuilding any machine that you buy... just to establish a bond with your tractor, ensure that there aren't any vulnerabilities, and give us lot's and lot's of: :text-coolphotos:

Welcome to the forum!!!

Don

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

I have a B100 that I bought new in 1976. I thought I would never find another tractor that I would like so much. Over the years I’ve bought, sold and given away several B and C Series. All great tractors. Recently I bought a 1985 312-8. I planned on fixing it up a little and selling it. Well, long story short, this thing just said to me that it was never leaving, and I had to agree with it. I thought my B100 was something but this 312-8 is something more. 
Good luck on your hunt for a tractor. If you are fortunate enough to find a 312-8 or 314-8 I am sure you will be more than happy with it. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

GAJoe

Found my 312-8 I hope. I have a half way meet setup with the seller and he has listed it as pending.  I told him that I would send him my list so that we won't be wasting each other's time and gas.  Help me finish up the list.

Thanks for all the comments.  You guys are educating me and making me feel welcome.  I can tell that as long as I can access my computer that I will have all of the support that I need to keep my Wheel Horse 312-8 running for the rest of my days. 

You're a great bunch of guys.

Question: this has the K series Kohler rather than the Magnum. Does that date it as being Pre-Toro?

Screenshot_20221026-233814_Facebook.jpg

Edited by GAJoe
  • Like 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, GAJoe said:

Question: this has the K series Kohler rather than the Magnum. Does that date it as being Pre-Toro?

:text-coolphotos:              That looks like a well cared for 312-8, Nice find!

Toro bought Wheel Horse in 1986 and went to the Magnum in 1987. Not sure when in '86 the sale took place but chances are the supply of engines and associated electrical wiring harnesses were already on hand or contracted for at the time of the sale. 

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3

GAJoe

It's a 312-8.

I know that the pictures I see of the Magnum equipped tractors also have the troubleshooting lights on the dash. Maybe that was the first wave of changes that Toro made to modernize their new product line. Just a guess.

I would love to hear some actual facts though.

• Like 3

953 nut

Here is the operator manual with wiring diagrams for the 1986 model year, this should be helpful in answering your questions.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

D_Mac

Those are some great photos. Can I ask what type of camera you shot them with? 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy

@GAJoe you could make a topic all about nature shots and such me and others would love to see them 

Kollin:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GAJoe
19 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Those are some great photos. Can I ask what type of camera you shot them with? 

Canon 7DII sadly discontinued.  But I got a pro body R5 and it's even better. 45  MP; resolution is incredible.  This portrait is a crop of the other. Hope that you can see the sharp detail. 

_O4A2902-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg

_O4A2902crop-DeNoiseAI-denoise-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

• Excellent 6
  • Heart 2

D_Mac

Great photos. I passed them along to a friend of mine. He is an artist. His passion is painting birds. He enters the Federal Duck Stamp contest every year. Although he has never won that contest he has won other prestigious awards like NYS wildlife artist of the year. You have a outstanding talent. Love to see more of your work.

• Like 4

D_Mac

Here is one of his paintings. 

197873585_10165401123655594_6387102222347541541_n.jpg

• Excellent 4
  • Heart 4

Horse Newbie
On 10/25/2022 at 9:40 PM, GAJoe said:

I enjoy doing wildlife photography.

If that’s the case, make sure to come to the Big Show next June in PA… there will be plenty of horses, old goats, wolves, chicks, turkeys, badgers, and strange birds to photograph there !

:ROTF:

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Haha 4

Horse Newbie
On 10/25/2022 at 9:46 PM, The Freightliner Guy said:

Got any beaver pics? :lol:

Naughty, naughty…

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy
21 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Naughty, naughty…

What I just like beavers 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Horse Newbie
2 minutes ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

What I just like beavers 

Nothing… they are amazing creatures.

• Like 3

TonyToro Jr.

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

• Like 3

953 nut
2 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

If that’s the case, make sure to come to the Big Show next June in PA… there will be plenty of horses, old goats, wolves, chicks, turkeys, badgers, and strange birds to photograph there !

:ROTF:

:angry-tappingfoot:              Hay!   I resemble some of those remarks!          :hide:

• Haha 4

WHX??

As you might have guessed Joe these :occasion-clown::occasion-clown: like to go a little :text-offtopic:

... especially  this :occasion-clown: @ebinmaine

Doesn't help when you put up them :text-coolphotos:...:lol:

There is another section here ... non tractor related discussion... put up more please... BTW  @Ed Kennell and I like deer and bear.... :) ... well beeves too!

• Haha 5

GAJoe
6 hours ago, WHX?? said:

As you might have guessed Joe these :occasion-clown::occasion-clown: like to go a little :text-offtopic:

Doesn't help when you put up them :text-coolphotos:...:lol:

There is another section here ... non tractor related discussion... put up more please... BTW  @Ed Kennell and I like deer and bear.... :) ... well beeves too!

I put up a few in non-tractor related discussion.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:angry-tappingfoot:              Hay!   I resemble some of those remarks!          :hide:

Which ones??

7 hours ago, WHX?? said:

you might have guessed Joe these :occasion-clown::occasion-clown: like to go a little :text-offtopic:

MMEEEEEEE?????

My entire existence is off topic. Off center. Off kilter. Odd angles. Offenhauser. Wait no nevermind I have a Clifford performance intake manifold.  

• Haha 4

953 nut
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Which ones??

come to the Big Show next June in PA… there will be plenty of horses, old goats, wolves, chicks, turkeys, badgers, and strange birds to photograph there ! and a few that @Horse Newbie left out!                       :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 3

ebinmaine

That should be a 1974 or 5. 

Looks to be in good solid overall condition.  

The absolute beast of the vintage.  

The holy grail of Wheelhorses to many.  

I have 6 of them here in our herd.  

You've done VERY well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1