sjoemie himself

512-D with sweeper, upgrades and modifications

ebinmaine

Niiiiice. Runs smooth. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Sounds like fun!  Sure does shake the tractor at startup and shutdown!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The Freightliner Guy

It’s like when a dog gets wet it’s just trying to shake off water or debris.

or it’s shivering cuz it’s cold.

Edited by The Freightliner Guy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

sjoemie himself

@Pullstart sure is fun. Now the sweeper is off it's very agile. Took it for a little ride and climbed over a small but steep earth wall. Did'nt even knew it was there.

• Like 3

peter lena

@sjoemie himself where you been ?  while you are in that rusty  dash area , https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tritan-ucfl204-12-flange-mount-bearing-2-bolt-flange-set-screw-locking-bore-19-05-mm?  good spot for this bearing , and related  horizontal bracing , bearing is only a reference , as to type and availability , know your  availability is different  . ever put any diesel fuel cleaners to your fuel ? looks like an interesting project , take advantage of its running  and help dial in your wiring  redo , good luck , pete 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

@peter lena well life happened I guess. After I went to the harvest-show I kinda lost motivation to work on the Murray to IH project.

At the same time we decided to paint some furniture so that meant no grinding and welding allowed :law-policeblue: Furniture moved indoors so now I can start playing again.

About the bearing, thanks for bringing that up. I'll need it. The steering shaft is looking pretty sad as it sits now. Might have to replace or atleast repair it since it is badly worn, gears look to be OK.

Same goes for the pto-clutch engagement thing-a-ma-bob.. it was held in place with a 4" long woodscrew.. talk about ingenuity :hide:

I have no experience with diesel-fuel treatment. Tank looks clean but I have'nt opened the fuel filter assembly yet. I'm assuming it's pretty clean since there is no white smoke.. only black, which I believe is OK. 

Edited by sjoemie himself
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, sjoemie himself said:

diesel-fuel treatment

Over here in Maine USA most places don't run a diesel treatment because the newer trucks just don't need it. 

If you really want a GOOD treatment chemical go ask an IMPORTANT transport. Fire station. Ambulance.  Oil delivery drivers. Folks that absolutely must move no matter how cold.  

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

sjoemie himself
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

IMPORTANT transport. Fire station. Ambulance.  Oil delivery

Good one @ebinmaine, never thought about that. 

• Like 4

Snoopy11

Why the blue strap? :confusion-confused:

20221021_174819.jpg.9c5d6bc25ccb74fe408d7e3f850af2f2.jpg

I use zip ties to hold my batteries down... never had an issue! :D

Don

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@sjoemie himself   notice that PTO LEVER START , NEXT TO BATTERY TRAY ?  looking at photo , left hand side stubby cotter pin end point  just to left of starter switch ?  added a number of washers and grease to that sloppy set up to make that lever work with ease , then added this in place of the  the trunnion end , https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Inch-Female-Heim-Joint/dp/B075FG4PMG , original threading was 3/8 x 16 , went over that thread wit a 3/8x 24 die nut , easily went over the existing threads, cutting oil , screwed on the heim joint, have that set up on my 3 horses , just an idea , BTW , that battery ground cable point bolt down , add a cable from that to your engine / chassis to enhance grounding issues , headlights , rectifier charging , starting  etc ,  you better get going or ill  give you a list , stay at it , pete   

• Thanks 1

sjoemie himself
2 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Why the blue strap?

WHY the blue strap?

or

Why the BLUE strap?

or

Why the blue STRAP?

I guess I could have ORDERED a red one but all the shop had on the shelf was either yellow, orange or blue:ychain:

And thanks for 'zip tie'.. was looking for that word but could'nt think of it.

@peter lena thanks again for pointing that out.

I think you would have a fieldtrip with this one aswell as the sweeper. Sooo many greasing points and opportunities for overall improvement. Like I mentioned before though big improvements will have to wait for now. That being said, being able to start the tractor with the key instead of putting the wire against the positive terminal of the battery is a big plus! (See what I did there?)

I will snap a few pictures of some areas that need a little TLC so you can see what the other, bigger, jobs will be.

If all goes well I'll be out sweepin' tomorrow. I'll try to take some video so you people can see the sweeper in action.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

This “mount” lasted from August to March!

359F2687-D144-44E7-BE08-43A3FBDDA4A5.jpeg

• Haha 4

Pullstart

Then I built this, but kept the heavy wire!

8CB92C1D-1BA4-4202-9E51-B44CB50C6C2A.jpeg

17DB426B-773D-4DC4-AC4A-A0CF70B77DFD.jpeg

• Like 2

sjoemie himself
5 hours ago, Pullstart said:

359F2687-D144-44E7-BE08-43A3FBDDA4A5.jpeg

That's one way of doing it! Not sure that would have been an improvement over the previously installed zipties in my case though :ychain:

5 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Then I built this, but kept the heavy wire!

8CB92C1D-1BA4-4202-9E51-B44CB50C6C2A.jpeg

17DB426B-773D-4DC4-AC4A-A0CF70B77DFD.jpeg

I like this and might copy it, but instead of placing the battery I'm going to use it for some counterweight for the sweeper. Probably gonna load it up with some concrete tile instead of heavy wire :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
19 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

Purists look away please

IMHO that's a right nifty improvement over a situation 

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

Soo the plan today was to help out my mom and dad and sweep their driveway. Unfortunately things did'nt go as smooth as planned so I ran out of daylight. I did however manage to dial everything in best I could, changed the transmission oil and fabricated a quick and dirty weight bracket.

Nasty oil, probably a bit watery as this transmission seems to have the same issue every WH transmission has..

Jacked up the front and used a handy dandy oil sucker to get most if not all oil out.

20221022_134110.jpg.ec1fd806e2d83d66443f921ea668074a.jpg

Made a bracket from some scrap. Mounts to the hitch pin and butts up to the transmission via a long lever. Kinda like the original hitch but with a longer arm. Should cause less stress on the casting.

20221022_154111.jpg.d85de5839319e356798b9ce9c49655be.jpg

Four concrete tiles with a hole add up to about 40kg/88lbs. Helps with traction while the heavy sweeper is mounted.

20221022_154235.jpg.136565d8c6346565057a61a7af864eed.jpg

And as promised some video for ya.. I think it's pretty clear my driveway could do with a makeover :oops:

Edited by sjoemie himself
Typo, thanks to lovely auto-correct
  • Excellent 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

That sweeper does and excellent job. The best part of you running the sweeper is that you were riding a wheelhorse the whole time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@sjoemie himself   water in the trans ? how are your shift boots ?   pete

sjoemie himself
21 minutes ago, peter lena said:

how are your shift boots

Non existant 

• Sad 1

ebinmaine

Mark there should be a drain plug on the BOTTOM of the transmission as well.  

Near the back and near the center.  Likely an Allen head.  

You'll want to run that fluid around a little bit then drain and fill again.  Nasty stuff.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

Yep @ebinmaine you're right. Unfortunately I found that out áfter I drained everything :techie-eureka:

I read on the forum that most people fill the transmission with diesel first and drive around with that a bit to rinse everything before draining it and filling it back up with oil again.

I am going to do that but not right now. That will have to wait until the tractor is going to be overhauled.

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

Went out sweepin' today and although I got the job done i'm not totally happy.

I thought I had tuned the clutch so it would work better, turns out that's not the case.

When the sweeper bristles fully engage the ground over the full width it stops turning. At first I thought it was the belt slipping but i'm pretty sure the clutch is the culprit.

If anything it should bog the engine down a bit instead of stopping the sweeper. Or am I overly optimistic about the clutching power of the clutch?

Might need one of each from this picture :crying-blue:

Also.. does anyone has the 'section 18' that is referred to in the picture? Maybe that will give me some idea of what I can do to fix the clutch issue.

401856939_Screenshot_20221024-192704_Drive2.jpg.c7580a9dbf908baa3e34615cfceebeba.jpg

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, sjoemie himself said:

section 18

Maybe in the manuals section of Redsquare? 

• Thanks 1