gfullz

523xi Berco snowblower, how?

gfullz

Hey guys! new wheel horse owner here. I picked up a 2001 523xi that came with a berco subframe. I happened to find a 40" compact berco that was hardly used to slap on it only I'm not sure where to start as there are no resources for this that I can find. I'm mechanically inclined, rebuilt the injection pump, injectors etc... as I purchased it non-running as it wasn't receiving any fuel to the injectors (it runs amazing now btw). 

so for starters I'm going to go out on a whim here and say that this will require the mule drive or "pulley box". and I've got the rest of the parts in the picture. The parts of the subframe that look to bolt up seem so narrow compared to the hookups on the rest of the tractor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_7706.jpeg

IMG_7707.jpeg

IMG_7708.jpeg

• Like 1

peter lena

@gfullz word of advise , take the time to detail lubricate the entire function of that , chances are those pulleys do not have a hi temp / stress grease in them , slowing down drive  function. notice that flat idler tiny bearing ? second picture , know for bearing failures , that belt transfer frame 1,st picture , could use a functional detailing , love to bring those set ups to life , personally replace , original grease , or pulleys with larger bearings , aerosol lubricant to make the rust run out. would set it up so you can hand move the drive belt function / action , make it move easier , that spring to idler pulley , should move with solid smoothness. look at the entire set up , each section is a hand off of drive power .  might find a  video on line , to show you ,  good luck , pete

gfullz

Thanks Pete - I will definitely lube everything up once I get some sort of confirmation that this sub frame is in fact the correct one for this tractor.... I'm just going by the fact that it came with the tractor, assuming that's the only reasonable explanation, you never know and I'm new to these for sure. 

I'm also wondering what those left and right mounts were used for on the inside of the front wheels? I'm pretty sure they made a FEL for these but that may be a stretch.

After a second look at that small belt on the subframe it's indicative that this is not intended for this tractor... Looks like that would hook up to a vertical shaft motor and not the mule as that would require a much longer belt. I guess I could be missing something but....

Edited by gfullz
  • Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

The Xi machines are amazing!  The one downfall I have found, is the pivot pin.  

please take a bit to inspect yours!

peter lena

@gfullz  did find a few  blowers on your model . look up 523xi  with berco blower , you tube etc , were showing earlier model tractors , just scan thru  what's out there , you might even find an installation site  . good luck . pete

gfullz
11 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@gfullz  did find a few  blowers on your model . look up 523xi  with berco blower , you tube etc , were showing earlier model tractors , just scan thru  what's out there , you might even find an installation site  . good luck . pete

The issue is that there is nothing to be found for the 5xi with a berco. I've seen the vertical shaft tractors with the setup in a few vids but the xi and those models do not appear to have much in common. In browsing the berco manuals I can't seem to even find that identical drive mech. I see some brackets on the axle but I'm not sure any part of the blower subframe would even reach that far. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

This front idler assembly from the 2000 48" side discharge deck looks like yours.

https://www.partstree.com/models/78363-toro-48-side-discharge-mower-deck-for-5xi-garden-tractors-sn-200000001-200999999-2000/pulley-box-assembly-3/

Do you have the rear axle hitch?

https://www.partstree.com/models/100-3390-toro-rear-attach-a-matic-kit-for-5xi-series-garden-tractors/rear-attach-a-matic-for-garden-tractor-0/

Manuals for it

Get the frame under the tractor and see what lines up.

Many manuals here but model number required and possibly access to the French language.

https://bercomac.com/services-and-support/owner-manual

• Like 1

gfullz

Thanks Gwest - I do not have the rear quick attach. I'm thinking due to the logistics/orientation of the pulley's relative to the mule drive and blower that maybe the guy just assumed this subframe went with this tractor. I've looked at every manual listed for toro on the berco website and nothing looks familiar. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I would contact Bercomac. I am sure they would help you.

Keep in mind New Holland also sold the 5xi tractors but blue in color.