Cee245

314-8 maintenance

Cee245

Since I bought this 314, I've gone over it fixing little things here and there. 

The hour meter didn't work I'm guessing since it had 54 hours when I bought it and i highly doubt it's true. Cleaned some connections and it works so far.

Anyway, I ordered a new belt, idler pulley, shift boot... I noticed this, (in pics) shock absorber underneath the panel. I thought these were only on later models (post 1998). Wow, Those suckers are a bit expensive for me. 

Isn't there a spring option? The shock is not blown out, but it's worn and seems a little loose/weak when i took it off.  I'd rather use a spring since a new shock absorber is like $140+ online and I'm guessing a large spring would perform as well or better.

20220922_000800.jpg

20220922_000749.jpg

ri702bill

Check A-Z Tractors, they have a drop in replacement for 1/3 the cost. Yes, you can replace it with the heavy spring used on the C series - P/N 10995 if I recall correctly...

Bill

• Like 3

Sparky

I completely removed that shock damper thingy. Running my 315-8 now with just the spring and it’s much better. 

image.jpg

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@Cee245  agree with the spring replacement , those cylinders  and  dry rusty / related linkage points , make for erratic , operation , notice your lift lever end , swivel point is dry , ensure both ends have aerosol penetrating  lubricant , remove shift plate , that cylinder and related small bearing idler pulley , often combine for erratic clutch action . pete 

• Like 1

Lee1977

The spring is the way to fix it. 

• Like 2

Rick3478

Leave the wore-out gas spring where it is, may still provide some damping.  Add old school extension spring to other side of tractor, should be a little hole in the axle casting to hook it in IIRC.

• Like 2

Cee245

Thanks for the suggestions 

ri702bill

Thanks Mike - the the correct P/N is 108035 - recently bought 2 - one for the 502, one for a spare for the working girls....

Cee - Don't use a pair of pliers or Vise-Grips to install the spring, as that can nick the end of the spring, and that is where it will break. Use a pair of brake spring pliers with the hook ( who uses these nowadays??) hook the spring, other end goes on the Unidrive near the hole in the gusset - stretch the spring, seat the end in the hole, roll the hook of the tool out. Been there... done that.

• Excellent 4

Handy Don
8 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Use a pair of brake spring pliers with the hook

Didn't have those so I used a bit of wire looped around the spring end and clamped with vise grips. Cut the wire after the spring was in place. Kinda awkward but ya gotta do...

• Like 2

Cee245

Ordered two.  And thanks for the brake spring pliers tip! 

I check HF tool and it looks like they have a decent kit. I like when I get to buy a new tool for a job! 😂  I know I'm not alone. Lol

Cee245

Got the idler installed with new belt. It's a genuine toro wheel horse belt $$. Not that it matters, but I see it's kinda brown. I thought they'd be black I guess. 

Still waiting for my other stuff to come as I choose the slower, cheaper shipping on some items.

20220928_223151.jpg

• Like 1