Ed Kennell

953 steering assembly

Ed Kennell

The steering on Fred needs attention.   The wheel turns 1/4 turn and raises about 3/8" before engaging with the fan or worm gear.      I assume there is a thrust bearing to prevent the shaft from lifting.

I could use a drawing of the assembly and/or some advice on the best way to tighten up the steering.   The spindles and tie rods are good. All the slop is in the upper shaft.

@953 nut    @gwest_ca                          Thanks

• Like 1

gwest_ca

This operator manual includes what you need

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

The fan gear is supported by a 3/4" (I think) rod, # 6, that is supported at both ends by the dash tower, sounds like one end may have come out.

1209174243_Screenshot(83).png.083b432c68fe87682d9af060f59d8b58.png

Edited by 953 nut

Ed Kennell
19 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The fan gear

Thanks Richard, but mine has the worm gear and pin design.  So I'll try adjusting the tube plug and the tapered pin as detailed in the manual Garry supplied.

• Like 1

squonk

Sounds like you have the Ross steering column. They need rebuilding quite often. I think Cub Cadet sites have info on those.

• Like 1

pacer

If it is the Ross box - and I seem to remember it is, like @squonk  mentioned. Then this is the culprit that will cause your misery...... They come in 2 thread sizes 1/2 & 9'16 and its been too long since I went into one and I dont remember which WH used. There used to be several "Kits" on the bay but I could only find the one and piece its 1/2". The 'kit would have bearings and gaskets too.

do a search for  Ross Steering Box Cam Follower

Picture 3 of 3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Jay Paxton @JPWH did a rebuild of a ross not too long ago, I seem to remember him posting some information on it. Also, @Lane Ranger did a post on the Ross boxes several years back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pacer

Heres another one on doing a rebuild of the Ross. 

https://www.gardentractortalk.com/threads/snapper-mf-1650-ross-steering-rebuild-help.10576/

I'm a "D" nut an all of them had the Ross, I reckon I've been in 5-6 of them. They were used on several of the other GT's - Cub, JD, Ford, etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JPWH

When I rebuilt the Ross steering in my 953 old grease in the worm gear and needing adjustment was the major problem. It would not adjust properly because the old grease was so hard.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:woohoo:   I adjusted the tapered pin and the bottom plug per the manual and pumped in some new grease.    Freds front end is now smooth and tight.

Thanks to all.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pacer

Thats great!! You lucked out, the taper is usually worn deeply into each side and will prevent you from turning it. 

I was having trouble finding one few yrs ago and got PO"d and chucked it up in the lathe and ground it back into a taper - worked, but would have preferred to have had a new one.....