Pullstart

1947 Farmall H

Pullstart

My wife’s co-worker asked us if we’d like to purchase a 47 H with a brush hog.  It’s her new father in-law’s and it runs and drives.  Suggest value?  I’ve seen all kinds of sale prices between auctions and private sales and dealers..

I’d really enjoy having a nice brush hog machine.  That H sure looks classic!

EC054469-5224-4EFA-B953-E1891FF5D0EA.jpeg

42769D42-B2A8-46C2-97A2-60249E37E185.jpeg

AF8D9775-142A-49C9-8626-2C2B6C4CEFDE.jpeg

FDA3592E-A7BE-4146-A799-594BACF6F936.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 2

Pullstart

Any thoughts on the mower?  I don’t recognize the axle design, but maybe it was added for ease of transport?

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

Ones in perfect condition go for 14,500 but I’d say maybe 2,000-6,000

Edited by The Freightliner Guy
  • Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

Yeah I don’t think mowers came with white wall tires 

WHX??

Dan? @Achto any idea 

I saw some at the last show for sale but don't remember what model or what they were going for. Brush hog don't look like much but might suffice for clearing shooting lanes out to the stand. 

I am going to say 2500-3000 on the tractor based on a nice Cockshutt 30 just went for 36 around here. Try tractor trader for a fair value on it Kev. 

Mikey the Monkey

$2000 for both tops, if they're both operable

Edited by Mikey the Monkey
  • Like 4

WHX??

Oooooh Mikeys lowballing.... :ychain::lol:

• Haha 2

Pullstart

Funny thing, is he’s asking even less than that!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

I'd probably go get it then...:auto-layrubber:

Skwerl58

That tractor looks like it will start right up and clean up well. The bush hog does have an interesting design with the height adjustment and axle.  In some places the vintage tractor prices are soft. We have our uncles MF 35 for sale with 8 pieces of equipment for $3500 and its in good shape. 5-10 years ago this group would be at $5500 +. I would buy it but I use my Wheel Horses for all the stuff I need done and storage is another issue. Hope you can work up a great deal !

• Like 1

Achto

1 hour ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

Ones in perfect condition go for 14,500

It would have to be something really extremely special for that price!! The made around 390,000 H's, so it's not like it's a rare tractor.

2 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Funny thing, is he’s asking even less than that!

I was gonna say $3000 tops for the whole thing. If he's under 2k I'd go get it.

• Like 3

The Freightliner Guy

Well I’m just probably dumb but this is what I saw 

7D6C387E-9DE4-42CE-8CFE-57B8CAC4962A.png

• Like 2

Achto
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

Any thoughts on the mower?  I don’t recognize the axle design, but maybe it was added for ease of transport?

Most brush hog's are set up to run with a 3 point hitch, something not found on an H. Wheels were maybe added so it could be used with draw bar hitch.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 5

WHX??
7 minutes ago, Achto said:

3 point hitch, something not found on an H

Yeah kinda limits the implements... still for the price you could use it abit and ifn it doesn't grow on ya sell it for what ya got into it. 

• Like 1

Achto
17 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Yeah kinda limits the implements

Gotta look back at the time they were built. Back then Ford was mainly the only one using those new fangled Ferguson hitches.

The first IH number series used a 2 point "fast" hitch instead of a 3 point. This motivated you to buy IH implements.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

dalez

Pull behind cutter, without those wheels it would drag on the ground. I keep looking for one for my H but they tend to go for around $700ish around me.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

I've seen many pull behind bush hogs around here.  The rear of the bush hog deck looks fairly straight which might indicate it hasn't been used in much rocky ground or trying to shred too much small brush.  if you can look underneath it, check if the blade cutting tips are straight but need sharpening, or beat to hell from cutting rocks.  Cutting rocks tends to increase the chance that the blade/gear box shaft is slightly bent or the blade carrier to shaft is wobbly.  Also, like our tractor transmissions, sitting outside those shredder gear boxes tend to get water in them from the hole in the gearbox vent plug.  

Back in High School Ag Shop I split an H and rebuilt the transmission (with a lot of Ag Instructor help)  What this says is, if a a 17 year old can do it, their fairly straight forward to work on.

Now GO GET IT.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Just what Kevin needs. Something else to get hurt on! :)

Check the block good for cracks! 

• Thanks 1

T-Mo

Since the H will have the drawbar type hitch and all implements will most likely be the drag-type, having an axle on the brush hog is typical for that type of brush hog.

I paid $750 for my '41 H a couple of years ago, ran great, just needed the fuel tank clean (I put on an old 2 gallon lawn tractor tank to drive it), but no implements.  Hs are plentiful, being the most sold Farmall tractor and were made from 1939 to 1952 when the Super H replaced the H.  They're great machines, good size for most jobs, and parts should be readily available.

If you buy it, go here and register:  http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/index.php    With two posts you can access their pdf section and you will find manuals, literature, etc. on the H.  Free to download with 2 posts to your credit on that site.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
4 hours ago, T-Mo said:

needed the fuel tank clean

How did you clean it T-Mo? 

Dan and I are helping getting a neighbor's C running. I need to pull the sediment bowl and should flush the tank. Looks like the tank comes off easy enough with the hood off. 

The Freightliner Guy

Put gravel in the tank strap it to a tire and drive around at low speed it’s like a rock tumbler almost 

Edited by The Freightliner Guy

WHX??

Its more for the varnish inside. Its probably going th need some kind of solvent.

Thanks for the info on the brush hog @oliver2-44. Interesting I went to a dealer and got a quote on a new Mahindra. I had him option a 6' hog, about $800, but when I told him I would only use it once a year he suggested just come rent one. The areas I would use it is infested with rocks so why not beat up a rental? 

• Excellent 3

Achto
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

The areas I would use it is infested with rocks so why not beat up a rental? 

How much do they get for a flail mower?? They will take a lot more abuse.

Achto

Never mind, I just looked up the prices on a flail mower. :scared-yipes:

• Haha 1

WHX??

Yah unfortunately that would work best for what  need it for. Keeping roads open at the cabin. 

• Like 1