metzep

Onan p220. Valves. Somehow opening opposite of each other?

metzep

Have a  onan 220 with 1100hours.   Completed a valve check and clean..

With new gaskets..  put back together.  Barely started.. with carb  and exhaust backfire..

Stopped.opened valve covers..and rotate engine.   Now left and right cylinder. Are open and closing valves  oposite of each other.  ..they are suppost to  be in sync. Firing at the same time..

Question..what happened.how to correct...and is this even possible?

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

Hello and welcome to the forum you’ll find lots of useful information on your tractor from many people on here and sorry I don’t know what could be wrong I think @Handy Don might know I wish you good luck :handgestures-thumbupright:

..Kollin 

squonk

They don't fire at the same time. One cylinder is at compression, the other is at exhaust.

• Like 2

Handy Don
43 minutes ago, metzep said:

Have a  onan 220 with 1100hours.   Completed a valve check and clean..

With new gaskets..  put back together.  Barely started.. with carb  and exhaust backfire..

Stopped.opened valve covers..and rotate engine.   Now left and right cylinder. Are open and closing valves  oposite of each other.  ..they are suppost to  be in sync. Firing at the same time..

@lynnmor can jump in and confirm, but I think the misconception is that the cylinders fire at the same time. I think they alternate as your valve operation is showing.

The balance comes from the pistons moving in and out in sync. I'm fairly sure, as well, that there is a wasted spark on the non-firing cylinder between exhaust and intake for each cycle, since both plugs always fire at the same time (i.e. no distributor and only a single trigger sensor)

Ha, @squonk, ya beat me by that much!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Achto
47 minutes ago, metzep said:

Now left and right cylinder. Are open and closing valves  oposite of each other.  ..they are suppost to  be in sync. Firing at the same time..

:WRS:

I could be wrong and some one please correct me if I am. But your cylinders should fire opposite of each other not together. You have 2 spark pugs with only one coil so both spark plugs will always fire at the same time. One of the two plugs will always be firing on the exhaust stroke of one of the cylinders, while the other one will be firing on the power stoke of the opposite cylinder.

I would recheck your clearance gap on the valves. Make sure that the piston is at top dead center on the power stoke when you check them. Check one side then rotate the engine to get the other side to TDC, then check that one.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

squonk

If both cylinders fired at the same time, "there'd be a whole lotta shakin goin on!" Plugs fire together but cylinders fire 180° apart. spark is wasted. 

• Like 3

clueless
3 hours ago, squonk said:

If both cylinders fired at the same time, "there'd be a whole lotta shakin goin on!" Plugs fire together but cylinders fire 180° apart. spark is wasted. 

I'm thinking there might be more than "a whole lotta shakin goin on" possibly some "*** bop a loo bop Bam Bam".

• Haha 2

lynnmor

Both spark plugs fire at the same time, every other spark is just wasted on the exhaust stroke.

Turn the engine by hand till a valve is fully open then give it one more turn and then adjust that valve.  A chalk mark can be used for reference. Do this 3 more times.  The manual will cause confusion and it ain’t quite as good as the above.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1

clueless
2 hours ago, clueless said:

I'm thinking there might be more than "a whole lotta shakin goin on" possibly some "*** bop a loo bop Bam Bam".

So why did someone change what I posted to ***?

• Confused 1

rmaynard
38 minutes ago, clueless said:

So why did someone change what I posted to ***?

Oh the mysterious things that happen. Only the Grand Master Admin Karl can answer that one. I'm assuming that the word is considered offensive?!?!?

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

clueless
34 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Oh the mysterious things that happen. Only the Grand Master Admin Karl can answer that one. I'm assuming that the word is considered offensive?!?!?

Seriously? It's part of the lyrics from Little Richard's Tutti Frutti. Maybe frutti may be considered offensive also, we'll see.

• Heart 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, clueless said:

someone

I believe it's automatic, built in to the forum software.  There's a list of the seven words you can't say on television that auto censors.  Like if you type s.n.a.t.c.h block without the dots. ****** block

I can't figure why it censored 'bee' though!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Sad 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

3 hours ago, clueless said:

someone

I believe it's automatic, built in to the forum software.  There's a list of the seven words you can't say on television that auto censors.  Like if you type s.n.a.t.c.h block without the dots. ****** block

Yes, it is automatic using a fairly standard library of "colorful" words. For most sites that do this, the list gets regular updates to keep up with new, shall we say, expressions?

• Sad 2

RED-Z06
4 hours ago, clueless said:

Seriously? It's part of the lyrics from Little Richard's Tutti Frutti. Maybe frutti may be considered offensive also, we'll see.

W o p is considered a racial slur now...against Italians and southern Europeans.

Funny thing in a game i used to play...a tank warfare game, they introduced the German Spähpanzer I.C which they shortened to SPI(C)...which is a censored racial slur and thus crashed the game🤣 because it couldn't display the name.

• Haha 2

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

they shortened to SPI(C)

Yet, we can still go to the store and buy " SPI.C and SPAN " !

And I have to buy "Nyjer Seed" to feed the finches.

RED-Z06
Just now, Jeff-C175 said:

Yet, we can still go to the store and buy " SPI.C and SPAN " !

And I have to buy "Nyjer Seed" to feed the finches.

As with anything like that, it comes to intent.  I got a week off facebook for telling a guy his timing was retarded on his car because...obviously that word, which historically means to be slow or behind, can only have a negative connotation..

• Sad 4

953 nut

All my life my nickname has been (DICK) but the obstinate police in the software kept kicking it out so now I go by my given name of Richard on here. The way things seen to be going we won't be able to have a polite conversation about the good old days because the filters will remove all the good stuff.        :soapbox:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

rmaynard

Hey Richard. It looks like RedSquare forum will allow you to be a Dick. On April 30th I posted this:

"Happy Birthday Dick :occasion-cake:  Hope you have a great day!"

Maybe if it's capitalized it makes a difference by assuming that it is a name versus a description.

• Haha 2

lynnmor

This is only a test.  Test showed that the aforementioned word isn’t prohibited.

Edited by lynnmor

RED-Z06

Dick is an interesting word,

it can be a proper name,  "Hey Dick".  

It can be a noun, "Richard is a great detective, he's a nice dick"

It can be an adjective, Someone put water in my gas, they're a real dick.

It can also be a simple noun "I used a Profesional dick to investigate who put water in my gas, they said it was Dick so i kicked him in the dick"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

SylvanLakeWH

History is replete with examples… none good. Now we can use algorithms to do the dirty work… scary.

Statues

Photographs

Words

Place names

Books

What or Who is next?

• Sad 2

clueless

50 Years ago George Carlin listed the 7 words you can't use on television and radio, none were d-i-c-k or w-o-p. Administrators do you have a list of word I can't use here?:dunno::scratchead:.

• Haha 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, clueless said:

50 Years ago George Carlin listed the 7 words you can't use on television and radio

Political correctness and overbearing self appointed saviors of polite society have added a few words to the list I'm afraid!   :angry-tappingfoot:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

RED-Z06

We used to use the British word for cigarette alot, very casually in the early 00s when I was in high school...now its strictly verboten.

Edited by RED-Z06
  • Haha 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

We used to use the British word for cigarette alot, very casually in the early 00s when I was in high school...now its strictly verboten.

:thanks:     I had forgotten about that one, funny, the F has not been added to the LGBTQ alphabet soup yet.